PDA

View Full Version : My Big Boy Ric and question

Winged Ocean
08/07/2003, 06:45 PM
Here he is again, moved into my 5.5gl with pc lighting.
I thought he would stay smaller since its under better lighting. I was soooo wrong! Its just getting bigger! When its fully spread, its about 5 inches across now. :eek2:
I already have a baby from it which is about two inches across now. I feed my rics consistantly and they are growing fast and big.
When I get a better pic of my big ric fully laid out I will post to show how he is a monster in my little 5.5gl.

My question though is I have several more babies forming from this bug guy and was wondering how much I can sell the babies for? As big as these get I will be very overrun with rics.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/4611big_ric.jpg

Winged Ocean
08/07/2003, 06:48 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/4611babyric.jpg

The other babies are still forming.

Bryan Thompson
08/07/2003, 11:29 PM
It is a nice color but not rare as far as Yuma's go so probably $10-$15 each once they get around 2". Try posting for some trades to get a little diversity in your tank. I am sure a few of the people here would like a few.

Bryan

Tagamet
08/07/2003, 11:48 PM
Hi,
I agree with Bryan in that it's not particularly rare, but it IS particularly pretty. I'd go for a thermos trade with you if you're interested. Just selling them kills most deals because of the shipping. I've got some nice bright orange ricordea with lime green mouths that are dropping babies, and many other rics that are currently too small to frag (but won't be for long). I also have several very colorful zoo combinations, if they float your bost. I'm in central PA.
Tagamet

Winged Ocean
08/08/2003, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have thought of trade too, since I am going to be turning one of my tanks into just a ric and zoo tank.
I'm going to have three babies from this guy that will need a home, but two of them are still forming from blobs and just now showing bumps, and one is sitting right under the big one so as soon as it is hardy enough I will cut it and reattach it to a rock. The baby pictured above is one that I am keeping. Amazing how attached you can get to them when you've watched them grow from a wee blob. hehe
So it will be a few months or more before any of them are ready to go.
Tagamet, when they are ready for trading I will look you up and see if you are still interested by then.

Thanks again

Tagamet
08/08/2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Winged Ocean
Thanks for the replies.
I have thought of trade too, since I am going to be turning one of my tanks into just a ric and zoo tank.
I'm going to have three babies from this guy that will need a home, but two of them are still forming from blobs and just now showing bumps, and one is sitting right under the big one so as soon as it is hardy enough I will cut it and reattach it to a rock. The baby pictured above is one that I am keeping. Amazing how attached you can get to them when you've watched them grow from a wee blob. hehe
So it will be a few months or more before any of them are ready to go.
Tagamet, when they are ready for trading I will look you up and see if you are still interested by then.

Thanks again

Sounds great. I'm very patient and by then, I'll have even more rics from which to choose.
Please do get back to me.
Thanks,
Tagamet

Winged Ocean
08/09/2003, 12:46 AM
Well, after moving some things around today in the tank I found I actually have another ricordea blob so that makes four babies. I'm such a proud grandma :rollface: ...One has already formed its little bumps and is still just so little. Adorable. Need batteries for my camera but am going to take a pic of it soon. If it will show up being that small.
I will be looking for zoo's and rics for trade since I want to devote a tank to the two types. I would love to have another yuma baby of a different color. I love the changing colors of yumas when they go from fully expanded to deflated.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/4611Big_Ric.jpg
This is him expanded under NO lights in old tank. You can see the HAMMER coral going for him. New pic under pc's coming soon.
You can clearly see the color changes between the two pics though. It has a hot pink skin underneath his very BUBBLY body. And yes he is very big and bubbly. :lol: Like I said, he has grown more since this pic.

Tagamet
08/09/2003, 08:14 AM
Congrats on the babies!(again). I too am hoping to devote a tank to coralamorpharians and zoos. Possibly the 120 that's currently a work in progress (almost done though). Right now I'm at the "collecting good brood stock" phase, using my other tanks for rearing the critters. I already have a few colonies that are fraggable, but my really nicest guys are still very small and need some time to grow before being ready for prime time.
I know we can work something out, it we're both patient.
Tagamet

Zepplin
08/11/2003, 04:17 AM
Hey Winged Ocean

Congratulations on the beautiful ricordea, and the beautiful babies. I know that prices on these mushrooms vary quite a bit from place to place, but I saw a ricordea yuma on ReefScience that looks very close to yours, except it sold for $55.00!

