PDA

View Full Version : Banggai help, male won't keep eggs

Drewman
05/27/2001, 11:48 PM
Hello everybody,

I am looking for some advice, hints, tips anything, to help me get my male Banggai Cardinal to hold on to his eggs. My pair have spawned on many occasions, but each time the male eats or spits out the eggs within about eight days. The pair just spawned again today, and the male was well-fed for 2 months prior. I have tried to get them to spawn in a seperate tank, but both of them went absolutely nuts when I moved them out of the reef. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to get my male to keep the eggs till term? I'd really like to try my hand at rearing they fry, I just need a chance first. Thanks a lot!

Drew

If you want tank specs, you can find them here http://www.thereeftank.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000083 a little outdated, but you get the basic idea. Thanks in advance.

joezkool
05/30/2001, 09:15 PM
well I'm no pro at this, but I have a pair and noticed the same thing. Possible causes of the eggs being ditched are that the male just don't want to give up food to carry eggs. I read that in a few books about them. But hey can ya blame him? :) Also, do you have any aggressive fish that may be endangering the cardinal? He may feel unsafe without use of his mouth. Thats all I can think of for now man.

Terry B
05/31/2001, 12:44 AM
Ooops wrong thread.