PDA

View Full Version : How high is this one gonna go? (Red Yuma on ebay)

Zepplin
08/15/2003, 12:42 AM
You're guess is as good as mine. It is an outstanding ricordea, that's for sure. They even include an orange Yuma, but let's admit it, that's not the selling point here. I'd be all over it, but I gotta eat this semester!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2340422213&category=3212

-Meg :)

Bryan come onnnnnnnnnnnn hook me up :D !

dwarfatize
08/15/2003, 12:44 AM
I emailed him and he said that he wouldn't stop the auction for any price. He also said that he would sell it for 160-200 in his store.

Zepplin
08/15/2003, 12:48 AM
I see I'm not the only reefer who's been stealthy observing this auctions progress!

-Meg :D

dwarfatize
08/15/2003, 12:54 AM
I'm on ebay every day looking for a bargin. LOL. So far I have not found anything except an auction for 25 ricordeas. The thing that ticks me off are the few people that get into a bidding war and raise up the price. oh well. I guess they diserve to pay more then they should.

Zepplin
08/15/2003, 04:45 AM
I see a lot of items on ebay that strike me as pricey even for this hobby -lol. You know what my favorite e-bay gimmick is? They label everything rare. "Rare" brown feather duster, "rare" purple discosoma, "rare" green montipora digitata. I wonder how many new hobbyists are taken in by that trend?

-Meg

Azurel
08/15/2003, 09:12 AM
I might bid on it, tired of waiting!!!!!

Azurel
08/15/2003, 09:15 AM
up to $202 bucks now...forget it I can wait a little longer

Bryan Thompson
08/15/2003, 09:29 AM
That is crazy!!! He is making a killing on that. Red yuma are very rare and very hard to get but over $200 for one that small is crazy.

Bryan

Mako
08/15/2003, 09:34 AM
That's crap in the biggest sense of the word guys/gals. There is no need to get caught up in the frenzy that is Ebay. You just have to work the land. ;)

As an example, look what our new sponsor Blowfish Aquatics would sell that for. red yuma (http://www.blowfishaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BA&Product_Code=CP108&Category_Code=CPR) That is but one of a dozen examples I could show you. I have seen them go for $80 a polyp at my local LFS and had to pass thinking that is just insane. Looking at Ebay, I just have to shake my head and laugh. :lol: Gotta luv capitalism!

Azurel
08/15/2003, 09:42 AM
Yea I'll wait for Bryan at Blowfish to hook me up, not gonna let myself get snookered into spending more then I have to. I would pay $80 or so a polyp for it or maybe a little more, but thats to much and I can't have the wifey getting mad at me for spending her hard earned cash lol....ohh wait thats my hard earned cash....she just thinks it's hers...

dwarfatize
08/15/2003, 01:25 PM
So now you are going after my yuma huh? Well when it slits I will sell. Thanks Bryan!:D All the corals are doing great. I don't know why that one coral was in the cast away. It looks fine with the exception of 2-3 polyps.

Mako
08/15/2003, 01:29 PM
Was doing the double take there for a min. Both of you having the same avatar screwed me up. So Dwarfitize...you were the lucky customer who snagged that Yuma from Blowfish?

dwarfatize
08/15/2003, 01:36 PM
yep! I called him about 2 min after he posted it. LOL

liv4speed1
08/15/2003, 01:38 PM
202 bucks, that could buy a good skimmer.....

Bryan Thompson
08/15/2003, 02:49 PM
Dwarfatize,

Love the new avatar.

Bryan

dwarfatize
08/15/2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks I do too! LOL! I hope you don't mind.

Zepplin
08/15/2003, 03:57 PM
OMG!-This is getting looney. Wait,wait,wait, maybe I'm still in the running. How much do you think I could sell Dan's sperm for on the internet?

Azurel
08/15/2003, 04:23 PM
2 bucks so he better have alot of it.....LOL

Bryan Thompson
08/15/2003, 11:05 PM
Meg,

Well I thought Dan could get at least $3.00. Tell him to get busy.

Dwarfatize

I don't mind at all. Just glad you enjoy your new yuma.

Bryan

Zepplin
08/16/2003, 01:28 AM
Well, good thing Dan produces in bulk. I didn't realize the market was that bad.

Still at 202.50 and the tension is rising...rising...RISING!

