PDA

View Full Version : After De-parisiting a bacterial infection occurs?

justus
05/23/2001, 06:32 PM
A while back I purchased a coral beauty. When I got it home and put it in my reef I turned off the lights so he could calm down. The next day I noticed a tiny white hair-looking thing on the side of his head. I then posted on these boards and detirmined that the best course would be a fresh water dip to remove the parasite. The parasite dropped off after two minutes in fresh water.
Now the hair is gone but a white circle seems to be protuding from the same area. The circle seems to be growing as well. What should I do about this? He is eating and swimming fine otherwise.

Breef
05/23/2001, 06:43 PM
Usually when something bites me I bleed or at least the white part of the blood comes out,plasma.I suspect that in the case of a fish this same thing happens.I have witnessed it on occasion,and in different circumstances such as a wound inflected by another tank inhabitant.Also by self-inflected injury.I would think that the best thing to do would be to make sure the tank had some kind of profilactic solution added to it to help in the building of the body slime. I personally don't know of a good one except for some of the ones put out by Mark Weiss. When I kept freshwater tanks I used Aquarisol a product that contained a very small ammount of a copper solution.It worked perfectly for keeping ick from getting into my tanks but this cann't be used in a saltwater tank for obvious reasons.

Breef
05/23/2001, 06:48 PM
I did have a problem with a type of fungus on a sailfin that I bought. I took it out,with a net and scraped the fungus off and opened a capsule of Kanacyn,a colorless antibiotic,and sprinkled a small ammount on the area,which helped the wounded area to heal without further problems.

rshimek
05/24/2001, 06:15 AM
Moving this thread to the Marine Fishes Forum, where you will find more expert help than I can give.

:D