PDA

View Full Version : Inflow/Outflow pipe questions

JohnM99
09/14/2003, 01:18 PM
First, thank you for writing such clear and detailed articles. I have read parts 1-3 (a few times over - it takes a while to sink in).

I am going to get a 90 gal tank, 48l x18w x 24h, and am thinking of putting a center-back overflow in, perhaps 16x5", with a sump/refugium in the stand below.

I have been advised to separate the flow for the skimmer compartment, and the refugium, so there is fast flow to the skimmer, and slower flow through the refugium part. I had posted a sump plan on this board, and then Entropy posted a better one -
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241137

I wonder about putting larger pipes in than minimum, in case I want to increase flow some time down the road - maybe two pipes draining the tank into the sump, one of them 2" and one at 1", with a return of perhap 1" or 1.25".

For the return pump I was thinking of something like a Mag9.5 or Eheim 1262 with about 900 gph at 0 head. The total head pressure in my system would be about 6 ft.

I thought I would split the return into two, one directed at each side of the tank.

Do you think these pipe sizes are OK, or would you use something else? what flow rate would you use? I am planning to have fish and soft corals.

Thanks very much.
John