PDA

View Full Version : smiller's TOTM

skylsdale
09/03/2003, 09:16 PM
Hey Steve, congrats on the honor! I had checked out your website and photos quite a few months ago, but just a couple days ago came upon your website and tank setup again. Beautiful! I love the shadows and variation of light levels in your tank; makes it much more interesting that those completley soaked with light. I also noticed that you just use NO actinics...just curious why? Was the pendant cheaper that way?

Keep up the good work!

smiller
09/04/2003, 02:36 PM
I am glad someone sent me this link. I never would have seen it! Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed the website.

There is a variety of light levels across the tank with only 2-250s spread across 68" of tank. The far left side is fairly low light and the far right side is very low light. Never a problem with the softies taking advantage of it though. The NO actinics are what was standard with the Giesemann system when I bought it. Although they are only 84 watts, they do make a difference in the look of the reef. I wish they were VHOs for a little more of a blue look, but I am happy with them.

Thanks again. Love your avatar BTW.:)

bmcq
09/04/2003, 06:32 PM
Beautiful tank .... and very well written description to go with a TOTM. I too like the idea of a mixed tank and I think after reading about your succes and seeing the end result I will start running carbon on my system!!! I also agree with the lower lighting such as you have. I am of the belief that lighting is the key to the success of our "little oceans" ... but I don't believe more is better!!!! Congrats on TOTM ( well deserved ) !!!!!

smiller
09/04/2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks Bob and/or Brenda.:) The write-up was fun to do, but not easy for someone who is out of practice in that field!

I think nice tanks are possible with many different light choices, and I agree......more isn't always better. I have seen some great tanks with 175s, VHOs and PCs. And of course some beauties that are loaded with 400s! It can all work. I have never considered changing from my 250s...I am sold on the HQIs.

mrrrkva
09/04/2003, 07:15 PM
Your photography is beautiful!!! Great pics and AWESOME setup. What kind of camera did you use?

smiller
09/04/2003, 07:34 PM
Many of the pictures were taken by Travis Staut, a reefer and professional photographer. I forget what he camera he has, but he posted on the TOTM thread under "TS" and said what he uses. Lots of different lenses too!

Thanks for the kind comments!

alexmarto
09/04/2003, 08:36 PM
Lindo!!!! (Beautiful in portuguese).

Some day i will have a tank like yours, but first i have to win the lotery. It's a very expensive hobby in Portugal.

My question: You don't have any algae eating creatures?

How do you control algae?

manklit

smiller
09/05/2003, 03:14 AM
Thank you. I have a variety of snails and urchins to help with algae control. I also use a refugium.

smiller
09/05/2003, 03:17 AM
Hello all! Thanks for of the nice comments!! I am leaving shortly for MACNA, so I will catch up on any questions Monday when I get home. :smokin:

minfinger
09/08/2003, 07:06 PM
Steve,

Beautiful tank...I'm always jealous. Maybe one day I'll get my cabnitry done on my bar tank and I'll have TOTM :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask you about your Longnosed Hawkfish. I've wanted one for sometiem, but I have been afriad to purchase one. The LFS tells me I shouldn't. I've got a 55 that's been up for a little over 1 yr and a 29 that's been up for 3.5 months. Both tanks have 1 wrasse each. The 55 has a mean Black Sailfin Blenny and a few other fish. The 29 has a Tomato Clown (Mean sucker) and a Algea Blenny. I think the 29 would be to small for him, but there might not be anywhere in the 55 for him to hide.

My 55G is see through, so there's no huge back wall of rock to hide in. It looks more like an open water reef than anything. Anyay, what do you think?

Mike

skylsdale
09/08/2003, 11:57 PM
Love your avatar BTW.

Thanks. The talent belongs to www.donrayart.com He's one of the very few marine artists that I actually like.

smiller
09/09/2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by minfinger

Anyway, I wanted to ask you about your Longnosed Hawkfish. I've wanted one for sometiem, but I have been afriad to purchase one. The LFS tells me I shouldn't. I've got a 55 that's been up for a little over 1 yr and a 29 that's been up for 3.5 months. Both tanks have 1 wrasse each. The 55 has a mean Black Sailfin Blenny and a few other fish. The 29 has a Tomato Clown (Mean sucker) and a Algea Blenny. I think the 29 would be to small for him, but there might not be anywhere in the 55 for him to hide.

My 55G is see through, so there's no huge back wall of rock to hide in. It looks more like an open water reef than anything. Anyay, what do you think?

Mike
I think that a 55 would be plenty large enough, but I have never kept blennies, so I don't know about that part of it. As long as there are some things for it to perch on I think it would be happy, sinch they do very little swimming. Mostly they just move from spot to spot. If it is a fish only tank with no rock or corals I would pass on it.

minfinger
09/09/2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks, they're both reefs. I may have to pass though, I've always been concerned about my Pudding Wife Wrasse. He usually goes after all my new fish. He didn't bother my Naso Tang though LOL I guess he's to big :) Thanks again and good luck

Microcosmos
09/22/2003, 02:53 PM
Bee-yootiful tank...maybe one day I'll try and start a reef but too many constraints right now...I'll bet that setup cost you about as much as a small car over the years? Worth it though. If I could afford it and had the space/expertise, I'd do it.

keetkeet
09/23/2003, 08:55 PM
Hi, its a gorgeous set up.

Did you encounter any problems with algae and diatoms etc.

How did you rectify them?

smiller
09/24/2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks!

I think everyone has problems in the beginning, or even at other points, with diatoms. I don't consider that a big deal unless it never slacks off. Then you have to look for a reason. I have had some bubble algae to deal with over the years which I have managed to keep in check with emerald crabs and siphoning what little I see during water changes. I have also gone a couple of rounds with turf algae. It still shows it's ugly face from time to time, but Mexican turbos and tuxedo urchins keep it in check. Reef tanks/Algae-(see fact of aquarium life).:)