PDA

View Full Version : Banggai fry successfully captured

OrionN
05/26/2001, 12:25 AM
My male Banggai Cardinal released his babies started yesterday evening after carrying them for 22 days. I was disheartened because I was not able to capture any of the fry. I got a 400 g tank with lots of current for SPS. He must release at least 5 that became Marine Beta's food. I saw this but could do nothing about it. This AM I got up early and able to capture 4 of the babies. I hit the jackpot this evening and was able to capture all 15 babies. I was able to catch every single one of the babies I saw.
Now I have 19 babies in a breeding cage in the sump/refugium. Not bad for the very first brood for both my Banggai and me. The babies are very large. They are fully color, like miniature adults and is about 1 cm. I can't see how he can have almost 30 of these in his mouth. I just fed them newly hatched brine shrimps this evening. All the babies eat well. They were all full when I finished. I will feed them again late tonight and early tomorrow AM. My refugium is lighted at night so I can feed them when I get home from work, late night and in the morning. I hope this will be enough. It is so exciting to be able to raise these fish.
Thanks Frank, Keith and the rest of you. It is really good to have all the information and know what to expect.
Thanks again.

OrionN
05/26/2001, 07:38 AM
By this morning, I got toltal of 23 Banggai babies. The very last was this morning in the refugium. The male have released all of his brood. I think this is it.
Just got to tell someone. My Banggais were not bad for their very first brood. I just can't get over the amount of baby fish he keep in his mouth.

Minh

Rod Buehler
05/26/2001, 08:25 AM
Congradulations Minh!!!. Banggai are great fish arent they?! There were 46 that I captured in the last batch that my male spit out. If I remember correctly, I think there was a post about 50+ fry relaesed not too longf ago.

FMarini
05/26/2001, 09:07 AM
Minh:
Congrats on both the brood and being able to scopp em up.
So for the next 10-15days make sure the banngers(thats my term for banggi fry) get lots of food and particularly ensure that the brine nauplii is enriched w/ both selcon and phyto's. I say this as you should have NO problem w/ the banggers for a couple of weeks, then you may experience the SFS. suden fright syndrome as you'll recall is a deficiency in the nervous system development caused mainly from the lack of HUFAs in the diet. This is by far the most common problem in these developing animals.
Rod is right on the money...thats a good size brood and it is amazing how many fry they can hold in their mouths. But so far a gal posted her animal had 55fry. AMazing....
Enjoy...the gift of fatherhood, and keep the male banggai away from the female, as he'll be w/ eggs again by the time you read this thread
frank

OrionN
05/26/2001, 11:07 AM
I can't get my Banggi from my main tank so I just hope for the best. The male Banggai eat with gusto this morning. He is so full that he seems to be about to bust. I plan to feed the tank like usual but will add another feeding when the light turn out so the Banggi will get more to eat. My sump gives the main tank a little light at night. The Marine Betta and the Banggai are very active at night.

For the babies Banggi I supplement the brine shrimp hatchling with Phyto but not Selcon. I need to get some this week somewhere. I plan to hatch just enough brine shrimps for one or two days each time and set up two bottles for it. I just experience with dripping brine shrimp and feel that it would work well for the last feeding before I go to bed each night. Hopefully, I can raise all 23 baby Banggi to adulthoods.

grif
08/21/2001, 12:00 PM
Sorry to dredge this back up from so long ago, but....

Where do I get brine shrimp to hatch for the fry when they come out? Also, how long do I feed them this?

Is there a all-inclusive place I can read up on caring fror fry?

FMarini
08/21/2001, 11:27 PM
Grif:
the biggest site for lots of how to info
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml

Also excellent sites w/ banggai (and fry info)
rodsreef.com, and atlantisaquatics.com
frank

PS type in banggai cardinal or banggai cardinalfish into any web browser, and you'll get all of my online articles (w/in the top 10 hits)