PDA

View Full Version : Best South East Regional LFS

kng
08/20/2003, 08:31 PM
Now that Captive Bred Corals in Chattanooga is no more, what is the best South East Regional Fish Store. Let's say within a 6 hour one way drive from North Alabama.

The best I can come up with is Premium Aquatics (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/) in Indianapolis. They have uncured Fiji Live Rock for $2.99 per pound when you buy at least 40 pounds, and 40 pounds of Aragonite sand for $14.95 when you buy 5 bags.

Might as well stop by Inland Aquatics (http://www.inlandaquatics.com/) while I'm up that way. :)

A few of us were considering a road trip especially since Brian (lilbubba) is getting real close to needing some live rock and sand. Of course it would be cool to check out other places corals too!

Thanks for the help,
Kyle

Tomoko Schum
08/20/2003, 11:33 PM
As far as nice shops in the South East are concerned, Atlanta Reef Club people told me a good thing about Aquarium Showcase in Alpharetta, GA. I don't know about their prices, though. You might want to ask various aquarium societies and clubs about their local favorites. (http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php?c=1)

Tomoko

Leviathan
08/21/2003, 04:42 PM
I know a lot of local reefers in Central Al. keep talking about one in Montgomery called Aquarium Fantasies.

I have yet to go down there, but have heard from some that have, that they have a really nice collection of SPS.

Heres a link to their site, but the picture gallery has not been updated in a long time.

http://www.aquariumfantasies.com/NewAquariumFan/Aquarium_Fantx.html

kng
08/21/2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks! How are their prices of live goods and dry goods?

-Kyle

Leviathan
08/21/2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by kng
Thanks! How are their prices of live goods and dry goods?

-Kyle

If you are asking in reference to Aquarium Fantasies, since I have never been there I am not really sure. I do know that they have recently expanded both their store size and stock.

Mariner
08/21/2003, 10:11 PM
I bought my 75 AGA at Aquarium Fantasies in the Spring. Prices were about average (although I got a sweet deal on my tank -- $125). They had a really nice variety of corals. I don't know that they'd be the nicest LFS in the Southeast, but they are worth a visit. I was very impressed with the knowledge of the staff -- of course I knew next to nothing about reefs at the time of my visit.
FWIW,
Mariner

JPerkins
08/21/2003, 10:28 PM
I really like Aquarium Fantasies in Montgomery, AL. The owner is very nice and they carry items you normally don't see in LFS, like icecap, uri, etc.

His prices are pretty good for an LFS and his stock of corals and fish are the best in my area until I go as far as places like Tampa.

Two thumbs up here.

Westpat
08/22/2003, 10:58 PM
My second visit there which was recent was horrible. In their defense it was NOT the owner who was there. The guy was helping a lady put together a setup fo her son, and he never gave me any service, I asked him the price on a purple firefish and he said "Let me check", I then hear him on the phone haggling over Barbeque chicken plates, and when he hangs up he walks out the door with the lady and her new tank. I guess I could have robbed them blind, but I just left in disgust.
They seem to be in a state of flux, I guess from expanding. Aiptasia everywhere, and the specimen quality was hit or miss.
They did have the most varied selection I have seen on both fish and corals, but the prices weren't that great from what I could tell.
Once again, I was NOT there when the owner was, I believe his name is Jim, so you may want to call before you go. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

David

Westpat
08/22/2003, 11:04 PM
Here is my "good" plug for my favorite LFS. Aqua Works in Pensacola, FL. David(extrovert) and Tim(introvert) are very knowledgeable, and make a good team. They always have healthy frags and large corals. Pretty much run the course of what you would want. You can't beat the prices, and David will do everything he can to make you happy. Best prices on salt in the South. They have live rock and sand, as well as a good supply of sifters. Nothing fancy, just solid. Also if you are down that way go to Reefers, they are 10 minutes apart. There you can see what life with an unlimited reef budget will get you.

