PDA

View Full Version : batch adding kalkwasser good or bad?

wtrdragon
08/26/2003, 06:40 AM
I am going start adding the kalkwasser that I got from the club in batches. I was going to add 1 teaspoon per gallon about every day to every other day. Is that ok? Is there any problem with adding it in batches? I would be greatful for any help.

Bruce
08/26/2003, 09:07 AM
It is best to drip it in as your top-off water. To start I would recommend only driping during the night untill you are sure your system can handle the extra load. Then move to driping all day if needed.

Batch adding is not recommended. The pH of fresh kalk is 10-12 so you can really raise the ph of your system suddenly. The people that batch add (that I know) have huge volumes +200 gallons and very strong flow and really know their systems well.

Bruce

ThingsReef
08/26/2003, 02:15 PM
I use about 1 tablespoon in a gallon jug with an airline size hose cemented about 1" from the bottom (the sediment settles in just a few minutes and doesn't drip in) in a 90 gallon tank (I add a little less for dripping into my smaller tanks). I used to drip it in but now I just let it run steady through the small hose.

ciwsmk15
09/10/2003, 11:53 AM
I batch added Kalk to my 90 for over a year with no ill effects. Putting the new kalk into a high flow area is key. I kept a 15 gl tank filled with full strength Kalk and when the float switch in the sump called for make up water, the Kalk flowed. It took about a week and a half to use up the 15 gl volume. Granted by then the kalk was probably at 2/3 or 1/2 strength since it was exposed to the air. The tank always had a 2-3mm crust of calcium on top so that slowed reactivity with the air and kept the Kalk relatively strong. Adding to the sump allowed for a period of dillution before it is pumped to the main tank.

I was chastised by many for this practice, but never saw any ill effects at all, and always had very good coralline growth.

I did it this way because I am not about mixing kalk every 4 days to fill some drip unit. I would mix 35 gl at a time in a sealed tank and that would last me roughly a month. No lines to clog and less work for me.

I now use a Ca reactor on my 125, mostly cause I want to spend more time looking at my tank than working on it.