PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa & Snails

Grumpy Vet
05/27/2001, 08:39 PM
Hi all. I am in the market for some Caulerpa for my refugium and also some snails. I have looked at many of the sites and am unsure w/ whom to go w/ for quality specimens at a really good price. I love the Caulerpa from IPSF but have had problems "connecting" in the past. The prices of the snails there also seem a bit high....

Anyone have any advice for someone recently weened off LFS?

Thanks for your time.

GV

Snailman
05/27/2001, 09:47 PM
http://www.premiumaquatics.com has the best selection and prices on snails that I have found anywhere. Caulerpa is another story. Most LFS and OLFS charge a small arm and leg for it. What type of Caulerpa are you looking for and I am be able to help?

and...

[welcome]

Grumpy Vet
05/27/2001, 11:14 PM
Thank you kindly for replying.

I was looking for several types of caulerpa actually. I am not informed enough to rattle off phylum and species but am intersted in the "tang food" type and also some that I can grow in both my seahorse tank (as it sucks up the phosphates, trates and other nasties)for the ponies to grab onto and also to put in my (work in progress) refugium.

I have tried the old "tang heaven" type from IPSF and have done well w/ it. I just lose it after a few months. I would order from them again - but I don't really need that much or the other items they offer in their 9/99 program.

My LFS in the Baltimore/Washington areas do not carry it - In an ideal world - I would have some red, yellow and green caulerpa as the seahorses and viewable refugium would be more attractive that way.

As for snails - I have only heard good things about those folks - your vote on them is appreciated and noted - I will check their site tonight. I need another clean up crew and need someone that will work w/ me as I am not a big fan of the crabs. Many "clean up crew specials" only are cost effective if you order crabs/snails/junk.......I am looking for flexibility.

Any help would be appreciated. Again - thanks for your time.

Snailman
05/28/2001, 07:14 AM
You have run into another person that has a 200 gallon reef tank and a 400 reef tank and NO CRABS. :D They are far more trouble than they are worth. The LFS and OLFS have sold us a bill of goods with these "cleanup crews". Dr Ron wrote a huge article about this so time ago. I have loads of Caulerpa prolifra. My LFS has it because I sell it to them. :) I have also sold lods of it on ebay. If you would like some let me know. I am in the DC/Balt area too. I also shipped it.

Grumpy Vet
05/28/2001, 08:35 AM
You are in the DC area as well? Shoot - I should have looked more closely at your profile. My apologies. Which LFS do you sell your caulerpa to?

I am familiar w/ several LFS in the area - but perhaps I am missing a good one. I do business w/:

Tropical Lagoon - Silver Spring, MD
Aquarium Center - Reisterstown, MD
House of Tropicals - Glen Burnie, MD
Roozen's Nursery - Ft. Washington, MD
Exotic Aquatics - Baltimore, MD
Totally Fish - Silver Spring, MD

Who am I missing?

I think the more and more I read (the more ticked off my wife becomes b/c I sit here in the office glued to this computer educating myself)the more I think that snails only is the way to go. I'm leaning towards a nice mix of Nass, astrea & turbos. W/ what little I know - I suspect as well that FS are using "cleanup crews" as a buzzword or trendy package to make some bills a bit more.

As for the caulerpa - if you would not mind telling me to whom you sell your caulerpa, or if you are interested in selling some to me via ebay or in person (whatever is convenient) that would be great. My seahorses & refugium/sump could use a healthy dose. Thanks again Snailman.

GV

mgk65
05/29/2001, 12:21 PM
Hi guys:

Not to butt in here, but I have heard good things about this place:

http://www.reefstore.com

5609E Sandy Lewis Drive, Fairfax, VA 22032

Directions - From 495, take Route 620, Braddock Road West. Go approximately 2 miles, take a left on Guinea Road. Follow to first light, make a left to continue on Guinea Road. Go approximately 1/2 a mile, make a left on Sandy Lewis Drive, look for 5609 on the left

Have you been to this place, Jon?

mgk

Grumpy Vet
05/29/2001, 07:00 PM
Not butting in at all - thanks for your concern...

Snailman e-mailed me directly and I quote:

"Two places you might want to check out are The Aquarium Center in Randlestown.MD (Baltimore) and The Reef Tank in northern Virginia."

It would appear you folks are talking about the same place. I may have to check that Reef Tank/Reef Store out sometime soon.

I checked out the website. I was surprised they are only open after 4 PM on a weekday - however they do have Nass snails at a reasonable price. I have been unable to find them at a LFS - so this may be a godsend.

Again - thanks for your time and interest. I may arrange to be there in the near future as they open up at 4:00 PM.

GV