PDA

View Full Version : maybe moving?

russelldubois
08/10/2003, 09:56 AM
Hey Everyone.
I just found out that my wife and I may be moving to the Chicago area in two months and had a few questions.

1.I live in Dallas and have never had a house with a basement so where do you put your tanks?

2.Where is the best prices on tanks and rock?

3.Do you need extra heaters in the winter?(I've never seen more than 2 inches of snow)

I know these may be dumb questions but I would welcome any suggestions or input.

Thanks.
russ

makoshark
08/10/2003, 12:00 PM
Welcome Russel!

If you purchase a house with a basement, depending on the size of the setup, the preferered way to go is to have your display tank on the main living level and your sump, refugium & reactors in a fishroom in the basement. It allows you to have a nice quiet display tank without all the noise of runing pumps. Others put the display tank a wall in the basement. It's really a matter of where you want it and how much extra space you have.

You'll have to shop around for the tank but by far the best place to get live rock is at www.harboraquatics.com (http://www.harboraquatics.com).

I've never seen more than 2 inches of snow
You might want to buy a snow blower in the off season. They are much cheaper in the spring.

If you have two heaters sized appropriately for your tank you don't need any extra heaters. It's just imperative that you have a backup if the main fails.

Good luck with the move!