PDA

View Full Version : Sept 6, 2003 SEASL Meeting Announcement

Saltgills
08/08/2003, 10:39 AM
Greetings Salty Friends,

Last weekend Paul, Scott and I met to discuss the upcoming 2003-2004 SEASL season. We called this our Summer Summit. One change we agreed upon was to hold SEASL meetings on the first Saturday of the month. We felt this would result in fewer conflicts with holidays.

Therefore, our first meeting will be Saturday September 6, 2003. It will start at 10 AM and conclude at 12 PM. The meeting will be at Barry Pearlman’s home. His address and phone number are:
1229 Traverton Drive
Chesterfield, MO
636-532-8022

REMEMBER, SEASL IS AN OPEN CLUB. EVERYONE IS WELCOME ALL THE TIME.

We are expecting a good turnout, so please bring a lawn chair to ensure you have a seat. Also, we again encourage anyone who would like, to bring an appetizer or dessert to pass. Barry will provide the entrée for lunch. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if you would RSVP to me jjcraig@charter.net or Barry barrypearlman@earthlink.net ASAP.

We should be able to announce the program for this meeting within the next couple days. But, as a heads up, we are planning the coral propagation workshop for the October meeting. Brad Witte has already agreed to host this event again this year. Make plans to attend so you will have frags to trade at the spring Frag Swap. Also, begin to look through your reef for propagation candidates you would like to bring to this event.

At the Summer Summit, we also made the following decisions:
1. Based on member’s recommendations at the May 2002 meeting, we will retain the leadership structure of three executive officers. However, we will create a 3-yr, staggered terms for those officers.. To get this rotation rolling (ha ha), the executive officers agreed to the following arrangement. Paul volunteered to make his seat available for election. Scott will serve one more year and I will serve two more years. This means one executive officer position will be open for nomination at our first meeting.

2. We will open a position for Club Secretary. This person will primarily be responsible for taking meeting minutes and producing a meeting recap for distribution to club members and posting to the website.

3. We will continue the Participating Member Designation program.

4. Our website will be overhauled. In addition, the webmaster responsibility will be passed to Gary Duke.

That about it for now. Let me know if you have any questions. On behalf of the executive officers, we eagerly look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones as we start this new SEASL season.

Take care,

Jim Craig

DStroman
08/10/2003, 01:09 PM
Has it ever been considered to alternate the meeting day? I would really like to attend a meeting but since I work saturdays it would be difficult to make any.

Thanks,

David

big red
08/10/2003, 04:47 PM
David,
Great question and one we have agonized with over the past two years. Ultimately, there is no schedule that will fit all St. Louis area hobbyists. Last year we had a number of SEASL store tours during the week and each had a very good turnout. However, we kept most of our meetings on Saturdays.

If you would, please start a thread asking for input on SEASL schedules (Sat. vs Sun. vs weekday, etc.). Jim, Paul, and I would be interested in the feedback on dates as well as any other items associated with SEASL.

Thanks.
Scott

TimsReef
08/11/2003, 08:45 PM
Is no one here attending MACNA? It is the same weekend and is being held in Louisville this year.

Tim

Nanook
08/14/2003, 08:42 AM
I scheduled off for MACNA this year, wouldn't miss it. I am really looking forward to meeting all the RC people in person finally...the more the merrier!

Dave:)

kentrob11
08/14/2003, 10:38 AM
I was gonna go spend the whole time plowed with nookie and griss but my wife decided we should be in Turkey then....Dammit! Oh well....I'll be there next year...:rolleye1:

big red
08/17/2003, 02:21 PM
While the specific agenda will be posted shortly, I wanted to announce the topic and leader of the discussion at the meeting on Sep. 6th.

The presentation and discussion at the first meeting will focus on lighting. While information on many different types of lighting will be presented/discussed, a significant portion of the time will focus on Metal Halide lighting and the various systems being used today. SEASL is very fortunate to have George Rissmann (aka Griss) leading the discussion. In addition to many years of experience in the hobby, George has personal experience with several types of MH lighting and will also present recent published reports on bulb - ballast combinations/comparisons. When you add in all the systems being used by members, we should have a great discussion.

Please join us Saturday, Sep. 6th from 10-12 and remember to RSVP to the above addresses.

SEASL IS AN OPEN CLUB. EVERYONE IS WELCOME ALL THE TIME.

Hope to see you there.
Scott

planker
08/27/2003, 09:05 PM
is there any way you could rethink the first Sat of the month every month? I'm in the reserves and that is the first weekend of the month except when it conflicts with a holiday. if not i guess i'll have to meet everyone at a LFS tour

Saltgills
08/27/2003, 09:17 PM
For those of you who did not get Barry's email today on the SEASL email list, here it is.

Fellow Enthusiasts –

The September meeting is here. Where is here, you ask?

1229 Traverton Drive
Chesterfield, MO
636-532-8022

Directions: The best way to direct you is to start with Hwy 64 (Hwy 40) & the Clarkson/Olive exit. Clarkson becomes Olive St. Road in Chesterfield at the Hwy 64 overpass. Once you are at the overpass or come off of the highway, you want to go east, or on Olive St. Road.

The first stoplight is the one at the bottom of the highway off ramp. The next stoplight is Swigley Ridge, which has as it’s landmark the Chesterfield Post Office on the north side. Keep going east.

The next stoplight is Chesterfield Parkway, with a Shell and a BP/ Mobile on the south side of the road. Keep on motoring to the next stoplight which is Appalachian Trail and the entrance to Shenandoah Subdivision.

Turn right onto Appalachian Trail and go EXACTLY 1 mile. You will pass an elementary school on your left (stop sign). At the end of the 1 mile, you will come to Traverton Drive on your right. Make a right onto Traverton and I am the third house on the right. Traverton is a 10 house cul de sac.

So far, I have the following telling me that they are coming:
Tommy G.
Linda R.
Doug & Mary J
Gary
Chris
Corbin B

We have the entrée covered, along with soda and chips. I also need a volunteer for a couple of bags of ice (can get at BP/Mobil station mentioned above and probably at Shell). Could probably use some more soda. Deserts will no go to waste here (will go to waist, however). Just past Chesterfield Parkway there is a Schnucks on the right if you are into last minute shopping.

BRING A CHAIR – depending upon the size of the group and the weather we might use the patio – chairs are something I am short of.

As an addition to the agenda, some of you have heard me procrastinate about looking into white LED’s with an eye to lighting an aquarium. I have a few samples and more on order to attempt to build a small test light panel. I will try to jury-rig one or two of the samples for a miniature demonstration.

Look forward to see everyone in 1 ½ weeks.

Barry

Doug Piranha
08/27/2003, 11:20 PM
Hello,

I would love to attend the meeting and will be happy to bring something. I just returned to St. Louis after being away for a few years and look forward to meeting some of the Seasl members.

Let me know.

Kurt

Nanook
08/27/2003, 11:30 PM
Hi Kurt,

and

[welcome]

Look forward to talking with you in the future.

Dave:)

griss
08/28/2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Doug Piranha
Hello,

I would love to attend the meeting and will be happy to bring something. I just returned to St. Louis after being away for a few years and look forward to meeting some of the Seasl members.

Let me know.

Kurt
Hey Kurt, we live in the same area. We'll have to get together some time to talk tanks:)

George

Doug Piranha
08/28/2003, 04:59 PM
That sounds great. I live at 109 and Clayton in Winding Woods Subdivision. I'll PM you my number

Kurt

reef-man_d-man
08/28/2003, 05:30 PM
I am going to try and make it to the meeting on the 6th, and am planning on joining. Let me know what I need to do to join???

Saltgills
08/28/2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by reef-man_d-man
Let me know what I need to do to join???

We are an open group. There are no membership requirements or handshakes. Everyone is always welcome. We do have a participating membership designation that is explained on the SEASL website. http://www.seasl.org/pmdqualification.htm

Hope to see you on the 6th.

Jim Craig

big red
08/29/2003, 02:06 PM
Doug,
I too live in that area.
Griss lives in the high rent and I live on the other side in the low rent (~109 Manchester).
Hope to see you at the SEASL meeting or around the hood.
Scott

RD
09/03/2003, 01:59 PM
I might be able to swing this event also, as it is on a Saturday and I need to come to St. Louis anyway. Would be nice to meet a couple of the people I have spoken to in chat (nanook, griss).

My tank is finally up and cycling (yes nanook, if you remember me we did discuss my lighting about 8 months ago!), and should be ready for the first inhabitants about mid september.

Glad to see a local site with so much traffic! Look forward to pestering every last one of you folks.

Dave

griss
09/03/2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by RD
I might be able to swing this event also, as it is on a Saturday and I need to come to St. Louis anyway. Would be nice to meet a couple of the people I have spoken to in chat (nanook, griss).

My tank is finally up and cycling (yes nanook, if you remember me we did discuss my lighting about 8 months ago!), and should be ready for the first inhabitants about mid september.

Glad to see a local site with so much traffic! Look forward to pestering every last one of you folks.

Dave
Uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood:D

Just kidding, nice to hear from you again Dave.

