PDA

View Full Version : Can you over do it with additives???

Sallylightfoot
08/20/2003, 10:06 PM
Hi, Would to many additives cause shrooms to not open fully???

Zepplin
08/21/2003, 04:48 AM
What kind of additives and how much?

-Meg

Sallylightfoot
08/21/2003, 10:50 AM
Things like Seachem iodide, reef plus, reef builder, reef advantage, reef complete, reef calcium, Weiss coral vital. Things like this. Following the manufacturers directions of course.

MiddletonMark
08/21/2003, 10:57 AM
Do you do regular water changes?

If so, I think the general recommendation is that you don't need any of these ... only to suppliment Calcium and Alkalinity - both of which you should test for. With mushrooms these probably aren't that important as with other corals ... but I'd say for the other things don't add it unless you test for it or see a need for it.

When reading Tank of the Month folks tanks and those I consider `wise' ... it seems one rarely sees anything more than Calcium and Alkalinity added. If they do add, it's Iodine or Strontium which they test for and add very little of; rarely Magnesium to help keep Calcium levels up ... once again always tested for.

IMO, most of these things are algae food more than coral-necessities provided you do regular water changes [5-10% twice a month].

I'll let others chime in, maybe you want to search on one of these additives. And to repeat one of the most common reef-phrases I hear `don't add anything you don't test for'.

Sallylightfoot
08/21/2003, 11:04 AM
I do 3 gal a week on my 37. I guess I need to get over the more is better thing. Also, can you please tell me if 1.026 or 1.027 is too high a salinity for ricordia and shrooms??? I see in books it recommends 1.025. Maybe mine is too high and they may prefer 1.025. What do you all think???

MiddletonMark
08/21/2003, 11:46 AM
I think you're fine, but I don't know everything.

Seems 1.025 - 1.026 is a great salinity from what I understand. 1.027 shouldn't be a big deal, but I only have limited amounts of mushrooms.

What do you use to measure it? I found the swing-arm hydrometers to always run lower than reality on me; when I got my refractometer I found that my 1.022 tank was really 1.025 ... which was cool but made me happy my salinity was kept low by my measuring tool.

Sallylightfoot
08/21/2003, 11:50 AM
I use a swing arm. So I am wondering if my salinity is really high then? And if so would that make everything not expand? Hum.
Thanks for all the answers, keep em coming.

MiddletonMark
08/21/2003, 11:53 AM
I dunno. Some people have those work great, some don't. Either way don't swing your salinity too far too fast.

Maybe a refractometer is a good idea. Premium Aquatics had theirs on sale on Ebay recently ... I got mine from National Industrial Supply who also Ebays them for about $40. Saw one online at `diy___something' that was like $43 today. Just make sure it's ATC [auto-temp conpensating] and I bet you'll like it.

Anyway, back to work ....

Sallylightfoot
08/21/2003, 12:44 PM
AAAAhhhhhhhhh, now I am really confused. I saw more than one that says ATC. How do I know which is best or right??? Any ideas. Oh, I think one was from National ind supply. Is that one good???

MiddletonMark
08/21/2003, 12:48 PM
I have it, like it.

I also trust what I get from Premium Aquatics in Indiana, they've been really cool from my experience.

Sallylightfoot
08/21/2003, 12:49 PM
Yes, I just found them on ebay. I am checking into them. I have pirchased from them before and have had good experience with them. Thanks for all your help.

MiddletonMark
08/21/2003, 12:55 PM
No problem. You could just find someone local [reef club around there?] and compare your swing-arm to someone's refractometer or other device. Then you can mentally calibrate yours or find out that it really is correct.

They're about the same in ease of use IMO, so my refractometer I consider a great investment. Just make sure you have a bright light nearby to read it with.