PDA

View Full Version : Rude welcome from my Yellow tang

reef120
05/03/2001, 03:48 PM
Well we all know how aggresive a yellow tang can be but this guy is pretty mean. yesterday I bought the fish I've been wanting the Hipo tang I finally found one that was in awesome shape nice and fat with nice color. Well I introduced him to my tank and my yellow tang follows him everywhere,doesnt want the hipo to touch any food by puching him out of the way(no nipping just pushing). The yellow tank wants to rule the entire tank (120gal). Is there anything you suggest or will this all pass and hipo will be accepted in time. I dont want the hipo tp get stresed and not eat..

reef120

JG
05/03/2001, 03:55 PM
I just added a copperband butterfly a few days ago and my purple tang chased him all over for 2 days. Now he could care less about the copperband.

Give it a few days, I'm sure they're warm up to each other

rshimek
05/03/2001, 08:04 PM
I would suggest that the Marine Fish forum may give you a lot more useful information, than I can give, and am moving this thread there. :D

billsreef
05/03/2001, 08:25 PM
Watch closely to make sure no physical damage is being done. It might help to put the food in opposite ends of the tank to give the Hippo a better chance. They might settle down in time.

maroun.c
05/04/2001, 03:36 AM
IMO Hippos are really hardy fish and believe me it takes more than some aggressivity from ur yellow tang to have it stressed and stop eat. Mine went through lots of stress whether from disease or from other fish and me tearing up the tank to get him out and take him to the Q tank (3 times) and to the worst, once his tail got stuck in the net and while trying to release him out I caused a nasty cut on his tail, add to that a few freshwater dips... (No i'm not happy of all I made him go through) but he just handled all that and is in good shape now and never stopped eating. It really is my favorite fish. I am sure that in a few days u'll be telling us that he started to stand back to the yellow tang and that he will be doing great.
Good luck.
Maroun

reef120
05/04/2001, 07:37 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to my post. everyone is so helpful everytime I have posted here on this site and I cant be any happier. I now feel much better and have more comfidence that my hipo will make it through all of this. Thanks everyone...

Reef120