PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Wild Caught Fish

Snail Guy
09/16/2003, 05:58 PM
In a recent thread, the topic around releasing a wild caught fish back to the wild came up.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239135).

While searching Reef Central, I could only find limited discussion.
For now I'm not going to release any more wild caught fish (back to where they were collected) on the logic that disease may indeed be introduced into the wild. However, I feel this is a very conservative approach and suspect the risk is minimal if practiced within reasonable guidelines.

I would love to hear your opinions.
Are there any published studies on this?

Cheers,
Bob

Jimbo327
10/16/2003, 02:53 PM
Just don't release any fish back into the wild. You might feel it is conservative, but the potential to devastate the entire ecosystem is not worth the risk. There's always Murphy's Law, so don't even think about releasing any fish.

Jim

Snail Guy
10/18/2003, 02:32 AM
Jim, thanks for your reply! I thought this topic had become a dead horse. Glad to see that it is not as, I think, it is an important one.

Back in the late 1970's (or was it early 1980's? I forget), Steinhart Aquarium (in SF) had released a Great White Shark back into the ocean because it wasn't adapting well to captivity. There was a problem with the electrical wiring and a small leakage current was causing havoc for the young shark and its ability to cope in captivity. They determined it was best to release the shark.

Personally, I agree with their actions. But based on what has been said here, this was an irresponsible act. Or was this an exception to the rule? If so, why?

Cheers,
Bob

MiddletonMark
10/18/2003, 04:05 AM
I'd say that they probably know a LOT more about disease and other possible nightmare issues with re-releasing animals to the wild than any hobbyist.

Maybe I'm assuming that large public aquaria have good scientists on board [and that those scientists really know things] ... but IMO they have a far and away better idea of when this is allowable.

In my mind, I'd say never do it. How many species have we inadvertently introduced to the U.S., thinking it would be no problem and with little end effect? Hundreds at least, never mind the ones that came here unknown to us. Let's not start to play those games with the Ocean [as Chinese beetles are driving me friggin crazy recently ... and we'll have those forever now].

----

Case in point: Someone in southern Wisconsin just caught a snakehead [yeah, the ones we heard about a few years back]. Given it cannot live through winter here where it was at .... someone THIS SUMMER released it there.

Not to say most marine aquarists are that stupid, but yet it's a nice demo of how people don't realize the consequences of their acts [or at least all of them].

Doubt anyone will be owning snakeheads here come another year. I don't want one, but sad how one idiot changes everything.

npaden
10/18/2003, 09:45 PM
I would think a key factor if your tank was stocked with livestock that was 100% native to the area in question. Live rock, algae, corals, clams, fish, etc.

If not 100% native you get the risk of introducing a disease or bacterium that is not native to the area that could pose a significant risk to the native livestock.

Just my opinion, Nathan

Snail Guy
10/19/2003, 12:55 AM
MiddleMark,

Your points are well made. I would never suggest releasing non-native species into the wild.

Steinhart consists of experts in the field...no argument there. I used to volunteer there as a teenager and got to know a few of the staff at that time...they were great bunch of people and I learned much from them.

That said, is it possible that some of the preventative measures experts may use in the field can be adopted successfully by an average aquariust?

For instance, just as an aquariust may quaranteen a fish before placing into a display tank, this may be appropriate before release too.

Nathan,

You describe my setup, including the use of natural seawater from the same area. And I see this as a reasonable guideline.

Anyone care to join in....agree or disagree?

Cheers,
Bob

Schmev
10/30/2003, 04:25 AM
Even more scary, IMHO, is this:

A friend at work said his friend was fishing on South Pier on Lake Michigan (in Sheboygan, WI) and reeled in a large Piranha! I believe him 100%, I've heard the story twice now, consistent. Lake Michigan is obviously too cold for a tropical fish, but it was caught in the power plant discharge, where the water is much warmer year round. What makes it so scary is I take my daughter swimming at the nearby beach! Now I'm almost paranoid of swimming in lakes after hearing that.

We've also had a snakehead scare in the state. Without a doubt, from people freeing their pets because they can't bear to put them down or make arrangements for life elsewhere for the fish.

