PDA

View Full Version : G.A.R.F. question

imsqueak
08/12/2003, 08:02 PM
Has anyone ordered from G.A.R.F.? Being new, and researching the www, GARF comes up a lot. Besides the site/ordering info-prices being outdated, they have great info. I've done some agrocrete rocks (learned from their site http://www.garf.org/index.html) and need a seed bed so I thought about ordering their "grunge" from them. I also need a coral friendly clean up crew so I thought about ordering some scarletts and various snails from them to combine for the shipping costs. Considering the diversity they claim with the "grunge" and the combined shipping costs I think I can do better than at LFS. (Dennis, no offense to your shop because I havent even visited you yet ~ but I will...)

Any comments, recomendations or alternatives would be appreciated.

Sir Knight
08/12/2003, 08:35 PM
Do a search in RC and you will find a lot of opinions
here is a link that may help you out
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221714&highlight=garf

Hope this helps
Joe W.

SmartWrasse
08/13/2003, 11:20 AM
I have always wanted to try making some LR. The creativity and flexibility aspect would be cool. Making little holes to place plugged frags would be great. I was thinking you could combine the cement LR with store bought kind. You are going to have to tell us more about the rock.

imsqueak
08/13/2003, 05:38 PM
I'll bring some pieces to the meeting on Saturday. I'd say it's easy (it really is if you mix it correctly) but the tub of chunk rock I have that was intended to be arches says otherwise. I'd say that 1 of 2 held together.

The chunk rock should be just about cured with the 4 week fresh water cycle. I've read it needs about 2 weeks in saltwater because for some reason it runs another course of leaching after it gets put into saltwater. Big tanks can handle this, but my 55 cant. I lean towards the safer side and since I havent hooked up a sump and my nitrates are still high, I have time to wait.

I, by no means, want to step on any toes with the upcoming meeting but if ya'll want me to show you how "I" make them I can during the meeting Saturday ~ only takes 10 min. to mix and make. I'll make one tonight and if you want me to show the process saturday we can dig up the one I do tonight on Saturday (takes 48hrs to cure). Otherwise, we can do it another time, NO PROBLEM.

Sir Knight
08/13/2003, 06:51 PM
I think we have a pretty full agenda this month. We will be talking about water chem and Cal reactors. If you would be willing to hold off until next month (September) I would like to see the process myself and I think the rest of the membership would be intertesed in the process

Thanks
Joe W.

The Aquarist
08/13/2003, 07:37 PM
If you wouldn't mind 2 cents from way out of town .........
If you are going to cycle a tank with new sand and home made rock, be aware that even after you seed the tank, you are still starting the whole process with much less pre existing bacteria than you would have on live rock. The cycle period could be extended slightly.

I made a bunch of the stuff too. It's been in fresh water for about 2 weeks so far. I'll split it between 2 established tanks. You definitely have a lot of creative options when making your own rock. I'll be doing this again in the future with my left over ideas.

imsqueak
08/14/2003, 06:52 PM
Joe, No problem to hold off. I did make one last night that I sure hope turns out and doesnt break apart because I think it will be my best arch yet.