PDA

View Full Version : SCWD, Premium Aquatics, Hellolights

Fliger
07/17/2003, 08:13 PM
OK, I'm making another order from PA next week so if anyone really wants a SCWD lemme know. I'll tally them up.

I'm also ordering from hellolights. I was using a Radium & thought it was too white but it has turned a real nice shade of blue so I'm not AS in a rush to order the XM now. But if other people are going to order, I'm in. Unfortunately hellolights shipping kind of sucks for bulk orders.

ALSO ... I'm going to order some grasses from Florida Pets. Turtle grass and two others that he carries. I want some green in the new tanks. If anyone would like to try this, lemme know. I think it looks awesome & I'm not sure why more people don't use it.

So ... lemme know!

tendar
07/17/2003, 11:00 PM
Fenner recomends Inland Aquatics for turttle grass since they have to be very carfull with the roots or they will not make it. Plan to setup a turttle grass above tank refugium a little latter on so been doing so research.

Fliger
07/17/2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks Gregg. I had narrowed it down to FL Pets or there is an RC guy who sells it. I will look into Inland Aquatics, didn't know they sold it.

David

BLUESMAN
07/19/2003, 02:40 PM
David,Let us know when you are doing the light order.My brother and I will need 48" VHO bulbs and endcaps.Buggle(since I'm his official spokesperson!!) will need 24" VHO's and endcaps.Blue

muzzelfuzz
07/19/2003, 04:22 PM
darn sorry guys i could of backpacked a hellolight order with mine i just got it in thursday i guess i should watch the fourms a little better..lol

mojodeli
07/20/2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BLUESMAN
Buggle(since I'm his official spokesperson!!) will need 24" VHO's and endcaps.Blue

When people finish medical school they usually call their spokespersons - secretaries. As long as you're ok with that Blue you'll still be fine in my book. :-)

BLUESMAN
07/20/2003, 04:14 PM
Heck He's got my young son cleaning his tank and giving advice,I have no problem with being buggle's spokesperson...as long as he is supplying the BEER!!Blue

Fliger
07/21/2003, 04:07 PM
Hey Blue I'm actually going to place an order to PA this week and hellolights next week (or so). I'm not sure which place carries the stuff you're looking for. It sounds like All Aq gets a good deal on SCWD so I'll probably support my LFS. Lemme know on the lighting supplies & I'll order them. I can drop them off some day at lunch.

David

BLUESMAN
07/21/2003, 04:17 PM
Fliger,Next week is fine or after is OK too.I might be needing more than I thought.We are looking at 6 bulbs total,so if anyone needs two bulbs...the shipping is the same($20).Keep us informed.Blue

buggle
07/21/2003, 05:43 PM
We may be exceeding the 8 bulbs w/ just me, you and your bro. If you want four, your bro two and me possibly 2-4 (I may need to replace 2 of my 48" VHOs, they're about 8 mos old), that'll make 8-10 bulbs. I'll probably order sometime this week, gotta check the account. I'll keep you posted.

buggle

BLUESMAN
07/23/2003, 07:45 PM
Fliger,I went ahead and ordered with buggle at hellolights.I will need some other lighting equipment soon,planning on metal halides on the next tank.I'm looking for a cost cutting MH ballast locally for the bulbs.I will need at least bulbs and sockets.thanks Blue

mx_tang
07/23/2003, 08:01 PM
Blue,

What kind of MH ballasts are you looking to buy? I'm going to upgrade my lighting to DE HQI MH's and will have a few 175w Hamilton retros as well as some advance ballasts that I had way back when, but I'll have to track them down because they're somewhere in the closet.

Otherwise, if you're going to get DE ballasts, then you could probably ask a few LFS if they carry them or "if" they could order them. Otherwise, I know that a lot of RC's sponsors have specials running all the time on that type of lighting.

BLUESMAN
07/23/2003, 08:14 PM
Mike,I am looking at two 250watters.I can't decide weather to get the "XM"'s (20K) or the Iwasiki's(6.5K).Also would like to get an electronic ballast,but Fulham does'nt seem to be making them yet.I'm planning on using two 110w VHO's too.Whatcha Got??Blue

mx_tang
07/23/2003, 08:46 PM
I don't have any 250w, since I'm upgrading to 250w myself. On the electronic ballasts, I hear good things about the Icecaps except for the fact that they underdrive their bulbs. This preserves bulb life, but it's also not exactly 250w. These are what I'm ordering with some PFO mini pendants and the DE 10k bulbs. I've used AB and Ushio before and I'm happy with them. I used Saki's a long time ago...I might have still been in elementary school at the time, but I can't recall :D. Anyway, I never really liked the colors from them, although their PAR is really high. I have never tried the XM bulbs before, so no comment there. Most of the people I talk to with MH in Az are using either the AB or Ushio's.

What I have are 2 x 175w advance ballasts w/sockets and 2 x175w hamilton retro kit ballasts w/sockets. I also have 2 x 10k Ushio bulbs NIB and 2 others that were used for 3 months before I disassembled everything and put them away. Oh, and I've got various other MH bulbs that I used for 6-8 months and then replaced them. Originally, I was going to grow phyto with the used bulbs, but that's major overkill. Maybe I'll just bring them to the yard sale. I just need to get rid of the clutter.

Fliger
07/24/2003, 01:07 AM
Mike I'd be interested in the 175W. I'm alternating 175W 10,000K with 250W Radium. Ordering XM soon. I really like the 175W Aqualine bulbs. They run a very nice crisp white with a little blue IMO. Plus they're pretty cheap. But I'd like to test the Ushios, heard they're very good also.

Blue if you'd like to check out intensities of 175 vs 250 & 10KK vs 20KK, I got 'em all. I also have 250W DE & mogul. Most of them are still in boxes & from hellolights I still need the DE 250 bulb & the XM. I'm going to be running some lighting experiments down here in Gilbert. Make a field day of it & bring some beer. :beer:

Before I decided to go open top/pendants, I looked into retros. I thought the retros from hellolights were the best deal out there. They also run frequent sales on them.

mx_tang
07/24/2003, 04:27 AM
Which 175w were you interested in, David? The ballasts, bulbs, or both?

Fliger
07/24/2003, 10:57 AM
Hey Mike, just the 175W Ushios if you wanna separate them. Maybe even the used ones if you don't think they've lost any spectrum yet.

soosberries
07/24/2003, 11:44 AM
Mike - sent you a PM

I'm interested in any of the used 175 wt bulbs you have that will run on the M57 ballast - I just bought 2 of the XM's 20k's but would like to have 1 or 2 backup bulbs in case one or both go bad.

Norm

mx_tang
07/24/2003, 06:38 PM
There have been a few people who have wanted the ballasts with the bulbs, so if I don't sell the ballasts, then I'll separate them.

Norm, I sent you a PM.

Anybody else interested in these, please just PM me, so we don't take up too much more space on this thread. Sorry about that, David :)

muzzelfuzz
07/24/2003, 06:48 PM
what are you asking for the ballast and bulbs together i may be intrested in one?

Fliger
07/24/2003, 06:51 PM
Not a problem. Matter of fact, I think a dual 175W retro would look great over a 46G bowfront. Hmmmm ...

mx_tang
07/24/2003, 07:11 PM
The retros probably would look good in anything...and I even have some highly reflective aluminum cut in 2' sections that would act as a fairly nice reflector. Anyway, the advance ballasts and slightly used Ushio's are pending...everything else is still available. I'll bring everything to the yard sale next week if things don't fall through.