PRC
10/31/2003, 08:48 PM
Could you safely release an animal into the wild if it had been kept in a system that only contained items from its natural habitat? Probably, but why take the chance when you consider the potential impact? In my mind that chance, however small, of introducing an unfamiliar pathogen to the environment is just too big a chance to take. I guess the ideal answer is to never take anything out of the wild (or buy anything) that you know you can't support for the rest of it's natural life.
I would imagine that the type of assessment that the people at Steinhart did before releasing that shark into the wild was probably far beyond the abilities of the average, or even experienced aquarist. I would guess that they are probably some of the most knowledgable people in the world on the type of animal they were releasing. I think this is a very different issue than an amateur aquarist releasing animals into the wild, no?

GreshamH
10/31/2003, 10:22 PM
Back in the late 1970's (or was it early 1980's? I forget), Steinhart Aquarium (in SF) had released a Great White Shark back into the ocean because it wasn't adapting well to captivity. There was a problem with the electrical wiring and a small leakage current was causing havoc for the young shark and its ability to cope in captivity. They determined it was best to release the shark.

Didn't it die on them, or shorlty after?

(Don't mind the edited by tag, I just fixed the quote for you D)

Paul B
11/09/2003, 12:52 PM
I could see the argument of not releasing a non native species into the wild, thats just common sence. The Long Island Sound in New York is just full of Japanese shore crabs that were released from a Japanese freighter in new York harbor about 15 years ago. It is very hard to find native New York crabs anymore, but I still really do not see anything wrong with releasing native fish to native waters. I have kept local lobsters, crabs and various fish for study and released them where they were caught. The new York Aquarium and I would assume most major aquariums dump their tank water back into the ocean. I know the whale tanks are just recycled into the ocean. Also whatever is on the streets, after it rains just goes into the ocean. I am a boater, a diver and an envirnmentalist and I really cant see anything wrong with releasing a native animal to native water. If the animal has a disease I am sure that disease is prevalent in the local water as well. The ocean has been there a long time and the sea is well mixed. If there is a disease out there that can affect a certain animal than I'm sure some of the local fish already have it.
I am interested in this and I would like to hear another argument.

technoshaman
11/09/2003, 03:21 PM
I suppose it's an outside chance but I'd be worried about the released fish being a possible carrier for pathogens or parasites that might decimate other populations.

As a rule I say never ever release anything back into the ocean / stream/ lake - all those well intentioned caring release 'could' have catastrophic effects on local populations. See southern florida and parts of Louisiana and Texas for the kind of damage introduced fish species can have on native populations.

Some information on introduced species from NOAA - note some species we consider 'native' now were introduced - doesn't mean it's a sensible practice:

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/nnative/

National Park Service:

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Introduced+fish+species

PRC
11/10/2003, 06:00 PM
I think non native species are definitely the biggest and most obvious issue. There wa an interesting show, on the PBS I think, regarding the results of public aquariums releasing water into the ocean. They concluded that this was the cause of a major outbreak of caulerpa in the mediterranean sea. It wiped out all the local flora and as a result also killed off a significant amount of animals that relied on the local plants for food but could not eat the caulerpa. It seemed pretty clear form the evidence that it wa a result of a public aquarium, in Italy I think, dumping water into the sea.
The issue of releasing pathogens is far less obvious and probably far less likely to occur. They also mentioned this specific issue in another recent PBS special on turtles. They talked about the risks of releasing pet desert tortoises into the wild. These are a native species to the areas they were talking about. However thay said that the animals may have contracted diseases after living in close connection with humans and other domesticated animals abd that these diseases could wipe out entire populations of wild animals. Pathogens can be very localized and are capable of transferring between species so I would think that any mixing of species from different regions in the same system, even if not at the same time, could present a risk. I think the risk would probably be small, but it's one that I'd rather not take.
I think Paul B has pointed out a bigger issue with global shipping and the problems that is causes, but why take additional chances?

Snail Guy
11/11/2003, 12:22 AM
First off, thanks to everyone for joining in on this topic.

I must say that my opinion has not really changed. I still believe this is a very low risk practice (not referring to non-native species). Nor do I believe this practice will wipe out an ecosystem. I'm not trying to be stubborn here. It is just that the arguments presented thus far have not convinced me otherwise.
Just my opinion folks. :)

Opinion or not, it would be irresponsible for me to disregard the viewpoints expressed and I will continue to withhold from releasing wild caught fish until I have more information.

With a little planning and research, it is not difficult to decide which fish will make a good aquarium addition. Still, there are times when a fish may not adapt as well as expected. In these instances, it would be nice to know I could release it back to where it was found.

I encourage this thread to continue. Hopefully, a relevant study or two may come forth.

Cheers,
Bob

EdKruzel
11/11/2003, 11:40 PM
This topic has come up on other forums and sites quite often.

