PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores

dela
07/29/2003, 02:19 PM
Hey guys.

I'm going to be heading your way this summer and was wondering what there is to do in Gulf Shores besides lay out on the beach?

I thought it might be cool to go snorkeling and collect some Live Sand to bring back, but I don't know how safe the area is.

Any thoughts? :D

greenbean36191
07/29/2003, 04:03 PM
There really isn't much to see if you go snorkeling at GS, other than alot of seaweed and tar. I wouldn't get any LS there either because there are aloooot of oil rigs out there so there is alot of tar and other junk in the sand.

rscotth
07/29/2003, 08:31 PM
I definately wouldn't get any sand. First it is silica and second is pollution. There are a lot of oil rigs, but I wouldn't get sand from any place near shore where there might be any chance of pollutants.

There are a few places that friends of mine snorkle but an hours drive into Florida would be the way to go. Pensacola, Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Navarre are good snorkling sites from the beach. There are a few good LFS in Pensacola, which is only a 30 minute drive from Gulf Shores. Reefer's Aquatics and Aquaworks. They are withing 10 minutes of each other too.

dela
07/30/2003, 12:46 PM
So GS is no good eh?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/refreshmap.adp?z=4&rand=9550

Looks like Pensacola is pretty close. I'll try there first.

What about fishing? How much does it cost to go on a boat and fish?

rscotth
07/30/2003, 07:53 PM
They have party boats that run out of Orange Beach. I think they are around $35. I have never been on one but hear that they can be pretty productive. The charter boats are relatively expensive. Probably like $650 for a full day (thats 6 people). There used to be a listing of charter boats in Orange beach at .www.gcomag.com (http://www.gcomag.com). The Gulf Shores pier should be productive (king mackeral, spanish mackeral, bluefish, etc) and the little lagoon pass is good for inshore (specks and flounder). You can wade fish there. If you don't mind a little walk down a sea wall and over some rocks the jetties at Perdido pass can be pretty good. There are always people fishing there that will give you some pointers. I have seen people snorkling in the Perdido pass, but the currents can be very strong.

BTW the Perdido pass is about 10 miles east on Hwy 59 on the beach road and the little lagoon pass is about 3 miles west from 59 on the beach road. You will pass the pier on the way to Perdido pass.

dela
07/31/2003, 11:54 AM
Hey, thanks for all the help! This should be a fun trip. Hope I don't get mauled by a shark! :mixed: