PDA

View Full Version : How long for a shroom to attach?

jeo
08/09/2003, 11:52 PM
I started up a nano a week ago and I clipped two shrooms out of my 75 gallon reef at the stem with scissors and put them on the rock in my nano. I was wondering how long it will be until they attach (and so is my hermit, becasue he is in quarintine until they do becasue he keeps knocking them off the rock :D )

Faerytale
08/10/2003, 12:03 AM
You can try holding them down lightly with bridal veil netting. It might take a couple of weeks. When I got mine I set it in a low flow area on a rick and it was attached a few days later. never had to put anything over it either.

HTH

Rosie

jeo
08/10/2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks Rosie. Does it really take a that long? I thought it would be only a few days. Also, how do you keep the bridal veil in place?

dwarfatize
08/10/2003, 12:44 AM
a rubberband

jeo
08/10/2003, 12:52 AM
hmmmm, I don't think a rubber band would be possible on the rock I have in my nano.

dwarfatize
08/10/2003, 12:56 AM
you could try fishing line.

jeo
08/10/2003, 12:57 AM
what about glueing them? I have heard of people doing that before...

dwarfatize
08/10/2003, 01:05 AM
I haven't tried it but I don't think it would work to well.

Faerytale
08/10/2003, 09:35 AM
I doubt the glueing will work, they tend to slime up quite a bit. You can use fishing line to hold the bridal veil or try a rubberband.

You can also lay it in a small cup of substrate in a low flow area, allow it to attach to the substrate and then glue it to a rock. I know this is done with ricordia, I think it would work here as well.

HTH

Rosie

jeo
08/10/2003, 09:47 AM
ok, so is a couple of weeks the general consensus on how long it will take for them to attach?

reefmarker
08/10/2003, 09:29 PM
Matters. Some mushrooms attach in a day. Others take a long time. I would use bridal veil and try a week. If a week works for that particular mushroom try 5 days next time.

Jim...

P.S. I have some mushrooms that take less than 1 day to attach. Others take over a week.

jeo
08/10/2003, 10:40 PM
thanks reefmarker

I am still tempted to try the glue. I read an article on how to propogate discoma at thesea.org and he uses superglue to attach the shrooms. I dunno if it will work or not, but I will let everyone know how it goes

Tahoe Ocean
08/11/2003, 08:20 PM
I use some crushed coral for my snippettes to attach to. I snip them, place them into a little gladware cup with the CC (enough to weigh it down), place it in the back corner of the tank, and usually anywhere from 24hr to 1 week I have babies ready to glue on anywhere I like, or trade off. When I get them ready to go to new homes I give them the full week so I know they're happy and stuck to some of the CC really well. I'm letting go of a few this week in fact. It's like adopting out puppies but then getting new puppies to replace them.:D

jeo
08/15/2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks Tahoe Ocean, that sounds like a good method. the two shrooms I have in my nano have been laying on the sand for a while and have attached to it. I took one out and glued the sand it attched to to a small pice of rubble. The shroom didn't look too happy after I did this. I will see how it looks today when I get home from work.