PDA

View Full Version : Tetra

sterlruth
07/28/2003, 05:56 PM
:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :D :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

I wanted to get an idea of everyones feeling on Tetra since the CBS early morning show debut of Finding Nemo and the "You too can start a salt water tank"

j_mccen
07/28/2003, 05:58 PM
They did WHAT?????????:confused:

sterlruth
07/28/2003, 06:03 PM
http://24.199.132.162/

jman785
07/28/2003, 06:20 PM
This issue is just a waste of time now, I too was boycotting and still am, I'd just let it be known as to what has happened, but wouldn't take it as far enough to contact their representatives or any of that garbage. Search for my thread concerning boycotting them, then a few more popped up after I started it. :rolleyes:

:uzi: Tetra

- Jared

elefink
07/29/2003, 08:04 PM
Oy vavoy! I can't believe that presentation. Totally irresponsible. Thanks for educating me.

battplus
08/01/2003, 07:38 AM
Did you notice from the video that they left out a few things?!

Um-like the salt?
testing for SG, temp, cycling the tank, feeding, light needs, equipment needed to do this, and did you know that you can put a Regal tank in a five gallon tank with two clowns and starfish, oh and even SEAHORSES!!!!!!!

What a bunch of stupid uninformed morons!

NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM TETRA!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Voodoochild
08/01/2003, 06:18 PM
I don't like this by any means and don't buy any Tetra products (they lost my money after they came out with Easy Balance) but perhaps the network had something to do with it. Maybe they axed the salinity testing and what not do to time constraints. Just a thought.

SteveC
08/01/2003, 08:06 PM
I think Voodoochild may have a point. TV "journalism" deliberately dumbs down everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the person from Tetra arrived at the studio, went through a dry run of the presentation, and was told, "OK, axe all this chemistry crap, this is a morning show not Mr. Wizard or PBS or something." She might not have even picked the tank. Or the fish, for that matter.

Not that I'm trying to defend Tetra; she probably should have left in disgust at that point, but TV makes everything stupid and is probably what's mostly to blame for this. Tetra sucks anyhow; their food is the only brand my FW fish turn their noses up at (figuratively speaking, of course).

pubily
08/04/2003, 10:55 AM
This is a worn out topic.

battplus
08/05/2003, 08:17 AM
This a def. a worn out topic!!

All there is left to say is this is Tetra's way of selling their products---------------------------------

:fun1:

Enough said, this thread should be closed!!!!!!!!

SteveC
08/05/2003, 09:07 AM
battplus, pubily, thank you for your insight. How many other dead threads are you going to bump up to the top of the list so that you can let us know that they're dead? Or worse, agree with someone else that they're dead.

Hey, let's have a lengthy discussion about how dead this topic is! After all, here I am chiming in on the subject. Boy oh boy, is this topic dead. Yup, I've seen dead topics before, and this one has definitely gone off to meet its maker. This discussion has kicked the bucket. It's bought the farm. It's six feet under. It's in Heaven with Baby Jesus now. Hey, anybody else care to chime in and express how dead they think this topic is, preferably with a colorful metaphor?

Thank you for wasting my time. For future reference, if you think a topic is worn out, don't f***ing read it already. To everyone else, sorry for bumping up a dead discussion again, but at least I tried to make it entertaining! :)

battplus
08/06/2003, 08:03 AM
linguistics is your hobby?? Try learning how to spell publicly!!

P.S. Bump!!!!!

:D

SteveC
08/06/2003, 08:35 AM
Classic! You bumped this topic just to get in a spelling flame, and then you were totally wrong! Haa haa haa! Dude, I wasn't writing the word "publicly", I was writing the name of the user with whom you agreed on the death of this topic, which is "pubily". I was addressing both of you. Don't take my word for it, scroll up and look. Haa haa haa!

:p

battplus
08/06/2003, 08:43 AM
Stevec-

Alright c'mon I am having fun now, take it easy. If we keep replying to each other, we'll keep this in rotation forever.
Seriously though, linguistics!? Are you multilingual or something?

pubily
08/06/2003, 10:04 AM
<Bump>

Laughing...the thread is now getting interesting and off subject...which I think is great. Pubily is children's Swiss-German for a cute little boy...name of our Bernese Mt. Dog we got in Zurich.

I admire linguistics students...I was one myself. UC Berkeley, U of Madrid and undergrad in U of Guadalajara and UC Santa Barbara. Also did archival research on doctoral thesis in Seville dealing with Spanish colonial documents regarding conquest of Peru.

I admit to being a stickler for solid analysis, complete thoughts, well considered arguments. I like to think people should be all they can be to quote the U.S. Army. When I meet individuals that stumble through complex thoughts and utter completely childish comments I usually politely walk away wishing they had gotten an education. I should have done that in this case. The original poster doesn't have a clue. I found his message to be embarrassing and disappointing. I truly hope he's a young person because an adult with those ideas is a shame...a missed opportunity to make a contribution. Sorry to say that but it's true.

SteveC
08/06/2003, 10:13 AM
D'oh! :eek: I think I left my sense of humor switched off the other night. No wonder I've been so tense lately! Anyhow, ya got me! :lol:

There are a few languages I speak a bit of but none I'm really fluent in. Linguistics is the science of language, i.e., how language works (in the brain, in society, etc.). This is what I do in grad school (or at least should be doing, but here I am goofing off on RC!). Most of my work lately has been on syntax (word order, sentence structure) but the field ranges from how the mouth produces certain sounds, to how does the brain know the meaning of a word or sentence when it's uttered in a specific context (which is more complicated than it sounds). If you're really curious, check out this page (http://www.lsadc.org/web2/fldfr.htm) at the Linguistic Society of America web site.

Thanks for the gotcha; I really needed to loosen up! :beer:

SteveC
08/06/2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by pubily
Also did archival research on doctoral thesis in Seville dealing with Spanish colonial documents regarding conquest of Peru.
Wow, that sounds like some pretty cool research! Historical linguistics is fascinating stuff! :)

pubily
08/06/2003, 11:17 AM
wow...grinning. We're really off the thread now. What I enjoyed the most was philology. Studying the vulgar Latin spoken in Roman Empire and tracing the changes and influences over time...Celts, Greeks, Visigoths, Arabs...native languages. It's fascinating. Was able to work with documents from 8th century. Also enjoyed studying what is absolutely required to be able to communicate...i.e. do languages that are totally out of contact with Western languages use same parts of speech, verb tenses, how do they handle them...what's different.

In the archival work I enjoyed researching first narratives of early explorers. Fascinating also to read reports of foreign pirate attacks, first reports of indian religion and culture, etc. It's a treasure trove...most is undocumented. They recently found some Da Vinci work there...no one suspected it.

I assume you're going to OSU...good school.

Take care...

Ilikewater
08/20/2003, 02:58 AM
I wasn't going to respond but are you three people adults? If so i pity you...

battplus
08/20/2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Ilikewater
I wasn't going to respond but are you three people adults? If so i pity you...

The first determination is to assume that comments like this are from a young mind that is developed far beyond the high school level. This forum is enjoyable, post your opinion if appropriate, and remember this is a place to relax and get away from the work world.
:rolleyes:

DJ88©
08/20/2003, 09:44 AM
Either we keep it on topic.. or we move this elsewhere.

Belittling others isn't a good habit to get into. for anyone.

If you don't like what is being said. ignore it. Easy as that.