PDA

View Full Version : LFS customer service?

Papio
07/28/2003, 11:21 PM
This is about my experience at this particular LFS in Spokane I dont wanna mention any names. I just wanna hear your opinions on this this situation and how you would handle it. Okay here's the deal, I just started my aquarium for a month now cycled it, and tested it I did the whole deal. I even went to this LFS to test my water. Well Im a total rookie and I just thought that since I've been going to this LFS for a while knowing that the owner knows that I'm a rookie he would help me out. I purchased a Carnation Coral (Dendronepthya). Before you question me on why I purchased it, and not doing any research on Dendronepthya's I was just thinking on how nice it would look in my tank, and that was my mistake.
This question is for other LFS here in Spokane. What would you do knowing that your customer is a newbie in saltwater, coral, and wanted to purchase a Carnation Coral. Would you advise the customer on the difficulty on this coral or sell it to the customer and not give the customer any advise on how difficult this coral is. Well that what happened to me. I purchased a Carnation Coral then found out the hardship there is in trying to keep it alive. I returned it the next day and got store credit on only fish or coral. I learned a whole lot from this experience on how this LFS does business. I really felt he was just trying to sucker me on to buying something I didnt know nothing about. It would have been really nice if this LFS gave me some advise on Carnation Coral before I purchased it. I also was kinda sour the fact that he said that information from the internet was not good, and that I should go and get a book on coral. All the information,and knowledge I've been getting since I started was from online. I feel that the internet has more information on knowledge, and more hands on experience on Coral. I really didnt want credit on his fish or livestock because I tested his water and his amonia was high. Well this is my story, feel free to add your comments. Thank you very much:(

kevinpo
07/30/2003, 06:49 AM
I would not carry those corals let alone sell one to a inexperienced hobbyist. I will only special order them for an advanced hobbyist with a warning about how hard they are to take care of.

Regards,
Kevin

Ruminari
11/20/2003, 06:37 PM
My LFS and most for that matter only give store credit if you are even that lucky for all marine animals. You definitely should have done more research, never impulse buy with this hobby that is a major downfall that I have seen many make. Also did you by chance ask the LFS about the care for this particular species of coral or did you just buy it because it was pretty? Personally I only talk with the owner of my LFS or the one guy that is in charge of the Marine section before any purchases. Additionally he was dead on about buying a book about the topic as well. I extensively utilize online resources but I also have 4-5 books on marine life. I even take one to the store when I'm going to buy or even look that way I can look up the particular specimen I have my eye on. Doing this has saved me and the specimen a lot of hardship.

randythereefer
12/12/2003, 07:34 PM
I buy everything from Kevinpo's store. I know which store you're referring to and I guess heres how to look at it. Everyone has a different selling technique. Some places are livestock dealers such as the store you went to. Other places like Kevin's seem genuinly interested in the well being of their livestock. I usually research purchases before purchaseing. Whats good for one person isn't always good for another person. For instance some people have good luck with flower pot corals and some people do not. Some people do well with anemones and some do not. I hope this helps.