I myself would like to preserve our natural wonders; however being a realist I have come to accept that we as humans are as much of the ecological chain as any other creature.

As we move throughout the world we cause change. Not only for the better, not always for the worst; either way we cause change regardless. Native European birds hitched along with the sailing vessels coming to the new world and several hundred years later we believe that Robins, Swallows, Sparrows, Black Birds, etc... are native to this country.
90% of the insect life is native to other regions of our world but has become dominant over like species originally here.

We've seen Zebra Mussels in the Great Lakes, Lionfish in the Atlantic.
Here in El Paso we have European Goats and Ibex from Africa in the nearby mountain range.

For those of you that have heard of Piranha, Snakeheads, and other tropical fish in freshwater and don't believe they can survive a winter; guess again.

I witnessed a very small and shallow city park pond being drained after a harsh Pennsylvania winter. This pond is about 1 acre and only 2-3' deep. What were found living were two Snakeheads, several Oscars and Firemouths, and one Pike Cichlid.
The stocked Bluegill and Perch were gone.

Over near Paul B, (How's that LI live rock?) in lake Ronkonkoma, a few children caught a large Oscar while Ice fishing.

Ecosystems change and the strong will survive.

Just my $.02

oama
11/12/2003, 01:48 AM
Bob
I got a Brown Tree Snake. Want to release it back into the wild. Can I ship it to you? J/K

I think what your are asking about has to deal with a very finite scope, and the opinion of a very large audiance.

Having spent much of my life on islands and been involved with marine bio, diving and collecting... I have often encountered people with tanks that are totally populated from local stock. These tanks are the exception! and thus should be treated seperately from the general rule.

Most are aware of all of the issues mentioned. But, if you have collected a fish from your tide pool, and it is not playing well with others, I see no problem with releasing it.
Now I am talking about TOTALLY local stuff. Rock, sand et al.!

You, unlike most people, are in this position. Why would anyone import fish to Guam? But then, you never know....

Paul B
11/12/2003, 08:40 AM
EdKruzel
Lake Ronkonkomo is doing fine. I am surprised they found an oscar in there. The lake is large enough but it freezes over in the winter. The fish may have been dumped in that year. Also the Long Island rock is still the best.
After saying that I would also like to mention that the Gulf Stream flows a few miles past Coney Island in Brooklyn. We get all kinds of tropical fish here in the summer. Butterflies, triggers and puffers. We also have a large breeding population of Hippocampus Erectus seahorses (that I raised a few times) I think these migrating tropical fish should be harvested for hobbiests (not the seahorses because they are breeding) These fish will not survive the winter and I think they must be very hardy to survive the trip. Also it should have no impact on the envirnment because they are imported. The water temp here in the winter goes to about 40 degrees. I have collected the butterflies and they do well in a tank. Also I believe I gave them a lease on life.

EdKruzel
11/12/2003, 01:00 PM
Paul,
It's been some time since I left the Island and forgot about the Caribbean Highway.
For those that have never had the chance to witness this current change it is pretty amazing.
During the summer months a huge stream of water takes a large swing up from the Caribbean and flows as high as the Boston area in some years. From a boat you can actually see the difference.
I don't consider the fish found in this stream to be migrating. I believe that they were just unfortunate and got caught in the change while floating with the Sargassum weed.
Those fish will most likely parish when the currents dissipate.

The waters off of Long Island are cold (I think I remember 40's in August, LOL while swimming Mastic Beach) and any of the tropical's are lucky to have been caught by a hobbyist.

For anyone in that area that wanted to do a cold water system they could stock the tank in no time with very little effort.
At the boat docks in Port Jefferson; the pilings are encrusted with soft corals and sponges.
I don't think a few local hobbyists there would cause much of a negative impact on the ecosystem.
Through experience and education, it may be a positive effect.

Nice running across you again Paul,
Take care,
Ed

wasp
11/17/2003, 07:14 AM
Also, The idea of releasing the fish we love sounds all warm and fuzzy and all, but the reality is, it will be getting dropped into an environement already highly competitive, and have to compete against other fish in the same niche.
The other point is, that you could have given it away or sold it. Not selling it means that instead, the other person will buy one elsewhere, ultimately resulting in the removal of another one from its natural habitat.
Having said all that, I do believe there are some circumstances where a fish or other organism could be released, but there is a lot involved in getting it right.
I actually released some anemones that had outgrown my tank, but did a lot of research first, and I also go and visit them from time to time, they are still there.