PDA

View Full Version : cycling and DTs

skippy2
07/26/2003, 08:17 PM
I added a cup of ls to my cylcing 55 on Thursday. Should I be adding DTs to feed the critters. The amm. has been 0 for 5 days and trites are at .50 as of today. thanks.:confused:

occb2
07/27/2003, 12:08 PM
Don't add DT's to just live sand. The critters in Live sand eat detritis not DT's. Also if your tank hasn't cycled yet the DT's will polute your tank. Do you have live rock? If not Ed at the fish barn has great rock at a great price. Later,
Rob

skippy2
07/27/2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks Rob. I have 64lbs of lr from the lfs and 30lbs of base rock. I just didn't want any of the critters to go hungry. btw the trites measured less than 0 today. I must be doing something right. Thanks for the help.

seaham358
07/28/2003, 09:04 AM
I was just reading about DT's on their web site and your sand bed does actually use plankton. Some of the sand bed worms eat it and the larva eat plankton. So feeding DT's to help your sand bed would not be a bad idea. There is an atricle linked to there site that has alot of info on this.
Bob

occb2
07/28/2003, 09:09 AM
I just read the same on the DR's websight. My bad. All the critters that I know in a live sand bed eat detitis, like starfish, pods, spegetti worms. But I guess a few thing do eat dt's....