PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about taking it from the Gulf?

Mpiechowiak
08/22/2003, 09:40 AM
Just to throw a question of ethics out there-- How do you feel, as reefkeepers, about taking things from the Gulf? First off- Nothing illegal. I won't even go there (a whole different subject). But what about live sand? Clean up crew? Cucumbers? What about other livestock?

I just wanted to see how people felt about this? Is it a danger to the rest of my inhabitants? Let me know what you think.

Flanders
08/22/2003, 09:56 AM
IMO, anyone who has a problem with that shouldn't be keeping a reef aquarium. Why is it any different to collect in the gulf than overseas? I don't understand.

greenman
08/24/2003, 05:23 PM
Ahh would have no problem with it at all....

The way i see it is the wild reefs are going to be destoryed no matter what our hobby does so for you guys out there that know what your doing and keep your stuff alive for years and years well then you just may save somthing befor its all gone

thedogofwar
08/25/2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Ahh would have no problem with it at all....

The way i see it is the wild reefs are going to be destoryed no matter what our hobby does so for you guys out there that know what your doing and keep your stuff alive for years and years well then you just may save somthing befor its all gone

I agree completely. Looking into a little reef saving myself. ;)

Mpiechowiak
08/25/2003, 01:43 PM
What about pulling it illegally? Just because it is illegal, doesn't mean that won't save the species? Should I pull it, hope that I don't get caught and save the species myself?

thedogofwar
08/25/2003, 02:32 PM
This is by no means a recommendation, but personally, when I feel like a responsible reef keeper and I am certain that I can help the species to thrive, I'll take it.

I've put some thought into what I feel is morally right and have come to the conclusion that I feel I am entitled to whatever mother nature offers but in the same respect, I won't contribute to the extinction of her of her inhabitants.

Therefore, I have decided on a plan similair to that of the lumber industry. they take a tree, and replace it with one. Well I'll take a coral, return a frag.

just my .02

Bullredchaser
08/26/2003, 12:43 PM
In the state of florida your allowed to keep 1 gallon of octocorals and most fish are allowed to be kept.Some do have size limits.I have friends that get there coral banded shrimp in N Biscayne Bay and there blue hermit crabs around some of the islands in the bay down here.Just make sure you have you fishing license in Florida.Hopes this helps.

greenman
08/26/2003, 04:49 PM
I never said take illegal stuff... Like everyone is saying ppl that live down there can take stuff and not break the law! And for that matter one or two things that are illegal I might take anyway if i lived down there.

The fact of the matter is man kind has been killing of Life on this planet for a long time. No matter if it was direct or indirect and we arnt going to stop. Not even our hobby all coming to a stop right now would change the end outcome. Maybe I'm a bit negitive but im going on what i see now and what we have done in the past.

You see the bigger piture has and alwasy will overide the protection of life on this planet. Money talks! And untill the destuction of habitat and live becomes a threat to our own way of life then nothing will change!

Mpiechowiak
08/26/2003, 05:22 PM
So should I take it (let's say it is xyz coral) knowing that in the future the xyz coral population will become extinct. At least this way I can enjoy it in my tank before the destruction of mankind wipes it from the earth, right? No one can enjoy it if it just dies in the bottom of the ocean, so why not bring it to the surface and enjoy the xyz coral while it lasts?

(Just feeding the frenzy)

SPC
08/26/2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mpiechowiak
So should I take it (let's say it is xyz coral) knowing that in the future the xyz coral population will become extinct.

How would you know this?

How do you feel, as reefkeepers, about taking things from the Gulf?

I feel fine with this, the Gulf/Keys are the most studied area in the world, I believe the quotas that are set for these animals to be correct.
Steve

Bullredchaser
08/27/2003, 10:11 AM
Why are you so sure that these corals will become extinct.Some of them have been around for millions of years and have survived ice ages and global warming repeatedly.I say stay within the laws because they are there to bring back certain populations.Just like the Paul Prudhome blackened Redfish craze of the 80's almost wiping out the redfish population.Current laws have brought them back stronger then they have been in a long time.Some old salts say better then they can ever remember.I think it is somewhat unethical to see a species that may be introuble and contribute to the problem by saying its gonna be extinct anyways let me get all I can before its too late.Management is the way to bring back alot of reefs that have been hurting.

shaw
08/27/2003, 01:39 PM
Keep everything there, i think are hobby is big enough for everybody. stop taking from the ocean, increase awareness of the disasters humans do to the ocean
thanks
shawn

Kevk
08/30/2003, 09:56 PM
I have no problem with the legal taking of aquarium specimins from the gulf. In some ways it should be expanded. The banning of coral removal from US waters, combined with the worldwide demand for coral skeletons, and non-aquacultured live corals moved collectors into the third world.
As a result, corals are being harvested worldwide with no oversight. It would be nice if people would think things through when they pass these laws. They pass a clean air act, put MTBE in the gas and now we all have to drink bottled water because the stuff is a carcinogen and is now in over 90% od the US water.
I'm no ELF nazi, but the sale of coral skeletons should be banned, the plastic ones look just as nice.
If you want to save the natural reefs, buy tank raised corals, better yet trade your tank raised for others.
The reefs have been around for a very long time. They survived ice ages and times much warmer than this. We may kill ourselves, trying to save ourselves, but the reefs, sharks and cockroaches will be just fine.

greenman
08/30/2003, 10:12 PM
Well i say take it all befor more crap like this happens!

UNREAL!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/south_county_f364dd8234bf31080031.html

Kevk
08/31/2003, 09:14 AM
They need to build a third reef that is off limits

radecatur
08/31/2003, 10:07 AM
thedogofwar: I really like your 1 for 1 idea. but how about taking it a step further. Kinda like the old boy scout rule. Leave it better than when you found it. Take 1, leave 2 or more.

I would have been doing this along time ago if i lived around temperate waters. But alas, in CA, its a bit too cold. :(

Keep it up dog!

-Rich

DgenR8
09/01/2003, 11:38 AM
I would never tell anyone that breaking the law is a good idea. On the other hand, while snorkeling in Puerto Rico last march I found a piece of live rock, about75 pounds, with 2 gold carpet Anemones, snails, shrimp, etc. on it. If I could have found a way to get it home with me, there's no doubt I would have. I know that's not the most ethical attitude. When it comes to Cukes, snails, shrimp, and other things found in abundance in the Gulf, is it really any different than fishing? Get a fishing license, and find out what that entitles you to LEGALLY. Might be more than you expect.