PDA

View Full Version : How to diagnose? treat?

Helen
05/08/2001, 11:00 AM
My brown saddleback clown has developed black spots or splotches over the past three weeks. They are at least the size of a pinhead - some larger, and they are irregular - no two alike in shape. The number seems to have increased, but there are no other symptoms. Appetite is good, etc. I thought I saw scratching behavior once - but after close observation this has not been repeated. There are some small white round things appearing on the glass. I have been told these are beneficial by my LFS, and not evidence of parasites.

My problem is how to diagnose this and what to do about it? I have gotten conflicting advice which has the effect of paralyzing me. I have been told to do nothing as long as there are no other symptoms. I have been told this could be a vitamin deficiency and not parasites. On the other hand it could be parasites. I have learned that others have tried formalin and hyposalinity and copper treatments. I have also been told not to do this by my LFS, which says it could do more harm than good. I have heard that you can buy medicine and mix it with the frozen fish food.

Instead of enjoying my fish, I now feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, and worry every time I look at the tank. I feel like a bad "fish mom", and wish there was a "fish vet" I could take the fish to.

I'd like to make an educated guess about what to do, if anything. If anyone has advice about what course of action I should take, when I should take it, or even a good book to read or web-site with pictures, I would really be grateful.

Thanks!

FMarini
05/08/2001, 05:21 PM
Helen:
I can say what it appears your LFS said, unless you see clinical signs of disease on your fish, haphazardly treating them w/ medicines is a poor idea. Is this fish in a quarentine tank yet?
Second, have you noticed this fish doing anything out of the ordinary? You mention a one time scratching, and thing else worthy of mentioning.
Last point, there is a thread 2 below your called yellow tang w/ black spots.....
read it
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=22468

Also do a search for black ich or black spot (see the search button in the upper right). this will give you some indication of what to expect and posssibly what to do...
But for right now I would do whats called "watchful waiting"
my opinion
frank

billsreef
05/08/2001, 10:50 PM
Hi Helen,
and
[welcome]

Just to add to what Frank said, sometimes clowns can become melanistic (develop darker coloration) in response to certain evironmental stimuli. Usally some types of anemones, especially carpet anemones.

It might benificial to give us a rundown of your tanks parameters. ie size, how it's set up, water test parameters, other livestock, inverts etc. Also if there is any way you can get a picture and post it that would be great.

Also if you observe any other symptoms be sure and post them. Long distance diagnosis is kind of like a game of 20 questions ;) The more info you can give us and the more questions we can think of to ask the better we can figure it out.

Helen
05/28/2001, 01:43 PM
I've been watching for 3 weeks now. The clown still seems happy. Black spots/splotches are still there. Today a cluster of three new small splotches appeared on the fish body which are identical to the black ones, except they appear to LACK pigment -- very pale (but not white).

The tank setup and parameters are:
20 gallon (high) tank, TUNZE 3110/2 protein skimmer, maxi-jet mp 600 (160 gph) powerhead, ebo-jaber 50 watt heater, marineland penguin bio-wheel filter (130 gph), Live Rock - 12 pounds, aragonite sand (smallish in size), lighting - Custom Sea Life Smartlite (65 Watt?) left on for 9 hours/day.

Temperature-80 degrees, Specific Gravity-1.022, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, ph-8.6, alk-2 milliequivalents/liter.

Livestock - 1 saddleback clown fish (the "patient" in question), 2 astrella snails, 3 hermit crabs. There was a turbo snail, but he has been moved to another location.

What do you all think? I'm worrying a little less, but still puzzled.

Today I ordered B-Ionic Calcium Buffer 2 part system. (About 6-8 weeks ago I started adding Reef Builder to raise alkalinity. - Could this cause spots?)
Is Acquamarine Immune Boost likely to be helpful? (To coat frozen food with.) By the way I am feeding frozen brine shrimp fortified with vitamins. (For two years I had this fish in a smaller tank and fed a brand of frozen brine shrimp without any vitamins.)

Also, I am planning to replace the powerhead with a 106 gph one, instead of 160 gph.

Would an anemone be beneficial?

I'm very grateful for any idea of what the spots might be, or for any advice. Fortunately, so far, the fish's behavior seems normal. If you need any other information, please let me know. Thank you so much!

Terry B
05/28/2001, 02:09 PM
Up until the point that you said that your fish is now developing spots without pigment I agreed with the others. Clownfish do sometimes develop darkened areas on thier bodies. If they are symetrical I wouldn't worry about it.
Since these are irregular I would be more concerned. Areas of changed pigmentation can indicate some type of parasitic infection. Since the areas are not small and round it is probably not ich. It is possible that some of your other fish are infected.
I would try moving the fish to quarantine and using a formalin dip (not in Q tank). If the fish reacts to the formalin get it out right away. Unfortunatley, it is pretty difficult to diagnose the problem without seeing the fish. Multifocal pigment change can be caused by stress. The next step should be to treat in the Qtank with Nitrofurazone at 40mg per gallon for three to five days. Use just one dose on the first day lasting for the entire treatment period.
If you don't know how to correctly administer a formalin DIP then ask.
Terry B

Alice
06/24/2001, 01:23 AM
Hmmm...I know I'm reading this way after the fact (trying to bone up on fish diseases/treatments as it were) but my maroon clown went through exactly the same symptoms. This was my second fish in my first tank and I FREAKED. I was also given about the same answers, which are valid and tried and true, but, it turns out my clown was going through "the change." She's now almost completely black with white stripes, rather striking actually. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this; I can't think of much else more stressful than having a sex change! ;)

~Alice

Helen
06/24/2001, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. That's a new one Alice:)

It's been two months now, and I've gotten past the FREAK stage. I'm still watching and so far my fish seems happy. The pale spots have gone. The dark spots are still there.

I have the q-tank ready, but hope I won't need it . . .