David Part II

dragon_slayer
08/22/2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Westpat
Here is my "good" plug for my favorite LFS. Aqua Works in Pensacola, FL. David(extrovert) and Tim(introvert) are very knowledgeable, and make a good team. They always have healthy frags and large corals. Pretty much run the course of what you would want. You can't beat the prices, and David will do everything he can to make you happy. Best prices on salt in the South. They have live rock and sand, as well as a good supply of sifters. Nothing fancy, just solid. Also if you are down that way go to Reefers, they are 10 minutes apart. There you can see what life with an unlimited reef budget will get you.

David Part II

went down to Aqua Wroks the other day after work (i work in Crestview, FL) and i have to agree, they are very friendly and helpful people. the place was a little small, and between orders (they said) but had a nice selection of corals and the attitudes were well respectful. (they were amazed that i can keep my Achllies tang alive for so long :) )

as for aquarium fanticies they have a great selection of corals. Jim Weinstock is the owners name and he is very good at giving what id call respectable advice to "wana-be byers". granted the aptasia are worst case i have ever seen but some of the corals he has are second to none. i dont like the way the hired help has to ask him about everyting, and they always have to look up the price of anything as whats on the glass is usualy old stuff that is long gone or moved. but this worked to my advantage.....i got one of the most beautiful wellsophyllia brains i have ever seen because it had "SOLD" wrote on the glass and i was the only one brave enough to ask "is it really sold?" and it wasnt........now it is!!!!

i give them credit as they had only one xenia in the entire store and IMO it was on its last leg. someone was interested in buying it and they refused to sell it because they thought the same as me. and they keep fish for 2 weeks befor they sell them to make sure they are healthy. even if you "special order" a fish, he keeps it the 2 weeks at his own expence if it dies to make sure you get a quality fish.

not to mention Jim gave me a HELL-OF-A deal on my 180 AGA RR..... :)

kc

rscotth
08/23/2003, 02:21 PM
I have been to both Reefer's and Aqua Works. Both are very good stores, but Aqua Works usually has more livestock and $50 for a bucket of IO. They are the best stores in my area (Mobile, Al) even though they are an hour away.

hesstondc
09/04/2003, 07:38 PM
Yall really need to come on over to Atlanta for all of your fish and coral needs. I had my first saltwater tank when I was in school at Auburn. I graduated and got a job up here, and now I go to a different store everyweek. If you want awsome coral selection Marine Fish in Marietta Ga has the most I have seen in one store. All prop tanks have hanging halides, they are top notch. Then for an all out aquarium store you should go to Fish Store and More in Buckhead Atlanta. They have a saltwater pond, a huge reeftank and 300-400 gallon tank with fish the size of basket balls, and the prices are not really all that bad. For those of you in Southeast Alabama I know of a guy that sells frags in Columbus. He has all kinds of different stuff....As a fellow Dothan Alabama native, I know how hard it is to get Salt Water Stuff. If anyone in the dothan area ever wants anything from up here please let me know. I go home to the parents often.......Also email me if you want to go to other fish stores in atlanta...I have been to them all!

Later
Hesstondc

Delljam@charter.net

kng
09/04/2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to put Atlanta on my list of places to check out.

-Kyle

JPerkins
09/04/2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks a lot for the nice info hesstondc!

I live in daleville which is just outside Dothan.

The 4 hour drive to Atlanta is a better deal than the 6 hour drive to tampa but I wasn't sure about the quality of the LFS there.

Going to have to check it out next time I have to go to Columbus on business. I went to one fish store in Columbus called feathers and fins and it was a fish torture chamber, really pathetic.

The only store in dothan with salt is Bills pets and its quite the joke. Better and healthier selection of fish at the sushi bar. :)

hesstondc
09/05/2003, 07:07 AM
Sushi Bar?
JPerkins

The only Sushi Bar I know of in Dothan is pretty bad...HA!

Check out www.thereeftank.com go to the Atlanta Reef Club Forum and then find a guy by the name of Cyberchef...He has some frags for sale today as a matter of fact. At least get a look at what he does. Daleville? I have been to Fort Rucker many many times....4th of July fireworks, the Lemon Lot on base (always a good deal there) etc. I will be heading that way in October because I always go to the JC's Haunted House in Enterprise (I have been going there for years). I will also be there November for the Peanut Festival. If you want to trade some frags out we can do that...I have lots of xenia and maybe even a polyp, or torch frag....Just let me know.

