PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane!!!!

Simbo18
09/11/2003, 06:23 AM
Ok, it's about here and is more than likely going to make us evacuate...... there's still a chance Isabel will change course but It dosn't look to be that way. I was wondering what everyone is going to do if this monster dose hit?? Are you leaving, staying, moveing further away for a few days, statying at a shelter nearby?? What?? And I think my mom is going to buy a generater for me (she also wants her hair dryer......) but I know nothing about generaters, so how big of one would be safe to get in order to keep my tanks running??
The swell is here already, sometime today, maybe this evening so that means it's close and charging. What should we do?? LOL I don't even know if my house will withstand another hurricane, the winds are up to 145 and lets hope that drops a little.

Luke

skipm
09/11/2003, 08:41 PM
You don't need a really big generator to keep the tanks going, the main things you need to keep constant is the air supply (some kind of aeration or your return pump) and temp. Lighting would be nice but wouldn't be absolutely necessary to have all of the time like it is now.
I have no idea what the storm is going to do or what I will end up doing. Did you have a BIG Charleston Reefer party in mind? See you saturday, Skip

Simbo18
09/12/2003, 07:09 AM
Well, looks like I'll be staying at my house, I'll probably camp out in the kitchen since it's in the middle of the house and from what it looks like in the attic it has the most support...... So hopefully when that big oak tree comes down it won't hit me too hard. :D I should have a video of the hurricane for anyone who is not statying.... I might try to say something in the video but who knows if you would be able to hear me over all the wind. LOL I don't think I'll make it to the meeting, I have a lot to do if I am going to get ready for this hurrican.... My dad is in Taiwan so I'll be getting my neighbor, just moved in, to help out with the boarding, moving pets, takeing down things, ect. ect.... It seems like there is a never ending list of things to do befor a hurricane.

While on the subject of meetings, I do belive my brother would like to join. I gave him the nano tank I set up and it does quite well besides the algae. I havn't kept up on the tanks all that well, enought for them to grow. LOL grow is right. I have like a cubic foot of coraline algae on my 38 gal.'s front glass. LOL. oops. The stupid bubble anemone in the nano kept moving around until he found "his crevice" and stung the crap out of all my sps's. And why did I get another anemone.....??:rolleyes: Good news is the anemone is happy with two goldbar maroons and there is also a six line in there. The sixe line is only about a half inch so he's perfect for the nano (5 gal. hex). Well I'm out, I think my computer teacher is heading this way.

Luke

oceanarus
09/12/2003, 05:47 PM
Got a generator (years ago), got fresh batteries & plenty of battery powered air pumps. Not going anywhere. I am hoping I live far enough inland to not have to much problems.

Evacuated for Floyd (lived in an apt in north chuck at the time) and came back to no power and my snowflake moray on the floor. He must have just got out of the tank, cause he was flopping around on the floor ****ed as hell.

I think I'll be coming to the meeting tomorrow. First one. I have to work, but my work is near the meeting place so I think I'll just take a long break and swing by.

skipm
09/12/2003, 06:18 PM
I hope that you can make it tomorrow, I look forward to meeting you. Skip

minfinger
09/13/2003, 01:09 AM
I went to Lowes and bought their 5500 Watt Generator, cost a pretty penny. Lucas, Lowes in West Ashley is getting in 125 Generators at least that's what they said. I had to go to Mt. P for mine. But if I don't have to use it and I don't open the box, I can take it back :D

Oceanarus...Hope you can make it...Do you really have 40+ tanks? I'm looking into to starting a Coral business and I'm hunting down Space...Not cheap around here, even for cheap space LOL

parrothead
09/13/2003, 01:25 AM
I experienced Hurricane Andrew when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale...best wishes to all of you in SC.