PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!!! Tank crashing FAST!!!

mobilemarine
05/12/2001, 05:33 PM
Please someone help me, My 180 FO tank is crashing fast with some nasy virus!! I already lost an Emperor Angel, and a large clown trigger, now my Semi lavartus is knocking on deaths door, and my naso tank is right behind him. I am familiar with toxic tank syndrome, but I don't believe this is it. First off about the tank. It's been running successfully for about a year. Wet dry filter system with Aqua 15 watt UV and emperor aquatics skimmer, andgrounding probe. Tank has approx 50 lbs of live rock and a dozen decorator corals. Disease hits fast, starts with a mild clouding of eyes then next day, slime coat and what looks like their skin starts peeling off, then within a couple of hours, DEAD!!! Nitrates are sitting around 30 which is high, but shouldn't be deadly like this, plus fish have all acclimated to this anyway. No nitrites or ammonia, Ph is sitting around 8.2. Water temp. is 79 degrees, no filters are clogged or anything. I did upon seeing the cloudy eyes dose some melafix into the tank, but I have used it before in treatment tanks and its worked well. So not quite sure if that's the problem. Any ideas because all I have left is my golden puffer and a small damsel which don't appear infected, at least not yet.

horge
05/12/2001, 07:27 PM
First, evacuate.

Provide some properly-aerated, but new saltwater. That, a very clean bucket, an airstone and some clean-smelling LR will give you an emergency shelter for the fish.

Whatever is affecting them is likely in the water. Indeed, it all seems more more a case of sheer toxicity than infectious disease, except the damsel; and puffer are still around (though they are among the more tolerant of bad water among marine ornamentals).

Diagnosing the disease can wait, but so long as the fresh batch of saltwater is proper, there should be no argument that isolating the fish helps.

Even if it is an infectious disease and fish already have it, treatment is made easier via isolation.

good luck,
horge

[Edited by horge on 05-12-2001 at 08:43 PM]

mobilemarine
05/12/2001, 10:51 PM
Thanks Horge, I'm one step ahead of you, already have them seperated in other holding tanks, Looks like I'm gonna have to drain that bad boy and start all over. If anyone else has ever seen anything like this or have any other suggestions, please post. Thank you all for your help.

Briarhill
05/12/2001, 11:46 PM
I agree with horge. Sounds more like a toxcidity problem.
If you are going to start over I'd suggest a DSB in the tank.
I'm just amazed at what it will do to the water and critters.
Sorry I have been no help for your current problem.

Bruce

billsreef
05/13/2001, 12:27 AM
The cloudy eyes, slime coat and peeling skin sounds more like particularily virulent strain of an amyloodinium like infection. Toxicity usually does not bring on cloudy eyes and slime coat IME. Have you added any new critters or made any changes to the tank?

In any case isolating the fish from the problem tank is a good first step. Treatment of such symptoms is usually best with either copper treatment or formalin dips.

horge
05/13/2001, 09:45 AM
I too considered it might be an Amyloodinium infestation, but the sloughing-off of mucus AND skin seems a bit severe for it. Just the same, we'd all love to hear a more detailed description of the symptoms and their progression over time :)

(Parasites like Amyloodinium aside, external bacterial infections often tend to show up on the gills and fins first, and there was no mention of fraying or lesions there.)

It's possibly a complex of maladies striking down the fish.

PS: Someone owes me pics :p

mobilemarine
05/13/2001, 04:58 PM
Thanks again guys, you asked for a more detailed description, so here it is. First noticed semi lavartus swimming into current, I thought possible gill flukes, then treated with formalin bath, other fish showed no symptoms. The very next day he shows cloudy eyes, other fish again, no symptoms, next day bloody splotches on fins, and other fish (trigger and Naso) both show cloudy eyes and mucous membrane flaking off, then twelve hours later, trigger laying on bottom, semi still swimming but looking like hell, and naso doing the same. I then isolated all three into a seperate tank with clean water taken from my reef tank. Within five hours trigger and semi dead and within ten hours naso dead. The golden puffer is now isolated in a seperate tank and his health is questionable I think he is still a little stressed about the move. I left the damsel in the tank and it shows no signs of anything being wrong with it, and is still eating like a horse. It's comical to watch him now because he used to be surrounded by monster size fish, now it's his tiny self in a huge 180.
The only thing added to tank was malafix when I first noticed cloudy eyes on the semi. I was able to dose for two days before the "incident" If any one has any more info, it would be appreciated. Thanks again

mobilemarine
05/14/2001, 06:35 PM
Well guys The golden puffer past away this morning, same symptoms with the exception of the cloudy eyes, real mucous covering and his golden belly turned pink. I have no idea what was the cause and pretty much am in shock over the whole ordeal. Thank you guys who posted suggestions, I wish I could have told you that we were able to save one of them. Looks like its back to the old drawing board.

billsreef
05/14/2001, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news :(

Unfortunately without microscopic examination it is difficult to tell precisely what was the cause. The progression does sound more like a virulent protozoan rather than a toxin to me in light of the transfer to clean water. Had you added anything to the tank recently?

I would suggest either leaving the tank fishless for a month or so or sterlizing everything with bleach and starting over from scratch. Usually the waiting game without any food for the parasite is sufficient.

BTW hopefully the fishing is better this year (meaning I actually get to go) ;)

mobilemarine
05/14/2001, 11:31 PM
Thanks Bill, I hadn't added anything recently that wasn't quarentined first. In fact fish were all healthy and eating and thriving up to the outbreak. It happens really fast and the prgression is super rapid. The puffer this morning looked like hell, so tried a last minute treatment with maracyn, but it was too late. I think I'm gonna try the waiting route with a couple of huge water changes. Don't like to use bleach unless totally necessary. What's weird about it all is that the damsel is still in the tank and doing fine. Should I yank him out while waiting? Also what do you think about cranking up the heat in the tank as well to fry any kind of parasite that might be lurking?
Hop eto hearback from you, and thanks again.

Agu
05/15/2001, 03:50 PM
I'm no pro, but in light of the past events I'd remove the last fish and and leave the tank vacant for at least a month. During that time I'd advocate feeding flake food to keep the tank cycled.

fwiw,
Agu

horge
05/15/2001, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the losses, mobilemarine.
I'm tending to agree with bill at this point, that it was a contagion of some sort.

Bill, if you do go on a fishing trip, pack a camera.

mobilemarine
05/15/2001, 07:22 PM
Hi again guys, I was curious as to what you guys think of the idea of throwing in a few heaters and turning up the heat in the tank to cook any parasite that might be kicking around? Of course I'll remove the damsel first. Any feedback would be appreciated.

billsreef
05/15/2001, 09:43 PM
Cranking up the heat is also likely to fry any life in the LR and leaving you with a fouled tank. I would suggest just waiting it out. Also Agu makes a good point about removing the damsel.