PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin capture and sale between solomon islands and mexico

kazzoo3
07/22/2003, 09:50 AM
My question is why?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/07/22/mexico.dolphins.reut/index.html

MauiReefer
07/22/2003, 10:12 AM
thats sad...hopefully things will work out, and the dolphins will be ok..I pray.

Jared

Wild Card-inal
07/22/2003, 09:01 PM
The things people will do for money... :(

kazzoo3
07/23/2003, 06:13 AM
My question of why applies more to Mexico than to the Solomon Islands fishermen. It is obvious why the fishermen are doing it, survival. They see there is a market for something and "give" the market what it wants. If there wasn't a market for it, then the dolphins would still be in the waters around the Solomon Islands.

Think about it! ;)

Louis Z
07/23/2003, 09:21 AM
I can imagine some dupe looking at the dolphin upon arrival and say they are fine. How could one test for unknown infections either bacterial, viral or of parasites?

battplus
07/23/2003, 05:00 PM
They might be going on display for one of the resorts in cancun?

Bluetangclan
07/24/2003, 07:32 PM
What is wrong with these people? Are they nucking futs? Jeez. Sometimes I want to go postal. I wonder how much it would cost to bribe the mexican police to let me take out the resort? Come on these scum have no right to live. Let me at em, let me at em. Enough of this pansy lobbying crap that does nothing but cause long and boring speeches and large amounts of paperwork that do nothing, action is the way to make people listen.
well anyway back to our boring real world where things continue to worsen because no does take any action. To hell with LIberia who gives a rats a$$, we are talking important dolphins and the possible fate of all the dolphins in the Gulf, this is what our great military needs to go in and stop, would require a fraction of the resources and money. Back up the enviroment with force not words. hey thats a good slogan. hmm politics maybe....

SaveOurReefs
07/24/2003, 11:08 PM
GRRRR...

:uzi: cancun

SaveOurReefs
07/24/2003, 11:09 PM
HE-HE-HE , but i still like too scuba in cancun

GreshamH
07/25/2003, 03:02 PM
Ok, no one noticed this, COLD WATER DOLPHINS FROM THE SOLOMON ISLANDS? It was friggin 115 a few weeks ago.

Who owns the resort? Yup, their definitly connected to the right people.

BlueTangclan - The military mindset shows, go grap your gun soldier.

Bluetangclan
07/25/2003, 03:10 PM
I was infantry for 6 years, how can you tell?
I noticed the temp thing, I dont think the poor dolphins will make it in that temperature. Telling ya knocking off bad guys should be legal and give tax exemptions and civic awards.

robwsup
07/26/2003, 10:10 PM
Have none of you ever been to Seaworld, Marineland, etc? Where do you think those dolphins and killer whales came from?

Hell, a zoo can be even worse.

Rob

rsman
08/03/2003, 12:28 AM
Have none of you ever been to Seaworld, Marineland, etc? Where do you think those dolphins and killer whales came from?
Rob
are you trying to tell me those at seeworld are not tank raised
:spin2: :spin2: :spin2: :spin2: :hammer:

yes i know it its a joke got it :)

Sharpy
08/03/2003, 01:00 AM
What a terrible situation.

There should be some international protection agency to prevent such activities...I know that it's not a realistic possibility, but I sure wish it was...

:sad2: :mad: :mad2: :furious:

justinzimm
08/03/2003, 09:13 AM
I promise you all the dolphins and whales at SeaWorld/Discovery Cove are captive raised. With all the breeding going on I don't think they will ever need to take from the wild. Three things that dolpins like most are eating, sleeping and having sex with other dolphins.

gregt
08/03/2003, 09:20 AM
I've gotta laugh at your logic Bluetangclan.

Killing people is ok if they disagree with you on an ecological issue (which frankly, you don't really have a clue what the impact is. I assure you that the media is unlikely to get it right), but capturing a dolphin is evil. Also, remember that this is a reef board, so it's likely you've been responsible for capturing marine species that may be more impactful that dolphins.

Perspective people, perspective.

Bluetangclan
08/03/2003, 02:59 PM
but i am also not releasing a foriegn fish into a local body of water. Unless they are planning on having a separate completely closed off area for these dolphins, in which case as long as they have space and are treated well then no issue. But otherwise like some one said above it releases foriegn disease and bacteria into an ecosystem with no immunity. We all saw what happened(well read about it in history books) when europeans came to America and brought their diseases with them. Sure the Europeans werent sick but they were still carriers. Anything from our reefs is pretty much going to die locally if released but there are always exceptions, look at lion fish here in GA, they have a foothold.
All this does is point back to that thread a few months ago about wild caught fish being released, plain and simple.

gregt
08/03/2003, 03:19 PM
What about the billions of non-native species brought back and forth across the panama canal on the hulls and in the ballasts of commercial freighters. Just a tad more significant than a fish dolphins, IMO.

I'm not saying your general concept is wrong, I'm just suggesting we put it in proper perspective.

gregt
08/03/2003, 03:23 PM
In fact, I realize I wasn't very clear. I do not like this particular situation one bit. However, I don't think the death penalty is appropriate. ;)

Bluetangclan
08/03/2003, 03:32 PM
I was just naming the obvious one everyone should know, I am well aware of alot of the foreign land species which arent where they are supposed to be, just last week i read about a new one in Florida. Some moniter is on the loose and breeding, I think it said some 1,500 are estamated and those numbers are growing, and the are 5 feet long and perfectly happy eating on land and sea. Or New Zealand and the whole cat and rat problems.

kazzoo3
08/04/2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by gregt
I've gotta laugh at your logic Bluetangclan.

Killing people is ok if they disagree with you on an ecological issue (which frankly, you don't really have a clue what the impact is. I assure you that the media is unlikely to get it right), but capturing a dolphin is evil. Also, remember that this is a reef board, so it's likely you've been responsible for capturing marine species that may be more impactful that dolphins.

Perspective people, perspective.

Actually, there is a parallel here between what has happened with these dolphins and the aquarium trade.

First, there is a market demand. We want marine fish and invertebrates in our aquaria. The resorts want to have dolphins on hand to show the tourists (I assume that is the reason for the purchase).

Second, somebody has decided to take advantage of the market demand to make a living for themselves. There are collectors in the tropics capturing the fish and invertebrates and selling them to aquarists. Those farmers are impromptu collectors for the resorts.

But the parallel doesn't stop there. For example, people want tropical hardwood chairs, floors, tables, etc, so timber corporations are clearing forest to meet the demand and make a living. Where or what is (are) the difference(s) amongst the different situations? We could probably debate the shades of grey for a long time.

Kevk
08/10/2003, 10:18 PM
If Americains and Europeans did not pay money to go swim with the dolphins they would not be collected.

Leopardshark
09/23/2003, 04:26 PM
I really think this is a shame. Those poor dolphins do not belong to captivity ANYWHERE in the world.
That place in Can Cun is not a resort it is a fun park just like sea world near Xcaret (for those who have in in Can Cún).
And they were brought here just to satisfy all those tourists who don´t give a damn about the dolphins health, freedom, etc but only care about swimming with them and having fun from them.
Anyway, I feel very sorry for those poor mammals, and hopefully things will go ok.
Marco.
btw, I´ve never swam with dolphins and won´t do it never.