PDA

View Full Version : Iwasakis

tye_c
08/12/2003, 08:42 PM
Does anyone in the area have Iwasakis with vho actinics on their display tanks. I would like to see what your tank looks like. If the color is too yellow, I'll go with 10k Ushio's. I would like to use Iwasaki's for their excellent growth and longevity, but dont really want to sacrifice color. I could supplement with up to 440 Vho actinics. I am sure someone out there uses this setup...I just want to see what it looks like before I dump a bunch of money into a MH system that I dont end up wanting.

Tye

Mantis
08/13/2003, 05:13 PM
I ran that combo of lights many years ago, worked fine but I ended up changing because they were just too yellow. I'm now running two 400 watt Radiums and one 250 watt Iwasaki in a triangle pattern on my corner aquarium. Growth is excellent and color speaks for itself.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=7021&cat=500&thumb=1

I've tried lots of bulb combos and this is my favorite.

tye_c
08/13/2003, 06:40 PM
Even with 440watts of vho actinic it was still too yellow. Do you have any pics of your tank when it had the old setup on it.

geo
08/14/2003, 07:33 AM
i have used them as well, and they are pretty yellow in color. very bright though. I have usio 10 now and honestly to me they look about the same as the sakis when the actinics are off. I like the radiums

tye_c
08/14/2003, 09:18 PM
I like the fact that I could get years out of a saki bulb. I havent heard of any other bulb that you could do that with and still have good growth after time.

Slicktrax
08/14/2003, 10:19 PM
This site has some different combinations of lights that you might find helpful.

www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_bulb_color.htm

geo
08/15/2003, 05:14 AM
todd is running a few sakis, he has a couple that are pretty new and a couple ( i think) that are quite old.