PDA

View Full Version : Factors affecting Banggai Reproduction

ricochet
05/24/2001, 04:27 AM
Frank or anyone,

I have a pair of Banggai's which have produced four broods since I attained them from a LFS some 9 months ago.The last brood produced was in December, a month before I went to NYC for my first holiday in 8 Years!

When I left for NY, the male was holding a brood with a week to go, I had someone minding the house and tank and didn't delve into the aspects of raising Banggai's with them, it was beyond their scope.

I presume the male released the brood into the water column of the main tank and were consumed by it's inhabitants or him!.

At the end of March another brood was brooding:D and it was aborted at the end of week two for some reason (all obvious water parameters where consistent).

Since then no further broods have been attempted by the male. The female is more than willing, shimmying, clucking and the like but to no avail. The male seems to be interested and interacts with the female but no eggs yet!

Can you tell me if the fact that a few broods went by the wayside, the male knows it may futile to try again, or is he just hanging back calling the shots. Are there other factors that ay be involved such as tank mates, chemical excretions of corals? etc....

Regards

Paul