PDA

View Full Version : participants urgently needed for goniopora experiment!!!!!!!!!!

glh7767
04/25/2001, 10:01 AM
Dear PARC members:

I was recently supposed to participate in an experiment whose protocol was put together by Dr. Ron Shimek involving the green flowerpot coral goniopora. As of now, the experiment has been put on hold as we need 40 total participants to validate the results, and a number of people dropped out. We need participants, and i'm asking the PARC members to help. this could also make for interesting discussions and followups at PARC meetings.
Basically, the project goes as follows:
Hypothesis: Goniopora species have a poor survival rate in captivity. Some anectodal observations have been made that if two colonies are maintained so that they can contact each other, survival rates are greatly enhanced.
Experiment: Each participant will be provided with 4 specimens. Two specimens are to be placed in the participant's reef tank so that they contact each other, the other two positioned so they do not contact. Observation and recording of changes, overall health patterns, untimely demise, etc., are to be faithfully documented in a log.

What is required of you:
1. Absolute committment to the project. In other words, only those willing to participate need respond to this posting. Maybe is not adequate. that's why this project is on hold now.
2. Approximately 60-70 dollars. The four specimens will be provided to the participants at $15.00 each, $60.00 total, plus shipping. Shipping cost will drop dramatically if i can get 10 willing participants. I will take delivery and then take responsibility to get the specimens to local participants. i will find out the actual per person cost if i can get that number of participants, but for now be prepared for a $70 cost. These are being provided at cost, and will be chosen to be about the same size, health, etc.
3. room enough in your tank to position two of these so they touch (probably not a problem), and two so they don't touch anything (more difficult, remember they extend quite a distance and do sting).

You can contact me, Gary Henkel, at glh7767@erols.com directly for more info, or respond to this posting. I'd like to get this going in the next few weeks, so if your able to help, contact me asap! This is an opportunity to add to our knowledge of this beautiful species, and possibly to cut down on the number of fatalities occurring in our tanks. Thanks for your help.

Gary

glh7767
04/25/2001, 11:20 AM
Guys, i screwed up on the cost factors. you should find this even more appealing. The goniopora specimens are being provided at $10 each, $40 total. Shipping to an individual of 4 corals is $30, so the total cost to an individual would be $70. If i can get 9 people plus myself involved with this project, shipping for 40 specimens is $60 total, the cost to an individual becomes 40+6 or $46! So your cost to participate and get 4 corals is $46. Hopefully that will convince more people to participate. Thanks.

Gary

amonhen
04/26/2001, 08:42 AM
Gary,

I'd *love* to do this, but I am not sure if I have the space. I have a 55 gallon tank, with bascially a 3" strip of empty sand along the front--is that enough space? If this isn't enough, how much is--can you give a set of dimensions? You said they will sting--how far will these be able to reach?

Is any consideration being given to differences in water flow in the different places? Do we need to document water parameters, etc.?

Finally, is it set yet as to when it will happen? I have a 5-day trip planned in May and another in the beginning of August, so I won't be around to keep records, though I will have someone around who may be willing to, depending on what records are needed.

--Jeff Ware

reefguyinpa
04/26/2001, 12:41 PM
Gary,
I am definetly in! Are there any tank requirements besides the space? What sort of observations need to be kept? These are just a few of the questions that come to mind. E-mail me with any other details that you can think of!
Thanks,
JimB.

3moons1star
04/29/2001, 08:53 PM
Gary,

Sounds like an interesting project. Count me in.

Rick

glh7767
05/01/2001, 06:10 PM
thanks for your responses, guys. as i understand it, and i'm trying to get clarification on this, there are no specific size limitations. but those of you who have had goniopora before know they can expand tremendously. probably not a problem for the two you want to have in contact with each other, but could be more of an issue for the two you want separated from each other, and from other corals. you may need to do some temporary rearranging. at the end of the study, assuming they all survive, you could trade them to other folks. i love the darn things, and i'm hoping the contact thing is the ticket. i have two in my tank now, a red species that is flourishing, and a green one that is slowly dying. i'll post any new info once mary gets back to me.

gary

glh7767
05/01/2001, 10:54 PM
just got a reply from mary, the coordinator for the goniopora research project. here' the info she just sent me.

Each particpant receives 4 specimens with a skeletal diameter of about 3".
Cost is ~$10 each plus shipping (which will be very minimal for 10 people.
Shipping of 40 gonioporas to your group will be about $70 or less). One pair
is placed so that they touch, the other pair are placed in the same aquarium
singly. Each specimen should be receiving about the same lighting, flow, and
feeding conditions. Observations will be made over the course of 1 year-
both data recording and photos (a camera is a MUST).

i have a digital camera, and i know some others do, so documentation shouldn't be an issue. We can still use more participants, so spread the word. thanks to the 10 folks who have already expressed a desire to help.

gary

glh7767
05/19/2001, 09:00 PM
For those of you who have expressed an interest in the goniopora experiment, we anticipate May 28 as the shipping date to get started. $46.00 will be the cost to participate, including shipping and the 4 corals. i'll try to give more details at the meeting on the 18th. i've asked to have a more detailed and formalized protocol. Dr. Ron Shimek is setting the protocol. Thanks to everyone who has agreed to participate.

gary