George

jmilt
09/06/2003, 09:20 PM
Doug,

I live right down the road from Big Red. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Jason

Saltgills
09/06/2003, 09:30 PM
With all you guys in one area, I smell a SEASL program. How about a Wildwood area tank tour some day of your choosing. We would move from house to house, as a group, to see your tanks? All we need is maybe 45 min to an hour at each house, then on to the next. What do you think? (nothing like inviting ourselves in, eh?)

Jim Craig

big red
09/06/2003, 09:47 PM
Sounds good.
I'm in.
:cool:

reef-man_d-man
09/06/2003, 10:11 PM
I dont think 45 min is enough for Griss to exaplain everything on his tank lol

jmilt
09/07/2003, 03:15 PM
Sounds good. Give me a couple of months to get my tank in order. Then come on over.
Jason

Doug Piranha
09/07/2003, 09:00 PM
Count me in. I am at 109 and Clayton.

Kurt

Saltgills
09/11/2003, 09:45 PM
September 2003 Meeting

Thank you EVERYONE for another great SEASL meeting. This meeting was an excellent example of what can be done with the talents, energy, and generosity that our members and local experts share so freely. Barry and Diane Pearlman were wonderful hosts and we enjoyed the beautiful weather as we conducted our meeting on their back porch.

The meeting opened with a quick introduction of the executive officers and 21 other people in attendance. It was great to see so many new faces, yet we missed our regulars who could not attend today. Hope to see you next month.

Old Business: - None

New Business:

Greg Frimel was elected to fill the opening for the third executive officer position. I know Greg will make an excellent addition to the executive committee. At the same time, we all noted Paul’s years of ongoing dedication to SEASL and wished him well as he rotated out of his executive officer position.

Barry Pearlman was elected to serve in the newly created position as secretary. The primary responsibility of this position will be to take meeting minutes and prepare meeting recaps. Those will be posted to our email list and our forum on Reef Central.

We discussed the progress of our "Under Construction" web site. We are trying to work our some technicalities in the web hosting function, but hope that soon (maybe before the next meeting) we can open the site.

The new email list is open for subscription. Since its opening the evening of 9/4/03 we have had 26 people subscribe. Please follow this link to subscribe. http://mail.seaplace.org/mailman/listinfo/seasl Keep these tips in mind.

The subscription process is automated. As part of the process you will be given several options to configure your personal settings.

As part of the subscription process, you will be sent a confirmation email. YOU MUST RESPOND TO THAT EMAIL TO COMPLETE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION REQUEST.

If you respond to a posting, and you want your response to go to the entire list, you must use the "reply to all" icon in your email application. If you use the "reply" icon, your response will be sent only to the person who sent the email.

SEASL T-shirts are in process. Stay tuned.

Future programs were discussed:
Next month will be the coral propagation workshop.
November will likely be a DIY interest center program. Details are still being worked out.
December will likely be the Inland Aquatics trip.

Future programs may include: a trip to the St. Louis Children’s Aquarium, visit to Zilla III, a visit by Walt Smith (oops, did I forget to mention that at the meeting???), discussion on seahorses, etc. We’ll organize those as we get closer to the end of the year.

Member Discussion/Current Issues:

The group asked about membership in MACNA. The Executive Officers recognized that we need to learn more about that organization and conduct a cost/benefit analysis of membership.

Store tours were discussed. Interest seemed strong enough to begin returning to some of the stores we visited last season.

Velko of Aquatic Treasures in Highland, IL will be opening a store in Fairview Heights, IL. We’ll pass along the grand opening date once that is determined.

I discussed the value of an automatic battery backup air pump and passed around such a pump for everyone to see.

I shared my experience this summer regarding the importance of maintaining magnesium in order to maintain calcium and pH. Magnesium was the key for me to much more easily maintain Ca and pH.

Barry Pearlman discussed his experiment with LED lighting. It’s not perfect yet, but it has great potential.

Program - Reef Lighting led by George Grissmann (aka Griss)

George began by discussing the advancements made in reef lighting from standard output fluorescent bulbs to the myriad of metal halide bulbs now available. George brought in examples of different ballasts and explained the pros and cons of each. He also offered first hand advice on lighting configurations, bulb wattages and colors based on member’s questions. Based on his experiences, here is a list of several sites George likes for his lighting needs:

http://www.lampsnow.com/, http://www.premiumaquatics.com/, or https://ssl.adgrafix.com/users/coralsan/secure/web_store.cgi

If you have more questions for George, you can find him on http://reefcentral.com/index.php?s= as Griss.

The meeting ended with door prize drawings for five corals, a grab bag of donated macro algaes, hot dogs and hamburgers courtesy of Chef Barry, a great spread of deserts (an important SEASL tradition) and good conversation.

Hope to see you next month!