PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Bullseye Mushrooms?

ReeferMac
08/16/2003, 06:48 AM
I got some Singapore Bullseye Mushrooms from Tropicorium back in late March, and have had them under a couple different kinds of lighting. None of them seem to be making the corals happy, as they all still look like crap, compared to what I remember buying there...
What's the best conditions for these things? Regular mushrooms I've kept under every condition under the sun, Ricordea's seem to be able to adapt to a wide range IME... What's the special trick with the Bullseye's? IIRC at Trop they were under some pretty intense lighting, so I'm wondering if I should move these up in the tank, to acro territory? Right now I have a couple rocks that are on my sandbed. Tank is 230-gallon lit w/ 2x400 20K Radium HQI's and 2x250 Iwasaki bulbs. High flow for all the hard corals, but I've got a handful of LPS and like corals doing well.
TIA for any advice.

- Mac

Zepplin
08/16/2003, 07:05 AM
ReeferMac-I also have some bullseye mushrooms purchased from Trop. As I recall, they took forever to get happy and grow.

I love Trop, but sometimes I wonder if a coral's transition from their big 10,000 gallon sun-lit vats, to our artificially lit tanks hastens the process of adaptation. However, their mushroom tanks are quite impressive, they have an incredible variety.

The acro frags we've bought from Trop seem to be the same way. Their sps, grown under sun light, take comparatively longer to start growing then tank grown frags we purchased elsewhere.

We have our bullseyes midway up the tank under the 175 watt Iwasakis, but they're actually get some light from the 400 watter as well. I think it might be a waiting game in this case.

Anyone else have suggestions for reefermac?

-Meg :)

Gary Majchrzak
08/20/2003, 08:08 AM
ReeferMac- kinda funny that I got shrooms at Tropicorium only a few months after you did. I still don't know which ones you got, but here's mine. I'm keeping this one on the substrate. It receives lighting from all of my lights plus morning sunshine. This shroom definitely appears more colorful when lit by sunlight.
These are definitely not your 'average shrooms'. I believe this is Rhodactis cf. inchoata . {Below the shroom is one of my Stichodactyla tapetum }.

ReeferMac
08/20/2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks Gary,

Yeah, those look very similar to the one's I picked out. If Dick's tanks were at all like they were in March... there's just too many colors to describe. Beautiful things, and even though they were pricey... if they looked anything like when I bought them... I would be happy. Sigh... Soon, Patience, I know, I know.. :rolleyes:
I let them sit somewhere's for a few weeks, and then move them because I think they might look better over there... I still can't decide if I'm giving them enough light, either. I've got one spot on the one side of my tank that just looks like a perfect fit for one of my mushroom rocks... but it's in Acro territory, so some pretty intense lighting... but I think these kind of mushrooms can take it, can't they?

- Mac

Gary Majchrzak
08/21/2003, 12:04 AM
My understanding is that these shrooms occur naturally in very brightly lit areas, but are usually receiving indirect light because they are clinging sideways off branch rock.
Tropicorium had them under full sun in the greenhouse...man they looked spectacular!
Here's a pic of some others. These are almost 'cryptic' in coloration.

Zepplin
08/21/2003, 01:25 AM
Here is a picture of one of the bullseyes I got at Tropicorium. It was a lot more red when I purchased it. It has split a hand full of times now, but its been about 2 years since this purchase.

http://www.thenerdary.com/images/August2003/pic%20228.jpg

-Meg :)

ReeferMac
08/21/2003, 05:07 AM
Nice looking Shroomer Gary - THAT's what I bought... oh so many months ago!

Nice Closeup Meg! I never saw them that close, so I'm glad to have seen that!

- Mac