PDA

View Full Version : Agenda for the meeting

seaham358
09/15/2003, 06:59 PM
Just thought I would throw out some type of formal agenda for the meeting.
What are some topics that we can talk about?
Membership cards / graphics for card, I have a laminator so I can take care of that end of the cards, I would be willing to print them also if no one else is interested in doing that. Was looking for help/ideas with graphics,
Group buys so we can save on shipping costs.
Setting up swap/sell frag night.
Hopefully I will be able to make it. I will bring some Kenya Tree corals if anyone is interested let me know so I know how many to bring. I also have some type of polyp that looks like xenia. Frank calls it (spelling) aphellia. Frank will correct this Im sure... I have way too much on my rocks so I will be harvesting if anyone is interested. I am looking for zoos or shroons if anyone has any to trade.
Hope to see you all there...............Bob

Franks Reef
09/15/2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by seaham358
I also have some type of polyp that looks like xenia. Frank calls it (spelling) aphellia. Frank will correct this Im sure... I have way too much on my rocks so I will be harvesting if anyone is interested.

Yeah Bob, close....they are anthelia polyps. Very similar to xenia. They spread like crazy. Pinkish color w/ a white center.

We definitely need to get the membership cards started. i'll help you out on those Bob.

I have a bunch of different types of macro algae to share.

Tomzpc
09/15/2003, 08:09 PM
Now we need to find someone in the Club who is creative enough, or knows someone who is creative enough, to design a logo for the cards. A web site would be nice too. I seem to recall Frank offering some of his expertise in that area. ; )

By the way Frank, I apologize for never making time to get that Kenya Tree and Colt frag from you and am still interested if you have them available.

I'd probably be more than willing to take some anthelia off your hands too Bob.

I still have two Green Button Polyp (palythoa) Rocks to move if anyone is interested. One smaller rock (shown in the pic) and one larger bridge or arc shaped rock loaded with polyps. They are both available to HVRK members for soft coral frags, nice zoo frags, or a frag or two to be named later. = )

I apologize for the blurriness of the photo. The pic was taken under VHO actinics only.

nine9d
09/15/2003, 09:13 PM
I can attempt to whip something up. Here is something I did in a few minutes.

http://raynajohn.com/images/hudson.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas of what they would like to see? Or does anyone have ideas to share. Maybe we can incorporate designs! Thanks.

Tomzpc
09/15/2003, 10:10 PM
Wow...we have some talent in our midst. I like the clown swimming through the R! One idea that I had in my head all along was to have a span bridge shown in the background, sort of as a symbol for the Hudson Valley, and then have a few fish swimming around in the foreground. It's probably a lame idea but I figured that I'd toss it out there. :D

I recall seeing how another club held a contest among its members for the club logo design. Several were submitted and then voted upon. I don't recall if they chipped in for a prize or anything. Maybe we can get Ed or someone to donate a prize?

nine9d
09/15/2003, 10:36 PM
A contest would be cool. Although I have seen some of the "best" ideas come from when multiple people are working on a project. The idea may look good, but than someone else can add their flare to it and make it even better. I have no problem working with others if we want to go that route or having others alter my design. I also thought of the bridge because it is such a huge symbol for Hudson Valley. A lot of people use it in their design; I don't see why we couldn't try something with it.

andro
09/16/2003, 08:00 AM
I will see what I can come up with also. I think a website would also be a good idea, I was thinking about it the other day. I have made a few sites in the past, so I will see what I can do.

I like the idea about the bridge in the background, I will see what I can do with that.

nine9d
09/16/2003, 09:40 AM
That would be great if we could see more ideas. Maybe at the next meeting we should all collaborate and bring some ideas to the table on what we would like to see/have on our site. I have also made a bunch of websites in the past. I am sure we have a lot of great talent out there that can get this thing going.

Has any roles been established within the HVRK (Hudson Valley Reef Keepers) group? As in... Pres., Vice., Treasurer, etc...?

