PDA

View Full Version : Berghia's???

lglamb
09/02/2003, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Did the Berghia nursery ever get off the, err..., turf?

A stop at Harbor a few weeks ago seems to have
increased my aptasia population from 1 to 20-plus
and counting.

Lowell

hcs3
09/02/2003, 09:07 PM
ack.

try using peppermint shrimp, especially if you do not have any fish yet and are not feeding the tank. otherwise, you might be SOL.

lglamb
09/03/2003, 10:35 AM
Got a couple at Sailfin last night. Barely resisted the
come-hither eyes of the Copperband Butterflys.

Lowell

FishMel
09/23/2003, 11:02 PM
Oh I saw those! They were so cute...*sigh*

hcs3
09/23/2003, 11:08 PM
are you guys sure you are talking about the correct animal? i've never known SF to cary berghias, but i have seen them sell lettuce nudis.

if SF placed these nudis into their display aquariums i highly doubt they are berghia. berghia are small enough to dissappear in even 2g aquariums. adults barely reach 1/2", if that. any stores that sell berghias keep them in an aquarium void of any decoration - just water and the occassional transplanted aiptasia.

FishMel
09/24/2003, 11:52 AM
oh, I was talking about the butterflies!

David MC Lee
10/13/2003, 08:20 PM
Nope my started didn't make. Sorry. I've been using peppermint shrimps. I keep them in the back tanks and when a rock gets aptasia on it i move it to the back tank for a few days. I also don't feed the back tanks.

ostrow
10/21/2003, 10:39 PM
I now have berghia coming!!! I need to know Wednesday how many people want as I will be finalizing my order. Wednesday noon is my deadline to know. Price will be $17 per berghia tops and if enough reply then it will go lower.

Email me with quantity, and only if you would be available to pick up Friday (hoping they'll ship Thursday).

hcs3
10/21/2003, 10:46 PM
where are you getting them from?

ostrow
10/21/2003, 10:53 PM
Supplier I found in Cal. I am buying whatever they'll sell as I have one guy who I think is going to buy whatever individuals around don't want. So I'm negotiating with them on price depending on numbers. But since I've been active on all these berghia threads I thought I'd give folks a chance.

quibz
11/20/2003, 11:25 AM
I'd be interested in any berghias that go hungry.
I understand when all the apts are gone they'll starve.

Springfield, IL
Greg

Audrey
11/22/2003, 11:47 AM
Can you ship them if a Friday pickup is not possible? How many are needed per gallon of a heavily infested tank?

Thanks, Audrey

ostrow
11/22/2003, 12:51 PM
i'm out. contact rob at www.coralsandbar.com

hcs3
11/22/2003, 02:59 PM
audrey

if the tank is heavily infested i'd get a butterfly to start. allow them to decimate the population first. remove it later on if it starts going after corals. by this time you should have the infestation more under control and easily managable. i've used berghia's before. they are good at mop-up duty, but releasing them into a heavoly infested tank and waiting for them to do their thing will likely take years.

HTH

Audrey
11/23/2003, 12:13 PM
OK henry. I am just nervous about the coppeband liking my polyps better!!

I'll give one a try. Need to find one that is eating and in good health, though.......

Audrey

ostrow
11/23/2003, 12:16 PM
Good luck with that Audrey. To make things more confusing, I got 82 Berghias, sold 75, kept 7. All 7 apparently died in my tank. I see no aiptasia decline. But the CBBs can be fickle too.

FWIW I am thinking of trying berghias again as all who bought from me apparently are having some success.