PDA

View Full Version : Nerite grazers from IPSF

badgers
04/25/2000, 07:40 AM
How do you keep these things in the tank??
They were shipped without any water and I have had them for 4 days now and every day I have found some of them out of the tank. They make it all the way to the floor and them some.

------------------
I'm so skeptical, I can hardly believe it!
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

RobertK
04/25/2000, 08:15 AM
I've had the same problem with mine. I don't know if I even have any left. Last time I ordered from IPSF I had him leave out the nerites and the hermit crabs and he sent a few extra trocus instead.

JohnL
04/25/2000, 04:21 PM
A lot of nerite sp. are intertidal. I had the same experience with the ones I got from IPSF also. The ones I got from Premium Aquatics are a different species and do not climb out of the tank. The PA species is also a much better grazer.

------------------
Peace - John

newkie
04/25/2000, 04:43 PM
Don't feel bad, same thing happened to me. Every week or two I'd look to find a few more dried up behind the tank. Out of maybe a dozen I have just a couple left.

Agu
04/25/2000, 10:12 PM
My hermits prefer nerite shells, if they can get them before they escape. Found one three feet from the tank and still cruising, heading for the fridge full of Leinenkugels (Wisconsin) beer.

billsreef
04/26/2000, 07:39 AM
What I remember from my invert. bio classes of too many years ago is that all Nerites are intertidal. So far my own field observations back up my classroom learning. I have yet to personally see any nerites offered for sale that do not end up on the floor. They are great algae grazers but I think we will need to create tidal conditions in our tanks to keep these snails alive.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

blackfish
04/26/2000, 09:09 AM
Hey badgers,
I'll confirm the info from others above. Nerites are intertidal - which Gerald at IPSF will readily tell you. A few will get out of the tank; the others will quickly adapt to finding a niche under the top lip during the day and not taking the big leap (or unsuccessful beer run - agu, you crack me up).

I like mine because they are prolific nocturnal grazers, and as agu sez, my hermits like their vacated shells. IMO, just part of "life on the reef"...!
cheers,
blackfish