PDA

View Full Version : Clarifcation / Questions

Cambo
08/30/2003, 10:33 PM
WOW, I am overwhelmed by the amount of information on this site. How does a newbie straighten it all out?? Can you recommend a FAQ for newbies directory or articles? This sight is great but I feel like the more I read the more confused I become. Is there a place to see specific critters and algae so as to better understand what is being discussed? I have read two beginner books but most deal with basic set up etc. I need to know about initial algae cycles, normal expectations etc. I think my tank is doing well. It is one month old and my rock is looking amazing I just hope it is all good. Are the following normal /good? I have bright green plant looking leaves growing out of a few rocks, small things that look like dandelion heads before they bloom, brown and green algae growing on the glass etc. There are also some green long strands growing on my powerhead cords.
I have some hermit crabs and a marroon striped clown who has been with me for 2 weeks. Any suggestions for the next fish. I was thinking of a six striped wrass. Should I look to purchase some other clean up crew members? If so suggestions. I do want to be patient and successful is two weeks or a month between fish preferred? What about soft corals should I wait for 4-6 months? Can you see that i have a million questions -- Finally, I HAVE READ the million tang responses and don't want to go there again but is it reasonable to ascertain that purple tangs are of the smaller version and COULD be kept in a 58 gallon tank?

Did my first water change today, 10% every 2 weeks right?

Thanks for reading this far and I would appreciate a response from a seasoned pro ;)

mswt5
08/30/2003, 11:32 PM
I do agree it can seem overwhelming around here with all of the different OPINIONS on the best way to run a tank.
I stress opinions because there are so many different ways to do things. As far as tangs go, do what YOU want to do with the hobby. Your feelings matter too. Read up on the specifics for different fish and make your own judgements. And again....thats just my opinion.

Has your tank fully cycled yet?...what are you parameters??
Tell us a little more about you setup.

May help answering some questions for you

naesco
08/31/2003, 10:15 AM
It is better to wait one month apart.
Patience is key to sucess in this hobby.
Wait until you move up to a larger tank before considering tangs.
On the fish side of the hobby always research before you buy. Ask questions here.
Choose fish that are plump, alert, and free of spots. A quality fish beats a cheap one by kilometers. And remember the basic rule in fishkeeping.

REEForm: Never buy a fish that comes from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.

BrianD
08/31/2003, 01:31 PM
Cambo, purple tangs, like all tangs are active swimmers, so the larger the amount of swimming room you can provide, the better. Personally, I wouldn't keep a purple tang in a 58 gallon tank. Undoubtedly there will be others that don't agree. I am more concerned with providing the optimum captive environment for my fish, not just that I get fish I "want".

Brian