PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer question

andro
08/31/2003, 08:32 PM
I have the ETSS Super Reef Devil up and running on my 75 gallon, it has been up for 1 1/2 weeks. I have only gotten one full cup of skimmate, most of the time, the bubbles only go half way up the mixing tower, what is the suggested way to have the stand pipe? I have tried all the way up, all the way down and in the middle, I have not noticed a difference yet. Is the skimmer still breaking in do you think?

-Ian

Reelfish
09/01/2003, 07:35 AM
Ian
I am sure you set the skimmer up as the directions suggest and you are kicked in. The final adjusting is very sensative and takes patiience. The product that comes out of the skimmer should be very dark and usually not the volume we expect. I adjust according to the waste cup; not the volume of water or bubbles in the neck of the skimmer. Remember to adjust about a quarter of a turn in a 24hr period.
Bob

seaham358
09/01/2003, 09:31 AM
I was told by Ed and the Guys at ETSS to start you want the water level to be at the very base of the stand pipe just so you can see it. So adjust till that is where the level is. Leave it like that for a 3 weeks or so then adjust from there. I have had my reef devil running on my FO for maybe a month now and it still is not pumping out a lot of crap mostly cloudy material I think it is still breaking in. The one on my 125 that has been running for a year collects a good amound of dark crap out of the water now, at the beginning when the LR was curing it was mostly cloudy and there was a lot of it maybe a cup a day or so. But as the tank matured the amount has dropped. I get about 1/2 of the collection cup a month of the dark stuff. You just set the tank up so you might not have a lot of stuff in the water yet. Give it time... Bob

andro
09/01/2003, 09:48 AM
Cool thanks. I will do that, it was at the lowest setting last night and the bubbles did not go up very far, but this morning, a little was going to the collection cup.

-Ian