PDA

View Full Version : Return route

maffs
09/09/2003, 09:43 AM
Greg,

thanks for your artciles on sumps. I am in the process of putting togethe rmy first tank with a sump that will run an ecosystem with Miracle Mud. I think I have most things worked out in my mind, except the best way to get the water back into the dispaly tank. I am just about to order the display tank and can have it drilled. I am planning two 2 inch holes in the corners for the weirs. What are the options for getting the water back in, though? And which would you recommend?

Thanks,

Matthew.

gregt
09/09/2003, 10:43 AM
Getting the water in the tank is much less complicated. Because it's under pressure and not draining you don't have as much problem with flow and noise.

I guess, in a nutshell, the major things to think about would be whether you want to hide your return plumbing, how the plumbing might impact your stand or hood design. You always want to size the plumbing as large as is convienient, and use as few turns in the plumbing as possible to get as much flow out of the pump as possible.

You can drill the tank on the bottom or the back and put the return plumbing through the tank to avoid having the plumbing visible externally, or you can run the plumbing externally and hide it some other way.

Then there's oscillating devices, eductors, spray bars, etc, etc, etc....

Sounds like a good topic for another article. ;)

maffs
10/01/2003, 11:40 AM
Greg,

I'm putting together the final pieces of my set-up. I am planning a flow of about 850gph. I initially wanted two 1.5inch drain holes, but my local guy only has drill bits for 1 inch. The calculator says that I need a minimum drain hole size of 1.2inches. Do you think that two holes of 1 inch will do?

Thanks,

Matthew.

gregt
10/01/2003, 01:48 PM
2 1" holes should be able to handle 850 gph without a problem.

maffs
10/01/2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks Greg.

Matthew