PDA

View Full Version : General TOTM Photo Questions

snowman
08/11/2003, 04:31 PM
I have enjoyed many a photo in the TOTM forum but I have a question. This has been undoubtably brought up many times but I'll through it back out there. Are the pictures of these tanks true to life meaning if we were to walk into so and so's home and looked at the tank would it look the same? Is the use of filters and photographic manipulation creating an unfair playing field? If so why don't we have a before the "Magic" requiement? The unmanipulated or unmolested photo would, in my opinion be worth more and say more of a reef and the beauty of it. I am in no way taking aim at any certain tank but come on who's kidding who? Sometimes I think I'm looking at a sales add for photo shop !! Thats my two cents. :)

Skipper
08/11/2003, 04:43 PM
Are the pictures of these tanks true to life meaning if we were to walk into so and so's home and looked at the tank would it look the same? Hello. If you had been following the Tank of the Month thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224469), you might have noticed this comment from usagolf: "I have seen this tank in person and I can say that this tank looks ten times better in real life, if you can believe it."

So... the answer to your question is no. It would look better than the pictures.

snowman
08/11/2003, 05:24 PM
Skipper

I understand your defence of MUCHO's reef. My post had no direct implication to his tank. I tried to make this clear by making this a new post and making the subject "General TOTM Photo Questions" rather than putting a finger on a specific tank or getting personal with the matter. I can in retrospect see how this could be a post taken personally by those haven been recieved tank of the month but it is only a question. I think that this months tank looks great and is very deserved. I would love to have a tank that looks this good. I liked to see a non SPS tank take the rank for a change ! Sorry to have offended. :)

MUCHO REEF
08/11/2003, 10:53 PM
Skipper, it's OK, I understand.

xcountry1120
08/12/2003, 01:52 AM
MUCHOREEF,
I love your tank. I am especially impressed with the simplicity of your setup and maitenance procedures. I have a similar set up in regards to lighting and filtration except in a 40G format. Unfortunately, my tank and its inhabitants pale in comparison to yours. The biggest differences that I observe from what you wrote was the amount that you feed your corals/zoos. How much do you think this affects your tank? Are there any other factors that you think contribute to your tanks health and success? I'm really looking to bring my tank to the next level, and I think what you have displayed is very attainable. Thank you for showing an example of a tank that is not composed of a million pieces of machinery and instead simple and effecient.

xcountry1120
08/12/2003, 02:02 AM
I probably posted the above reply in the wrong thread. Moderator, please redirect this thread as needed. Thanks.

MUCHO REEF
08/17/2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks Xcountry, I think the food is probably a supplement to what they extract from the tank. I know for a fact that the ESV Spary Dried causes my shrooms to expand like crazy. The cyclop eeez is the bomb. It took my bubble tip from a light red to a ruby red, no doubt about it. I think the low bio load, the RO water and just closely watching the tank is the most imporatnt thing I do. Again, I'm just a regular guy, I feel so vain just answering these question. I think every tank is a success. They all just look a little different than the next.