PDA

View Full Version : Is this some kind of mushroom??

Team Slug
07/17/2003, 08:37 PM
I found this yesterday morning as the lights in the tank went on. It closed up real fast afterwards. Obviously it's nocturnal. It looks like an anemone to me except for the mouth and it also closes up like a mushroom. The white glob appears to be a clump of brine shrimp shells. Any ideas?

http://www.concentric.net/~Sspink/graphics/fish/105_0552_small.JPG

http://www.concentric.net/~Sspink/graphics/fish/105_0564_small.JPG

dwarfatize
07/17/2003, 11:45 PM
I have something similar. I think dr. Ron classified it as a zooanthid.

chet-tonja
07/18/2003, 12:43 AM
Can't really tell, but it looks like some kind of aptasia??? Maybe someone else has an idea...

Nyxll
07/18/2003, 01:29 AM
Well its not a zooanthid. Looks like some sort of anemone to me.

Greg

dwarfatize
07/18/2003, 01:40 AM
is the link
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178250

Nyxll
07/18/2003, 02:30 AM
But the tentacles on this post are much longer than in the dr. Ron post. Zoos are commonly called button polyps.

Greg

Team Slug
07/18/2003, 07:58 AM
In another thread it was indentified as possibly an orange ball corallimorphian. Some pictures I found on the web do look very similar with slightly brighter coloration.

Azurel
07/18/2003, 08:30 AM
that is a ball anemone

acroporas
07/18/2003, 09:57 AM
My first thought was orange ball corallimorphian as well.

Team Slug
07/18/2003, 09:18 PM
Well...after seeing more pictures in books I am convinced beyond doubt that it is an orange ball corallimorphian. Now I just need to figure out whether my blenny is safe around this thing at night when it comes out.

Azurel
07/18/2003, 09:45 PM
I'm sure he will be, They don't get real huge the largest one I ever saw was about an inch, I don't think they get any bigger then that. I'm not 100% positive though....

GreshamH
07/19/2003, 02:45 PM
100% an "orange ball anemone" aka pseudocorynactis caribbeorum (a colallimorph). No danger for you fish, I've got hundreads of them with no fish lose. They're nocturnal mainly.

Keith Sheridan
07/23/2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Team Slug
In another thread it was indentified as possibly an orange ball corallimorphian. Some pictures I found on the web do look very similar with slightly brighter coloration.
I have a couple of these in my tank and I have always thought of them as these. There is some small bit on them in borneman's coral book.

DvSkIn
07/25/2003, 05:25 PM
I'm gonna also vote for orange ball anemone. Same reason as well, Borneman's book!!! Great book, lemme tell you!!!

DVS

Keith Sheridan
07/25/2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DvSkIn
Same reason as well, Borneman's book!!! Great book, lemme tell you!!!

Agreed. I truly believe that everyone in this hobby should own this.

ReefSharkDudeGuy
07/31/2003, 09:38 PM
Most definitely an orange ball. I got another crazy nocturnal polyp that looks like a corallimorpharian. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, but it has six larger tentacles, maybe about half and inch long each with bulbs on the tip. The oral disk is large in comparison to the tentacles, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. It is dark red and white, with some brownish hues from what I can tell. It opens every night and retreats into the rock when the lights come on, and has been there for about a year now. It's a loner...any clue what it might be?

Hope I'm not ruining this thread...

dude

pat_man_ta
04/07/2004, 11:38 AM
I have a bunch of these little guys (or something very similar) on a LR rubble piece i got to seed my sponge filter for my QT. Mine look like pink dots when they are closed. Mine seem to actually like the light though.

StrongHandsMcGee
04/12/2004, 12:11 AM
Yep, looks just like the little orange ball anemones that I got on some LR. They're totally safe, and they don't multiply very quickly unless you feed them. Once they get a little larger (1/2" tops), they're quite pretty.

MarLooney
04/17/2004, 04:46 AM
there was a reefkeeping.com article on corallimorpharians that had a good pic of one. can't find it anymore. anyway i thought the same thing as soon as a saw it.

Dantheman3
04/21/2004, 04:08 PM
I have had one of these exact things like in the first pic and I did not know what it was. I thought it was just another random anemone so I have been feeding it brine shrimp(it can only take one at a time) but it does not close in the light. It does in fact get bigger at night though. It doesn't seem to bother anything so I'll keep feeding it and see what happens. Can you tell I'm a newbie. HeHe

pat_man_ta
04/22/2004, 08:10 AM
My peppermint shrimp and hermits went after mine when i added them to my display tank. Has anyone else had this experience?

SiniStar
04/22/2004, 06:52 PM
Heres the link here: its a Pseudocorynactis spp

Very last paragraph on the page.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm (Advanced Aquarist)

pat_man_ta
05/03/2004, 09:08 AM
HERE (http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?sp=Corynactis_californica)
Strawberry anemone (club-tipped anemone, more correctly a corallimorph). I fed mine up to /5" then added it back to the main tank. My peppermint went after it again
:mad2:

MarLooney
05/03/2004, 02:15 PM
does anybody have these growing in a colony like the link? even a small one...

pat_man_ta
05/05/2004, 03:23 PM
I am trying to get mine to. They seeem to try to spread out first. Then perhaps they'll cluster up.

MarLooney
05/05/2004, 05:30 PM
here's mine:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3414/38399Pseudocorynactis_sp.JPG

i took another look at that advancedaquarist article. "Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group." that sucks but oh well. it'd be cool to have it 6". mine is only about 1 1/2" right now. i think i need to feed it more. it also says "The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta." but it looks like mine has a clear center with light blue specs. maybe it's just in need of more food to get healthy and color up.

pat_man_ta
05/05/2004, 05:44 PM
i feed mine brine shrimp