Bills is a joke though...There are a few good stores in Panama City, (Cheaper live rock than I have seen up here) check those out also....

Later guys

WAR EAGLE!

alabrew
09/07/2003, 06:27 PM
Not too fancy but getting a better selection is Valley Tropical Fish in Oxford (behind the mall near a swimming pool shop). They are expanding their saltwater selection and have been thinking of a branch store in Birmingham.

larrylwill
09/08/2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by rscotth
I have been to both Reefer's and Aqua Works. Both are very good stores, but Aqua Works usually has more livestock and $50 for a bucket of IO. They are the best stores in my area (Mobile, Al) even though they are an hour away.

I just got back from AquaWorks Saturday and agree that Jim is the best. I also stopped by Reefers and bought a few items, same good service. What is " $50 for a bucket of IO" Is that $50 for IO water or did you mean 10? 10 what?

Larry
Brantley, Al.

JPerkins
09/08/2003, 06:44 AM
Hey Larry, whats up?

I think he meant 50 dollarinis for a bucket of Instant Ocean Salt.

larrylwill
09/08/2003, 01:40 PM
Hi James:
Did you get my PM? My email is llwill@despammed.com

They have Instant Ocean 50gals for $12 a bag.

Email me with your email address and Ill send you some pictures, I got stuff to trade. Recordia, zoos, shrooms, leather.
Do you? Im going back to aquaworld when they get some more recordia
in.

dragon_slayer
09/09/2003, 03:13 PM
What you looking for in a trade larrylwill???

kc

larrylwill
09/09/2003, 08:19 PM
My house air conditioner went out a couple months ago and I lost almost everything, it was 2 weeks getting it replaced and the temp was in the high 90's. SO I'm rebuilding. My brown/green shrooms made it as well as yellow polyps and a colonies of orange zoos. I have to go about 3-1/2 hours to the nearest place I trust, Aqua-Works to buy any frags. I had the same experience in Montgomery as Westpat did.
I have some new fish and shrimp coming in tomorrow from saltwaterfish. I am starting back with softies first. I just bought a few loose shrooms, loose polyps, xenia, etc. at Aqua-works last week. I like to see them grow.
To answer your question, I would like to get some different color zoos, some ricordia and shrooms, a yellow leather, something with color. Just about anything soft. I realize I don't have a good selection to trade with so I don't expect much. I really would like a orange ricordia polyp and I recently saw a blood red one, but the price was about as rare.

Larry

JPerkins
09/09/2003, 08:50 PM
Hey larry, finding your house is somewhat of a challenge.

You are welcome to come over anytime and pick what you want. Some items I may be able to frag for you are some palythoa (pretty green centers), some fairly plain but very hardy zoos (ochre yellow), kenya tree with nice polyps and I maybe I could cut this huge mushroom without killing it. I got xenia easily, chaetomorpha algae, gracillaria algae, amphipods, copepods, some sand for diversity, etc.

Let me know. KC has already been over but that was really before I stocked the tank well, he has some of the zoos which he gave me a beatiful light blue florida ricordia that I hope gets bigger and mulitplies.

I also have some rubble if you need it.

KC wants me to come over to his house to check out his new 180? I think. I need to do that soon.

We need to start a reef club probably, something like Southeast Alabama Reefers (Sar's heh)

larrylwill
09/09/2003, 09:03 PM
James: A reef club would be a good Idea. How about Reefer madness? Your probley too young to appreciate that one.
I would be very greatful for some starts. I just split some ricordia polyps and glued up some zoos with green/blue spotted centers. I can bring you a green/brown shroom rock. Is there anything else you want? You can see what I have in the trading section.
I dont have your email address or phone number anymore. You'll have to tell me when is a good time to come over. I can do it anyday. Ill send you another PM over the board with my email and tel number.
thanks

Westpat
09/10/2003, 08:04 PM
Hey guys, I have inlaws near opp, so next time I am dow there I would like to look some of you up. Also my parents live near Brewton in the FL panhandle. I would love to trade sometime,

David

JPerkins
09/10/2003, 08:58 PM
I was just thinking tonight, there probably aren't a bunch of reefers in this part of Peanutville.

