PDA

View Full Version : Back Wall Overflow-Center brace removal?

Dakan
08/05/2003, 01:56 PM
I am ordering a new 120 glass tank to fit my current stand today. However after reading the article in reefkeeping online I think I would prefer to go with the centered linear overflow box. However I was worried about the center cross brace being in the way. Would it be in the way of the durso standpipes I plan on useing, and would it make life a hassle having to work around the cross brace. Can the tank be made without the cross brace or could the make the tank with a smaller brace?

Thank You,

John

gregt
08/05/2003, 03:22 PM
How much of a hassle it's going to be depends on the exact layout. It may not be a big deal at all. I'm not sure.

Depending on the size of the tank, you can have it built with bracing around the edges (commonly called "euro bracing") and avoid the center brace. Here's a diagram of a tank with euro bracing: http://www.livinglava.com/newtank.htm

Dakan
08/05/2003, 06:33 PM
Thank you Greg. Your advise really helped. I decided to go with the euro bracing. This way I can have easy access to a center overflow and no cross brace in the way.I ordered my tank today and it should be ready in a week or so.

One more Question. Would you have the tank drilled in the bottom or the back. What is the major benefit of either.

Thank you,

John

gregt
08/05/2003, 06:48 PM
It's really personal preference. Drilling the bottom probably gives you a slightly more free-flowing drain, but I don't think that's a big concern in general. I'd probably drill the bottom unless you want a smaller overflow that doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the tank.