PDA

View Full Version : Overflow hight help please

Dakan
08/14/2003, 10:55 AM
I am hoping you can help me figure out how high the water level will be above the overflow I am having built. I used your calculaor to design a toothless overflow that will be a total of 24 linear inc. My new 125 glass tank has thick euro bracing that leaves little room between the bottom of the tank molding and the braceing. I want to make sure my water level is hidden by the tank molding. So I need to figure out how deep the water flowing over the overflow will be. If I mess this up my tank will either overflow or the water line will be visable under the molding. I hate visable water lines.

Ok heres the specs.

1200 gph pump
24 linear inc overflow
2 inch drain
tank bracing is 23 1/2 inc up from bottom
tank trim starts at 23 inc up

My though was to have the overflow made 22 3/4 tall?

would 3/4 of an inch be enough room above the overflow?

any advice or other ideas would be great.

Thank You Again!

gregt
08/14/2003, 11:28 AM
There are just too many variables to calculate it with any accuracy.

You can use a throttle on the pump to regulate the water height to some degree. Also, you could put a frame on the top of the aquarium that would extend lower and prevent you from seeing the water line...

Dakan
08/14/2003, 12:18 PM
I know it can be tough to be exact on some of these things. I really appreciate all the advice in your article and in this forum. I am guessing that the water will be a 1/4 to a 3/4 of an inch deep going over the overflow. Anywhere in that range and I should be fine. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all your help,

john

gregt
08/14/2003, 01:02 PM
The best advice I can give you is buy a pump that's too big and throttle it back until the water level is where you want it. ;)