PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

skipm
08/27/2003, 07:05 PM
Hi All,
I thought some of you might be interested that I just posted some pics of the reactor that Troy and I built in the DIY forum in DJ88s reactor thread (that is where the original design came from). I also want to thank Troy again for downsizing the pics so they could be posted. Skip

Here is a link to the entire thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=144438

minfinger
08/27/2003, 08:36 PM
That's AWESOME! I'm so jealous!!!

Troy182
08/28/2003, 09:14 PM
let me know when we can crank it up.:D

1SQ
09/03/2003, 11:12 AM
Skipm

are you taking any orders *hint hint*

minfinger
09/03/2003, 06:58 PM
I'm first :P J/K

I know he'll be bring it to the next meeting, right? You should come and check it out.

skipm
09/03/2003, 07:31 PM
I don't think that it will be on my tank before the next meeting so I will definately bring it with me. It only needs a couple of small things and I just haven't got around to getting them yet. I need a gasket for the top, a needle valve, and a CO2 tank. A Ph meter is also on the list but I can get it up and running w/o that for the time being. I think I will go on E Bay right now to see what I can find ;D. Skip
BTW, it wouldn't be right to sell these since the original plans came from Darren (DJ88) without cost to anyone who wanted to use them, it would be an abuse of his trust to make these to sell them but I would not mind helping anyone build one for themselves. If I were to ever build them for sale it would be for the cost of materials only because of the unselfish generousity of Darren.

1SQ
09/04/2003, 01:52 PM
your right skipm *golf clap*

I can't wait for the next meeting
BTW: when is the next meeting (please don't pick the Sep. 20th;
I want to attend my first Charleston Reefers Club Meeting)

skipm
09/04/2003, 08:52 PM
Mike just e-mailed me and said he is working on the newletter now to announce the next meeting, it will be the 13th at Applebees at 1:00. I think the location is Sam Rittenburg? I know it is hwy 7. I look forward to seeing you then. Skip

minfinger
09/04/2003, 10:59 PM
1SQ, have you emailed me yet, I'll put you on the mailing list.

Here's a link to information about the meeting.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237517

Troy182
09/20/2003, 06:31 PM
:D Just kidding. But I thought I would give you a little nudge. I have thursday through sunday off if you want to get together and work onit or go to Columbia for some coral hunting.

Troy182
09/20/2003, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah I stopped by Beaufort Glass and Picked up some more acrylic. I got some really nice sized pieces... $5.00 total. I saw that they had some smoked pieces but I didn't think they were large enough to use as a base for my reactor so I left it there but I thought I would let you know in case you had some use for it.

1SQ
09/22/2003, 08:20 AM
I was starting to getting the items to build my version of this calcium reactor, then I notice I have a large divided acrylic CD storage case sitting on my desk. The problem is that it is 'BLACK'.

What do you guys think, should I use this box or build from scratch. Is there any reason why I couldn't use this box.

skipm
09/22/2003, 10:54 AM
The black case would work out fine but you would need to add a couple of veiwing windows so that you can see the amount of media left in the reactor. That is the only thing I can think of that would require any changes. Skip

1SQ
09/22/2003, 11:05 AM
yeah i thought of that, i really don't want to alter the box.
I would only need to do is drill the holes in the bottom and add the top flange (which will be a clear)

Troy182
09/22/2003, 07:34 PM
can you view top down through the clear top?

skipm
09/22/2003, 09:17 PM
That would work with the clear top but you wouldn't be able to judge when the reactor would need to be filled until it is almost completely out of media. That is the only drawback I see and that is not a real biggie. Worst case senario would be that you ran the reactor out of media for a few days before you notice that the media has been consumed. Keep us posted if you decide to build it. Skip

1SQ
09/23/2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks Skip
I'm going ahead with the idea. What the heck right.
I just got my clear tops here at work, found it in the trash bind.
I will keep you updated with the progress.

1SQ
09/23/2003, 03:02 PM
Skip what size pump are you using? I have a mag 7 laying around; I wonder if I could use this as my recirculation pump.

skipm
09/23/2003, 08:22 PM
I used a Mag 5 but if I were buying a pump it would probably be a Mag 3, the same as you I had the 5 laying around. Try the 7, the only problem that we may run into if the pumps are too large is them creating a media storm inside of the reactor and if that happens then we will have to downsize on the pump. BTW, it appears to me that the Mag 2-7 have the same dimensions just different flowrates so a reactor designed to fit any of these will accept a different size w/o having to make any modifications. Skip

1SQ
09/24/2003, 07:27 AM
hmmmm a Mag 3, I have a mag 3 on my Aqua c Protein skimmer.
I wonder if I could switch the pumps?

1SQ
09/24/2003, 08:48 AM
Skip
When you drilled the bottom of the reactor, what did you use to seal the fittings. I was thinking of using bulkhead fittings and cement the pvc to the bulkhead.

also, I was planning on changing the design of the reactor. I was planning on entering from the side and exiting from the side. The reason so I don't have to make any legs to elevate the reactor. What do you think

skipm
09/24/2003, 01:00 PM
I drilled and tapped the holes in my reactor so all I had to do is apply teflon tape to the joints and thread the fittings in. Bulkhead fittings would work the same way but if you don't have them already why not buy threaded bulkheads and use male adapters on the PVC, this way if it doesn't work out right you can still salvage the bulkheads.
I don't think you will run into any preoblems with running in/out of the reactor from the sides, I just didn't want to go that route with mine.
I water tested mine the other day and found a very minor water leak that I will fix either today or tomorrow and then test it again. Mine is fairly close to ready to install and crank that puppy up! I need a couple of fittings for the regulator so I can attach the needle valve, get the co2 tank, fill it, and make the bubble counter. All in all I would guess if I had the money for the tank and all right now I could have it up in about half a day.
Keep us posted on how it goes, Skip