PDA

View Full Version : Ricordia/Rhodactis?

bdr127
07/21/2003, 10:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone could identify this... I'm not sure if it is a ricordia or rhodactis species. Thanks. :)

http://reeftank.cjb.net/reef/shrooms-unknown-1.jpg

J4Life
07/21/2003, 10:18 PM
It's definitely not a ricordia, but I am not sure what species of mushroom it is.

HTH's,
Bill

Azurel
07/22/2003, 08:53 AM
Yea thats not a ric for sure, do the bumps fill up into bubbles? There is a rhodactis that looks like that and has big round bubbles on it...

bdr127
07/22/2003, 09:50 AM
That's about as "filled up" as those bubbles get.....
The shroom was a hitchiker on my LR, so I'd like to be able to identify it. I have some other rhodactis in my tank, but it looks completely different....

joetbs
07/22/2003, 11:02 AM
I have one that's similar, looks almost like a Bubble Tip Anemone. It flattens out like that at night. Mine does have tentacles on the side though. Does it have a mouth when the lights are on?

Zepplin
07/30/2003, 06:44 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm... I don't know. Most Rhodactis I see have marginal tentacles, then again "elephant ear" mushrooms or Rhodactis mussiodes don't. It certainly looks nothing like a hairy, bullseye, or tonga mushroom, which are all included in the Rhodactis genus.

Here's the thing, as Eric Borneman recently educated me, mushroom taxonomy is extremely dated and confusing. The whole identification methodology used for mushrooms needs serious retooling. Thankfully, there is work being done to correct this taxonomy problem.

It could be a Rhodactis, but I'm betting its a discosoma. Many discosoma have raised bumps on their surface. I'm 99.9% positive its not a ricordea though.

If you want a more expert eye, post your query and picture in "The coral forum". Eric will give it the once over for you.

-Meg :)

KikoRTAW
08/19/2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by joetbs
I have one that's similar, looks almost like a Bubble Tip Anemone. It flattens out like that at night. Mine does have tentacles on the side though.

Joetbs, i have 3 of them. I feed them with chopped up mussels regularly.

Mike