PDA

View Full Version : all the lfs that are great to deal with

ofblong
08/29/2003, 09:00 PM
I can name a couple that I have been to. I know there are more but I have not been to these. Anyways I have 2 stores in mind that are great.

The Reef Shop is great for corals and clams.

I really dont have any shops that are great for fish but the best one, besides the fact they use copper to treat, would be

VI Pets for fish and inverts.

The Aquarist
08/29/2003, 09:30 PM
In PA, I drive about 45 minutes to That Fish Place in Lancaster. The place near me sells some dry goods for FOUR times the prices of That Fish Place.

TFP also has quite a few livestock tanks too. Their percentage of lower health quality fish is far lower than any other LFS I have gone to. In general, their fish and coral are really healthy and livestock and dry goods prices seem to beat everyone. I need to accumulate some cash before the next trip! That could take a while!

When I lived in NJ, I preferred 3 places ... Ocean Gallery and Pet Shanty, both on Rt. 22 in the North Plainfield area and Animals and Things in Woodbrige. I only went to those places for frozen foods and livestock. Pet Shanty was my favorite of the three. They seemed to have the most dependable health quality on their livestock.
I often made the trip from NJ to That Fish Place though. 2 1/2 hours plus gas expense and I still saved a bundle if I bought enough stuff!

NosArtur
08/29/2003, 11:04 PM
Marine Scene here in the DC area is very nice. A little high on prices but the staff is first rate, nice selection of corals and fish. Also they keep their new arrivals in QT for at least a week before they will sell them. You can place a hold on the fish but it is my understanding it does not leave the store until that week is up.

Dz99ls
09/01/2003, 08:30 PM
we have a 3hr trip to that fish place but i agree its better than waiting for ups!

BryanJ
09/04/2003, 11:23 PM
Here in Green Bay we have a couple decent LFS. Gooch's Corals also available on the internet has the best corals around for the best price I might add. For fish Aquatic Imports has the best selection in our area.

seaofdunes
09/05/2003, 01:56 AM
in northern jersey, we have Absolutely Fish, who just became the first petstore to pass the MAC (i think that was the organization) rules. They also won best store in North America after hundreds of stores were viewed.

technoshaman
09/05/2003, 10:58 PM
I am lucky to have two great LFS about 5 mins from my house:

www.austinaquariums.com Fairly new - open about 5 months. Great selection of tanks, fresh and saltwater fish. Coral selection is coming along nicely and they have about the best selection of food and supplements I've seen in town. They carry Fritz products also - a great but little known company for food, chemicals and salt.

Aquatek - Excellent product lines such as Euroreef, Tunze and Geiseman. Good selection of dry goods and a very very knowledgable staff and nice livestock. Couldn't find a web link - they are on Burnet road in north Austin if you are ever in the area.

MiddletonMark
09/09/2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by BryanJ
Here in Green Bay we have a couple decent LFS. Gooch's Corals also available on the internet has the best corals around for the best price I might add.

I'd say the best coral shop in Wisconsin, easily. A LOT more in person than online, just has his best/most healthy stuff online.

QT's all new corals for a few weeks at least before making them available [so he can guarantee] ... deals in no fish as he cannot be sure they are truly net-caught [or you can order from Seacrop or others yourself]. Has a lot of frags of stuff, willing to take some off his colonies right there for you.

Cannot say enough good about him, glad I live 3 hours away or I'd be totally broke.

Also gives a discount for all reef society members, in case his prices were already too reasonable :)

oceanarus
09/09/2003, 03:07 PM
For the Charleston SC area (and heck all of SC) is www.tidelineaquatics.com

surferdude141
09/09/2003, 09:53 PM
the best store in riverside is http://www.coralseatropicalfish.com/pages/1/index.htm
i love it