Is yours orange and turquoise? The price you can set for ricordea has a lot to do with the size of the ricordea, but take a look at the picture on ReefScience. I think its the 7th picture down under the soft corals link.

www.reefscience.com

-Meg :)

Winged Ocean
08/13/2003, 10:16 AM
Hi Meg....From the pic I saw at reef science, those look like floridas unless they changed the pic. Mine though is orange with blue rings around the edging with a pink skin underneath. I saw yuma's going for $55 as well, but mine will be babies when traded or sold. I will most likely trade since the shipping for one of those babies will be high. Unless someone still wants to pay the cost to ship.
Right now, my big boy ric is being a pain in my butt..LOL I detached him fom the rock to move him and well, now in the middle of the night he floats off..time and time again. I think I might have him cornered in good enough for no more float-aways. :rolleyes:
All the babies are fine and accounted for.
Take care

Zepplin
08/13/2003, 10:24 PM
Ohhh, you followed the soft FRAGS link, not the soft CORALS link. The soft corals link is below the one you selected. The ones 7th down under the soft corals link are definitely Yumas.

-Meg :)

Winged Ocean
08/14/2003, 05:24 PM
Ahah! You were so right Meg. LOL I did go to the wrong one.
Mine looks similiar to that except mine has blue rings around the edging...In the pic above of the baby one, you can see how the rings are. So there is less blue to the whole thing then the one at reefscience.

SaltwaterSensei
08/19/2003, 12:13 PM
same thing happened to my hot pik yuma once I added the 400watt mh (which it sits directly under) it got huger, on its best days its nearly 6 inches.

Winged Ocean
08/20/2003, 11:48 PM
Oh, I would love to have a hot pink or red yuma. Thats on the top of my list of corals to search for. Christmas is coming and I am already making that list out! :lol:
I have finally begun the remodeling of my 29gl tank for rics and zoo's only. Already put a few frags in there from my other tanks to get things going. Still waiting on all the yuma babies to get bigger for trade. Can't wait. :D

Tagamet
08/20/2003, 11:53 PM
.....Still waiting on all the yuma babies to get bigger for trade. Can't wait. :D

Me too!
Tagamet

Winged Ocean
08/21/2003, 12:14 AM
Don't worry Tag. LOL ...Actually all are at different growth stages. Is it too much of a risk to ship them any smaller then 2 inches? One is a fully formed ric already, but just very small. I don't want to take the risk if it is great.

Tagamet
08/21/2003, 06:33 AM
Don't worry Tag. LOL ...Actually all are at different growth stages. Is it too much of a risk to ship them any smaller then 2 inches? One is a fully formed ric already, but just very small. I don't want to take the risk if it is great.

Zeppelin???

I've received very small ones by thrmos trade, but none that I liked this much, so I'd want Meg's emprimator.
Tag

Winged Ocean
08/22/2003, 01:28 PM
Hey Tag, I've got a clam shell that has two blobs of these babies on them. So someone will have to be willing to trade for the two. You interested? They are almost fully formed, but not quite yet though. A couple of more weeks maybe. They are alittle bigger then the one that already has all its little bumpies. I would be interested in some zoo's. Have any pics of your zoo's?

SaltwaterSensei
08/22/2003, 05:35 PM
feed them they'll grow alot faster....

Tagamet
08/24/2003, 11:25 PM
Hey Tag, I've got a clam shell that has two blobs of these babies on them. So someone will have to be willing to trade for the two. You interested? They are almost fully formed, but not quite yet though. A couple of more weeks maybe. They are alittle bigger then the one that already has all its little bumpies. I would be interested in some zoo's. Have any pics of your zoo's?

Yes, I have some very nice zoos (and pics). I've had a rough couple of days though - zero sleep 2 nights ago and 3 hours last night (and a 30 gallon flood to deal with as well. PM your email address and I'll send off a zip of some pics. Do you have a fast connection? It determines how big I can make the pics. My current favorites are zoos that are a bright grren skirt and a lavender disk, or chocolare skirts and a lighter brown disk and a beautiful bright blue/aqua center. Also have orange/orange combos.
I have the pics taken already, but it's after midnight and I have work coming up. Let me know if any of these might float your boat.
Tagamet

Winged Ocean
08/25/2003, 04:47 PM
Tag, u've been PMed ;)

Tagamet
08/25/2003, 05:22 PM
Got it and replied.
Tagamet

pelagic
09/07/2003, 02:07 AM
Hello,

What kinds of foods will rics eat? Will smooth mushrooms eat at all?

C.J.

SaltwaterSensei
09/07/2003, 05:48 PM
I feed my rics a lot of different things....

I feed them clams, mussels, scallops, squid, prawns, krill, and the ocasional piece of salmon. I also inject selcon into the meaty foods with a hypodermic needle. So they get an added boost.....has made mine grow like crazy sauce.

pelagic
09/07/2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks, SaltwaterSensei, for replying to my question. I remember long ago my florida rics ate frozen brine shrimp and would catch live adult brine shrimp. Since then, I have not been able to get mushrooms and zoanthids of any kind to eat. Usually they just grow on their own or fade away.

C.J.