PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up an Aqua UV

andro
09/23/2003, 09:29 PM
Just picked up and Aqua UV for my 75 gallon, hoping it will help get rid of the ich in its floating around the tank stage, as well as keep the water cleaner, pretty easy to set up, hopefully it helps.

nine9d
09/24/2003, 08:59 AM
Hey andro. Good luck with everything. I hope you get rid of that ick. I an sure the UV will give you the results you are looking for.

Tomzpc
09/24/2003, 09:35 AM
Having never owned a UV, I pose this question:

What is the best way to plumb a UV into your system? Is it fed on it's own line? Is it connected to the main return line?

Just curious.

Tom

andro
09/24/2003, 10:09 AM
I have mine in my sump with its own pump running water thru it. I did not want to take it off of my main return line because I did not want to restrict the flow any more than it is. When I get a stronger return pump, I am most likely going to tee off of that and put a ball valve to restrict flow and return it to my main.

Does anyone know what GPH is recommended to run thru a UV in order to make it more efficient? Mine it at 400 GPH now.

-Ian

vmiller
09/24/2003, 11:06 AM
Tom,

I'd say it depends on the size of the UV. I think it would make more sense to have a dedicated pump for larger units.

Ian,

The flow rate that will work best is based on a compromise between your system size and the capacity of the UV. You want the water to be exposed to the UV long enough for it to do it's job, but you also want to get your system volume through it as much as possible for obvious reasons.

You can find the capacity of your UV here:
http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/products1.html

I'd start with that and gradually reduce the flow if you're not seeing results.

Vin

seaham358
09/24/2003, 11:06 AM
Ian,
The slower you run the water through the UV the better. Your Unit should tell you somewhere the optimum gph. I think 400 gph is fast I would slow it down, but that is jmo. The light needs time to destroy what is in the water.
I run mine on its own pump also that way I can slow the water flow down without effecting the tank. I run in out of the sump nothing in the tank.
Bob

vmiller
09/24/2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by seaham358

I run mine on its own pump also that way I can slow the water flow down without effecting the tank

That's a good point for any application. It's no fun rebalancing everything else that is effected. Especially if it's a return that might cause a flood!

Tomzpc
09/24/2003, 12:15 PM
So are you guys just pumping out of the sump, through the UV, and then returning to the sump?

vmiller
09/24/2003, 01:14 PM
That's what I'm doing.

andro
09/24/2003, 02:17 PM
Yup, it goes into the UV from the skimmer side of my sump, then returns water tothe skimmer side of my sump.

Bob,

I have a ball valve that I am going to use to restrict the flow a little bit.

-Ian

seaham358
09/24/2003, 06:45 PM
I pump the same as the others all in the sump. Ian, I have mine cut back to almost half the original flow I ahve a rio pump dont remember the size maybe a 1700.

andro
09/24/2003, 07:38 PM
Bob, I think we have the same pump. I have mine cut back now also.

-Ian

occb2
09/24/2003, 10:20 PM
It all depends on the wattage of the UV bulb. The higher the wattage the less exposer time is needed with the water. I think that 300 Gals an hour is WAY to fast. Trim that back. I think if you can do the water amount of your take twice an hour then your fine. Also they have new UV's that coil around the UV bulb which gives you greater contact time. Those don't apply to that rule. IMO they suck. The coil is made from cheap plastic and if your pump dies, then the heat from the PC UV bulb inside melts the coil and you come home to a flood. Working at the fish barn, I've seen this twice already. Well good luck.
Rob