Come on ebay bidders, you know you wanna blow your wad on this one! (no pun).

dwarfatize
08/16/2003, 01:32 AM
Hi Bryan! I am enjoying it. I even redid my aquascaping just for it. LOL. I redid my aquascaping cause a rock fell taking out several others.but now it looks better then ever.
Thanks,
Dane

Zepplin
08/18/2003, 11:21 PM
The auction ends with a $205 bid. Bids went up in huge increments at the begging, but once they got over 200 they started counting every penny-lol.

Well, congratulations to who ever won that beautiful coral. I know you really really wanted it, because you really really just got ripped. However, I should remember that on a free market, something is worth what people will pay for it.

KikoRTAW
08/19/2003, 06:01 AM
Winning bid: US $205.00

Thats almost $400 AUD!! :eek2:

I could get lots on Ricordeas with that amount of cash, but i can find some in stock, as Ricordeas are very rare in Australia, but i was lucky to pick up like 7 on a rock with a 10cm diameter brain coral. The LFS didnt even see them :) I guess they thought they were just fluffy mushrooms.

Mike;)

SaltwaterSensei
08/19/2003, 12:06 PM
wow,
my pink yuma is way nicer then that one, think I can get 400 bux for it?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

posjr
08/19/2003, 12:14 PM
WOW. I think i'll never pay that much. and if i did my wife will have my head.

sinned
08/19/2003, 01:58 PM
I went to aquaprop (seller on ebay) today and saw the red yuma....
it's very very nice (huge with great coloring) in fact, Brian informed
me, seller wants a few more at about $200 each.....Dennis (fish2223)

Zepplin
08/19/2003, 08:39 PM
I can't blame aquaprop for giving people what they want. However, economics aside this seems like gouging. I wonder how much the online vendors pay to acquire these reds in the first place. Do the actual collectors charge a premium for uncommon corals? Or do they just go and collect as instructed for some kind of flat fee?

-Meg

Bryan Thompson
08/19/2003, 10:29 PM
Meg,

They charge a premium. The bad thing is that even with the premium, you still can't get all you want. They are very rare and very hard to find.

Bryan

johnrags1234
08/19/2003, 10:47 PM
What a ripoff. Ive seen alot of nicer red yumas anyway.

I know nthey are in the business to make money, and I really understand that, but I feel their is a line when it comes to taking advantage of people, and they are a mile past it!

JMO,

John

arcab4
08/19/2003, 11:15 PM
thought i would chime in here...

we did pay a premium for these ricordeas. i rarely see them and the times i do, they're usually reserved for someone else. i always wonder who these someone else's are..since they always have the nicest and rarest pieces reserved already.

we opted to put them on ebay because that way the buyer would dictate the price of the ricordea and not us. there was no reserved pricing on that particular auction if you noticed.

johnrags - how are we taking advantage of people by putting it on ebay? we don't force them to buy it. they bid on it to a price they want to pay for the ricordea. and like i mentioned, there was no reserved price on that auction.

anyways, thought i'd chime in here.

thanks for listening! :)

Zepplin
08/19/2003, 11:50 PM
arcab- I REALLY didn't mean to instigate any resentment towards vendors. I hope that won't happen here. The ricordea you just sold is beautiful, and you are not at all responsible for how much people are willing to spend. I buy SPS too you know. Frankly, now that I think of it, I've over-spent more then one time for rare sps frags.

A lot of online SPS vendors charge $100 for a 1-2" frag of certain species. I think strikes more of a nerve in the mushroom collectors world to see the $200 pricetags, because many people think softies are the cheap route to reefing. I'm sorry I was a unfair to you.

However, while we're on the subject of the collection chain I'd like to know more.

Where are these red/pink yumas coming from (any islands, or groups of islands that yield large numbers of yumas)?

Do most of you vendors have them shipped directly from collection point of origin to your home base, or are there middlemen (wholesalers)?

How do you choose collectors?

What kind of permits/permission do you have to obtain to actually collect and export the natural resources of another country?

Seems like it would be a nightmare to figure all this out.

Wilafur
08/20/2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by johnrags1234
What a ripoff. Ive seen alot of nicer red yumas anyway.

I know nthey are in the business to make money, and I really understand that, but I feel their is a line when it comes to taking advantage of people, and they are a mile past it!

JMO,

John how can that be a ripoff? its not like aquaprop stuck a gun to the buyers head and said buy the ric for $XXX or i will blow your head off.

the market dictates the price of a commodity, the buyer obviously felt the pink/red ric was worth $XXX to him and he purchased it for that amount.

many people ask why there is not a lot of "good stuff" in the US market, this is because people in outher parts of the world are willing to 5-10x more than we will for certain corals and fish.

money talks loud and clear.