PDA

View Full Version : Who in the reef hobby lives in syracuse ny or close by

Vins Fins
05/03/2000, 07:21 PM
Any one live near me syracuse? I would like to get a small reef club society together. haven't heard of any reef clubs in my area. or just to get together with others to see there reefs.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/vguarno/

Vinny

Mac
05/03/2000, 08:28 PM
hey man, we just started the upstate reef society here in rochester, just a jog down the thruway.
zmann is the founder and president if you can call it that, we have 5 guys in it already.
go to zmanns homepage and you will find the link there. let us know if you are interested.
you HAVE to check out marks place on route 11 near 31 off of 81. i dont know the name of his shop, its in the phone book, tell him i sent you.
steve

Zmann
05/03/2000, 08:42 PM
Thanks Mac for calling me the founder and president but actually it was a mutual thought that Playfair and I came up with. So I guess you could call us both, just 2 reefers trying to gather some other interested reefers together to share beers, stare at tanks, trade coral frags and take LFS trips together. No authority figures here.

------------------
Our Little Ocean (http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/bell/738)

[This message has been edited by Zmann (edited 05-03-2000).]

Vins Fins
05/03/2000, 09:26 PM
cool, glad to see i'm not the only reefer in central ny. I currently belong to the cny
aquarium society.I've been breeding fresh water fish for a few years now.our club does not offer much for sw reefs.5 guys is a start
lets see how many others are in our area.
anyone else close by?

Vinny

Mac
05/04/2000, 06:54 AM
zmann, you the pres. (at least thats what you told me....)hahaha
we should plan on hooking up at a store sometime.
vins, i am origionally from the 'cuse, only to move a year ago out west.
used to live right down the street from fairmount aquarium, not too particularly fond of them, i think they are overpriced for the most part.
oh well, but i guess this entire hobby is........

Kenzy
05/04/2000, 03:12 PM
Hi Vinny, does Gananoque count on the Canadian side? I'd be interested and willing to travel.

Zmann
05/04/2000, 04:14 PM
Mac if I'm the Pres. I vote you out. Considering there is no President I guess you stay :rolleyes:

------------------
Our Little Ocean (http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/bell/738)

Vins Fins
05/04/2000, 04:41 PM
Hi Kenzy,

Depending on on how many people there are and what areas there comming from i think we would probly pick a central position so that the majority should not have to travel more
than one hour.if we get enough people then we can start a non profit club and be eligable to get reputable speakers to share info.probly a yearly auction to raise money
for the speakers travel expences, and club trips. Lets see how many more are interested.

Vinny

TEW
05/04/2000, 05:08 PM
Originally from good 'ol Baldwinsville here!!! Now living in Baltimore and am currently serving as the president of CMAS, chesapeake marine aquaria society. We are having our yearly seminar this weekend with Joyce Wilkerson, Ron Schimek, Eric Borneman and Bob Stark. I'll be headed up north next weekend for my neice's graduation from Oswego...... Any good stores I should be checking out while I'm in town ? ....... Let us know if there's anything we can help you with as you all get organized.... a reef / marine club is definitely the way to go. We now have 104 active members and will host MACNA next year (2001) here at the Inner Harbor !!
Tom

Vins Fins
05/04/2000, 10:30 PM
Thanks Tom,

there is a store on rt 104 in oswego called
discount tropical pets. they have many lg salt water FO tanks. 180's stacked. not much reef stuff. there is a place out in auburn called tropical fish emporium. lots of reef
stuff, but a bit to expensive.
could you give me some idea's on how you rounded up 100 people, and if you could send me one of you're club news letters if you guys post one. please e-mail me and let me no

thanks, Vinny

Mac
05/05/2000, 07:54 AM
Tom, I am from Bville too. I grew up there in Village green , graduated high school in 86.
my family all lives there, my bro is a cop actually there.
P.S I said it before, i will say it again, for reefing, the best store in the syr area, i think, is a little shop on route 11 and 31. thats if you are in the syr area.
your right, vin, auburn is WWWWWWAAAAAYYYY to overpriced. i dont even waste my time going there anymore.
mac

TEW
05/05/2000, 09:16 AM
Hey Mac,
Will be coming up on Friday. Where exactly is this store and what's it called? Will I go by there on my way up to Fulton?

Thanks for the info....
Tom

Mac
05/05/2000, 09:21 PM
tom, the store is located off of I-81 going north from syracuse to the north. the cicero exit is route 31. on your way to fulton....no, not really. i am not sure of what way you go to fulton probably 481.
in any case the name of the store is cicero saltwater something, been there only once.
actually, i just grabbed the info, i believe it is cicero aquarium, phone number is 315-698-2562. ask for mark, tell him steve from rochester sent you.
maybe he'll work with me on the next coral i buy. ha. his hours are 10-9 every day, sunday 11-5.
let me know your feedback.
i think he has someting working there.

TEW
05/06/2000, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the info, Steve........
I'll try to leave Baltimore early enough that I can stop in and check it out.

Tom