Well either way, here is another stab at a down and dirty idea. LMK what you all think. I take criticism very well :). Thanks again.

http://raynajohn.com/images/reef.gif

seaham358
09/16/2003, 12:21 PM
They both look good... If you could Maybe lighten the bridge up some and place it in the background of the first one so it stretches from one side to the other. And along the bottom where the wavers are add something with color over the wave, corals, yellow/purple tang, flame angle. I think we can print them out on business card stock. On the back I would want to see the individuals name typed and signed and a member date. Ross what photo prog are u using. What is your e-mail so if I find any good bmp pics Ill send them. Bob
seaham358@aol.com

seaham358
09/16/2003, 12:24 PM
Are there any members that have good quality digital pics that we could use on the card. Anyone have anything we can look at to see if it will work on the card post a pic of it and we can try and work it in.....

nine9d
09/16/2003, 01:16 PM
Hey Bob (and all),
I used Adobe Photoshop to make the logo/card. When I get in tonight from work I will give it another shot with your thoughts. Thanks for your comments.

If anyone has pictures, they can send them to me at nine9_d@hotmail.com. You can send jpg, gif, bmp, whatever.

I would still like to see what people have to offer. Sometimes when others put their ideas out there, it can spark something and you can combine ideas. I do have another idea that I would like to show tonight, but I have yet to start to do it. Thanks again.

P.S. - If anyone wants to attempt to do one and needs help, please let me know.

andro
09/16/2003, 01:34 PM
Bob,

I have a Canon G2 4 megapixel camera, if you want me to take a picture of anything, let me know. I am pretty good at taking photos of things in my tank.

-Ian

Franks Reef
09/16/2003, 05:13 PM
I like the second one!

feel free to use any of my pictures on my webshots acct.

http://community.webshots.com/user/reeffool

Tomzpc
09/16/2003, 05:36 PM
Very Cool Nine9d! Great start so far!

Like Bob mentioned, I was thinking more like a fainter image of the bridge rather than a photo, sort of a bridge schematic or line drawing, and have the bridge centered over most of the card from left to right instead of angled as in the last one.

I love the clowns and think that they have to be there, being a clown lover. I'm not big on the seahorse though, considering very few of us, if any, actually keep them. Maybe a blue linkia or something else colorful.

Just my thoughts and ramblings on what you've done so far. I don't speak for the Club. These are just some personal thoughts.

Tom

nine9d
09/16/2003, 05:59 PM
Hey all,
Thanks for the great feedback. I just got in from work and will whip something up tonight.

Frank has some fabulous pictures on his site and I plan to attempt to use some of them.

Tom,
Your suggestions are well appreciated. We can change any image that people see fit. I just used the seahorse because it was something I found real quickly. I will attempt to do a few things with the bridge, and maybe even a schematic for the surveyor in you (j/k)!

Ian,
If you come up with something please post it for us to view. If you don't have time to whip something up, but have the time to take some photos, send some my way. I think it would be great to use the member’s photos in the logo/card.

Maybe that could be another idea, if possible, get a photo of your favorite fish/coral/anemone in your tank and we can put it on the back of the business card and make it big enough to fit your name and member info. within it. It was just a thought, hopefully not too lame. HA!

I will chat with you all later on tonight after I get some more things together. Thanks again.

nine9d
09/16/2003, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone,
I didn't have too much time to get things together as I liked to. With that being said I will post some links here for you to check out some ideas.

Link #1 (http://raynajohn.com/images/hudson_sm2.jpg)
Link #2 (http://raynajohn.com/images/hudson_sm1.jpg)
Link #3 (http://raynajohn.com/images/reef2.gif)

I don't want to clog the thread with a bunch of images. Just tell me which you like if any. I did not have time to do anything real dramatic and sorry Tom for no schematics :( Talk to you all soon.

andro
09/17/2003, 07:04 AM
Nine9d,

I will send you a link to my photos later on today if I have time, I have been so swamped with work I have not had the chance to.

-Ian

andro
09/17/2003, 07:59 AM
I had some pictures from work and put this up really quick, I have thousands more at home. I have too much fun with my camera taking pictures :-p

-Ian

andro
09/17/2003, 08:00 AM
forgot the link :-p

http://foxweb.marist.edu/users/ian.becker/fish/tank.htm