PDA

View Full Version : Local fish stores...

MBvash
09/15/2003, 08:39 PM
First off hello everyone.

I am pretty new to fishkeeping was just wonddering what are the better fish stores in the metro area. I've been going to Something Fishy for my fish and supplies (boy thier live rock is spendy!). So whats out there as far as stores in the area go?

JnS
09/15/2003, 10:06 PM
well all the store in the metro are going to be more then buying from hobbiests and small business (like myself).
edge has a list on his site, I am sure he will post a link.

Jerry

MBvash
09/16/2003, 12:53 AM
Cool, never really thought about that... well as far as frag swapping I won't be doing anything like that for awhile but wheres the best way to get around to buying fish from individual aquarists and "small business" folk?

Is there a standard forum that alot of people in the minnesota area go through?

manderson0805
09/16/2003, 01:00 AM
MV, Jerry can get you anything you want, a lot cheaper than the LFS...what type of lighting do you have on your tank? Skimmer? I have some green star polyps you can have if your tank is up to par to start stocking it. Mike

MBvash
09/16/2003, 01:12 AM
Well my tank is pretty new, I got it cycled. Then added some yellowtailed dwarf damsels, then a half black dwarf angel. Then removed the damsels cause one of em was harrassing my dwarf. Dwarf got sick and just started a hospital tank treatment with Maracyn two today. Well my main tank seems to be going strong just needs some fish in it now :) .

I really want to keep my tank FO mixed with some hardy inverts for a couple years before I decide to jump into reef keeping.

Future additions I am looking at are a Fuzzy Dwarf lion for sure, been looking into the possibility of a snowflake eel... been told by more people then not that one would work in a 55 but I tend to think it seems a bit small. Keeping my eyes open for other preditory type animals that would be comfortable in a 55.

But my priority right now (after getting my dwarf feeling better) is to get more live rock in my tank, currently only about 10 lbs with about 20 lbs of base rock.

MBvash
09/16/2003, 01:18 AM
Ack, got a little off track... I got 48" 140watt high output compact flourecent lighting, Bak-Pak2 skimmer/biofilter, 48" 55 gallon tank. All the peramitors(sp?) have been great been doing 10% water changes every week: 0 ammonia and nitrites, with about 5 nitrate, pH around 8.2, temp fluctuates from 78-82. Anything else?

EdgeKrusher
09/16/2003, 09:05 AM
Here's the list of LFSs for Minnesoata we are working on compiling. The Reefer (http://ambuscaded.com/edge/).
Just click the LFS List link and you'll be there.

Peace

Enjoy

Happy Times

and all that crud. :D

Edge

FastFish720
09/16/2003, 09:55 AM
Hey since you live in Hopkins I can probably hook you up with some stuff. My mom works there, I did it for Edge. Edge you should come on AIM more

EdgeKrusher
09/16/2003, 10:16 AM
I would FF but I don't have internet access right now. I'm moving in less than two weeks. Oh, and all those Strombus snails I got from you liked my MiniJet 606 so much they decided they'd sacrifice them selves to it. I'm kinda dissapointed, not at you, but at the stupid snails. I got to figure something out to keep my next batch from getting crazy with the Power head.:) I will be getting more from you, if you don't mind, but it'll be a couple of weeks. Let me know when you have some ready.

Peace

Edge

FastFish720
09/16/2003, 10:39 AM
I have some right now, I just gave away 20 at the meeting to JNS and Swan. I have filters on all of my powerheads or a case around it. Where are you moving to?

EdgeKrusher
09/16/2003, 12:30 PM
I'm moving to Savage, it's about 25 min south of Hopkins on a bad day. Where do you get the covers? It seems only the MiniJet 606 draws the snails to their deaths.

JnS
09/16/2003, 12:34 PM
MBvash,
get a hold of me throught PM and I will inform you a bit more on how my pricing works and such.

Jerry