Westpat: Sounds good to me. Just pm me. Good luck finding Larry's house. He lives in the country, nice house and secluded, but tough to find.

larrylwill
09/11/2003, 12:30 AM
Westpat:
Only tough to find for some people whose name begins with JP.
take 189 from Elba toward Brantley, Turn right on Old 3 notch about 12 miles, Turn left on Powell rd about 2-1/2 miles next to chicken houses. Turn right on first driveway on right about 1/4 mile from the turn and chicken houses.
Although James isnt married and has about 4 times what I have to look at. Your welcome, I work at home.

yoda
09/12/2003, 03:00 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but "The Bermuda Triangle" in Chattanooga was a nice little store. His liverock was expensive, but looked really nice. He had a couple of display tanks with nothing but assorted frags. The fish selection was good too. As far as equipment goes, prices were typical of a LFS, but he was offering a couple of higher performance skimmers and things you won't find at Petco, if you know what I mean.

I'll make a point to go back next time I'm up there.
Jason

kng
09/27/2003, 07:57 PM
Got two more to add to the list (made it out to both yesterday):

Fish Tails in Rainbow City, AL

Awsome! Had a bunch of corals and frags, with great prices. Was expanding too. Deifinately worth checking out! Here's one of his display tanks (VHO only). He appologized for it because he thought it was empty (he just sold $1000 dollars worth of corals out of it.)

kng
09/27/2003, 07:58 PM
Here's another one at Fish Tails...cool frag tank with prices posted on poker chips!

kng
09/27/2003, 08:03 PM
The other place we went is Lang's Tropical Fish in Glencoe, AL. He had a good selection of corals, but not many frags.

He had a great selection of used tanks from 29 gallon up to 290. There were some GREAT deals on some of that stuff. (105 gallon RR with stand sump skimmer for $500)

He sells a bunch of PC and VHO retro on eBay too, so he had some good deals on that. (I was able to get some waterproof VHO endcaps pretty cheap.)

He also had a 600 gallon freshwater tank with a huge peacock bass and red catfish in it. Meant to take a picture, but forgot.

(I don't know Harry...600 gallons is pretty big!) :) :) :) :)

greenbean36191
09/27/2003, 08:22 PM
How far is Rainbow City from Huntsville?

Tomoko Schum
09/27/2003, 08:23 PM
Wow! I've got to go and check it out!! Did you see any pretty zoos in Fish tail store?

Tomoko

kng
09/27/2003, 08:27 PM
Tomoko,

Yes! He just got back from MACNA (is that the acronym) and had some cool colors. He didn't have any PPE or anything like that...but he did have some PINKS! (He wasn't selling these yet, as he was trying to grow them out.)

-Kyle

kng
09/27/2003, 08:28 PM
greenbean36191,

He is about 1.5 to 2 hours from Huntsville. (It is in the Anniston and Gasden general area.)

-Kyle

Tomoko Schum
09/27/2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks, kyle! I need to get some nice zoos and a few other pretty coral frags. I am planning on starting my 29G as you know. I have found a neat thread on nano-reef.com about retrofitting an inexpensive halogen security light fixture into a 70W MH DE fixture. I just need to locate a ballast for it. A number of people got aromat electronic ballast for 70W MH cheaply over the summer off ebay. However, now the seller got wise on us and he is pushing the price up to almost 50 dollars instead of the initial 15 bucks offer : (

Tomoko

Westpat
09/27/2003, 11:58 PM
KNG you rock!

Those 2 places are less than an hour from my house, I hear a road trip coming! Tomoko, how are your PPE's coming? I have some nice pinks that I would love to trade for one!

