PDA

View Full Version : Sea Horses

megan
05/22/2001, 11:32 AM
Anyone have an opinion on setting up a seahorse only tank?
Where might a good place to start researching be?
Thank you.

ATLANTIS
05/22/2001, 11:39 AM
check out http://www.seahorse.org

JohnL
05/22/2001, 02:09 PM
Hi Megan,

Welcome to Reef Central :)

We also have a seahorse forum here at RC. I am moving this thread there for you.

SeaNemesis
05/22/2001, 06:37 PM
Tank setup varies with the type of seahorses you want to keep. Larger species versus the dwarf species. They have completely different needs. If you would let me know what type of seahorses you want I will be more than happy to offer you what may suggestions may be.

Airel
05/22/2001, 09:23 PM
Hi Megan,
If you are not certain about what type of horses you would like to keep, maybe you have an idea of what size tank you want. Even the size tank can give us a good idea of what proper set up you would need and what horses you can house in that size tank. Remember when choosing tanks and horses that it is like every other aspect of this hobby. Addictive!!!

Best of Luck and welcome to the facinating world of Seahorses!!
DeAnne :)

megan
05/23/2001, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware there was a seahorse forum. First off I have a 20 gallon high tank I thought about putting them in. I'm not sure if this will work because I have a maroon clown and a pygmy angel along with a few corals with a swift current. I would be more than willing to setup another tank, any suggestions on what is best would be appreciated. As far as what kind of horse?
If there is one that is more hardy or easier for a novice I would be leaning that way till I gain more knowlege. I just started researching yesterday so I am open to any suggestions anyone has. I'm not in a rush.Thanks for the help. This place is great!

Airel
05/23/2001, 10:42 AM
Hi Megan,
I personally would not keep horses with the tankmates you have. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just wouldn't recommend it. A 20H is the smallest tank recommended for the larger species of seahorses. As in anthing else in marine aquaria, the larger the better!! Seahorses are VERY addictive and you'll always want more!! When picking out a tank for your herd, remember that horses need extra height. You need 3X the adult size. For instance, if you purchase a horse with a max. adult size of 8" then you need a water column of 24". So, your tank needs to be at least 26" if you have a 2' substrate. Make Sense??

As far as a source for purchasing horses, none is better than Ocean Rider. http://www.oceanrider.com These horses are tank raised and trained to eat frozen mysis before leaving their home. Feeding is NOT an issue with these horses as it is with wild caught horses. OR (Ocean Rider) horses are very hardy and disease resistant, unlike wild caughts.

HTH and please don't hesitate to ask more questions,

megan
05/23/2001, 12:40 PM
If you order the horses from Ocean Riders can you purchase the mysis at a local store or must it come from them? Also, do you keep live rock or just simple decorations for the horses to hang on to?
Thank You.

Airel
05/23/2001, 01:30 PM
Hi Megan,
Ocean Rider used to sell the PE Mysis but I do not believe they do anymore. I'm assuming because of shipping issues. The horses take 2 days to get from Hawaii to your home and that's just too long for frozen foods. I purchased my first packs of PE mysis from Jason at Premium Aquatics. I had contacted him about the mysis and he didn't carry it but checked into it after I inquired. Next thing I knew, I had an email from Jason that he had the PE Mysis. Now, THAT'S customer service!!!! I then contacted my lfs and they also stock it now. So, if you can't find a local source, you can always order from PA. http://www.premiumaquatics.com

Another idea is to contact Patsy at PE. She can put you in touch of a distributor near to you if there are any. I'll try to get that e mail address for you.

I do use LR with my horses as well as a few corals. Pictures of my tanks are located at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deannel1

They hitch on the LR and basically everything else also!! The heater, filter, etc.!!

HTH,

megan
05/24/2001, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the help Airel.
You tanks look beautiful. What size are they?,
and how hard is it to keep one of those sponge
trees? Sorry for so many questions.
Megan

Airel
05/24/2001, 07:40 AM
Hi Megan,
Thank you so much for the compliments on my tanks. They are both 45gal with plans to upgrade sizes VERY soon!! The sponge trees are beautiful. I've had mine since Sept. 2000. About 8 months. It is obvious that great care was taken before reaching my home. Sponges are to never touch air and mine was in perfect condition for several months. Only recently has it started showing signs of decay. I baby it in hopes that it will recover.

Please don't apologize for asking questions!! I love helping others with their horses.

HTH and please don't hesitate to ask more questions!!!!

megan
05/24/2001, 12:34 PM
Is a 20gallon high tank ok? I have one already with a stand, lighting and all that, or should I go bigger. I am leaning toward the bigger horses, although as of right now I was only going to get 1 or 2 pair. That leads to yet another question. How many can safely be put in a tank this size? It would be strictly for horses with coral and maybe 2 cleaner shrimp.
Thanks Megan

Airel
05/24/2001, 02:04 PM
I believe the bigger the better!!! But the 20H is just fine to start with. You can comfortable keep up to 6 larger species horses such as the Oceanrider Mustangs, Sunbursts, Fire Reds or Brazileros.

HTH,