David

Tomoko Schum
09/28/2003, 11:09 AM
Hi David,

I would love to trade, but unfortunately PPE disappeared. There was only two heads to start with and something bothered them. I am very very dissappointed about this. I heard some other people had a similar experience with their PPE plugs. They were doing fine until I moved them to a brighter location. I suspect that my pink bubble coral may have something to do with it. They were a good distance away from each other, but the bubble was growing really fast. The resident troll adapted my bubble coral since then, and other inhabitants look happier. All other zoos are growing really well. I have found a rock of bright florescent green zoos recently and I am very pleased with them. I am looking for some other bright colored ones.

Tomoko

larrylwill
09/28/2003, 05:25 PM
Thats great, I have been looking for property in the Gadsden area. If you know of any Mtn property let me know.

hesstondc
09/28/2003, 06:24 PM
Tomoko

Try Farms @ Thesea.org. Cheap shipping and he has some really awsome zoos. If you order 200$ then it is free shipping! Check them out.

KNG

I am intersted in the 110 gallon. Is it still available?

kng
09/28/2003, 07:21 PM
hesstondc,

The 105 Gallon was there Friday. Give him a call Monday and see. (492-1785) I think the owner's name is Brent...he is who you want to talk to.

-Kyle

Mariner
09/28/2003, 10:23 PM
I did a lot of business at Lang's when I lived in Gadsden in the 1980's and early 90's. That was my first effort at a marine aquarium -- back then undergravel filters were cutting edge technology :rolleyes: Brent's dad ran the place then. He was really a quality person, and I expect Brent is as well.

Mariner

p.s. Kyle -- AWESOME avatar! Roll Tide!

Joeldb
09/28/2003, 10:59 PM
If you are ever in the Atlanta area visiting Marine Fish, The Fish Store and More, or Aquarium Showcase there is a store about 10 minutes from Marine Fish named Cappuciano Bay that definately deserves a look. It is a fish store that is adding a coffee shop as part of the store, under construction, but still a nice store.:cool:

hesstondc
09/29/2003, 07:47 AM
Joel

What are you doing on this thread? LOL! I have informed these guys about all of our awsome fish stores here in the ATL. After all I am a South Alabama native and I need to help out my fellow reefers over there. Salt Water fish stores are few and far between in Alabama.

Later
Clay

greenbean36191
09/29/2003, 08:26 AM
p.s. Kyle -- AWESOME avatar! Roll Tide!

Hey guys did I tell you that I just got accepted to AUBURN!!:rollface: Aren't you two proud of me.:mixed: haha

hesstondc
09/29/2003, 08:57 AM
WAR EAGLE GREENBEAN!

I graduated from Auburn in 2001 and I was at the game on Saturday. Football season is the best time in that town......

Congrats
Clay

I can get you a good job on campus if you are intersted.....Let me know

Tomoko Schum
09/29/2003, 09:08 AM
Congratulation, Greenbean!

Tomoko

Joeldb
09/29/2003, 09:11 AM
I'm a NW FL native (Pensacola) so I guess I kinda grew up in AL too. And my dad lives in Samson, AL

Westpat
09/29/2003, 06:40 PM
Hello to Joel,
The proud adoptive daddy of my yellow tang. I hope he posts pics of his 135 which is quickly becoming quite an amazing system.
I hope he will visit us on AL Reefers, and share his knowledge and ideas!

David

Joeldb
09/29/2003, 11:32 PM
Here ya go david,
This is only the middle of the tank but it has your baby in it.

larrylwill
09/30/2003, 01:11 AM
kng:
Do you have a phone number for Fish Tails? Im going about 60 miles north of Birmingham next weekend and will stop by there if I can find it.

lilbubba
09/30/2003, 10:52 PM
larrylwill,

Here is the number 256 413-7938 he is closed on mondays but open till 8:00 tuesday thru sunday.

lilbubba

greenbean36191
10/01/2003, 02:23 PM
Hey hesstondc, thanks for the offer. I'm sure I will need a job when I get down there, especially if I don't get any scholarships. What kind of work would I be doing? Feel free to PM me if you need to.