PDA

View Full Version : sorry, crosspost.. allergy?

lilswanwillow
07/14/2003, 08:16 PM
I dunno what else to say....
but, whenever I physically touch my shrooms, the skin on my fingers... not blister, but kinda like what happens after you pop one. it gets raw, and a layer or two comes off....
is this an allergic reaction to the shrooms? or is it something else in the tank, maybe...
no, i don't have any zoos
TIA

acroporas
07/14/2003, 08:20 PM
My shrooms have never stung me, but then bristleworms, jellyfish, and poisen ivy dont bother me either so i guess i am not much help.

lilswanwillow
07/14/2003, 08:29 PM
see, i don't have problems with bristles, or poison ivy either (never tried jellies)

and its not when I just put my hands in the tank, it ONLY happens when i touch a mushroom.... this is the second time now...
the first time was the last time I touched them, 2 weeks ago...
ugh

chet-tonja
07/15/2003, 12:39 AM
You better quit touching the mushrooms without gloves because you are probably having a reaction to them. They actually do have a pretty potent sting...especially the hairy variety...they don't bother me at all, but they do bother others. Everyone needs to be careful with the corals in our tanks!

lilswanwillow
07/15/2003, 12:57 AM
ugh... well, yeah
sometimes, just gotta... since i don't have gloves yet....
my fingers are still a little, tiny bit sore, but not as bad as they were (it only goes where I wouched the sucker)
it wasn't a hairy variety... thats what gets me!!! just a plain old slimy one.
it kinda feels like i've been playing the guitar too much... (which I should do one of these days....)
so, i guess this can be a warning to people, huh? even 'harmless' stinging stuff can hurt ya!!!!
now i just haveta get round my new lionfish without getting stung.... ouch

manderx
07/16/2003, 12:47 AM
the *exact* same thing happens to me. though it took several years to build up a sensitivity to them.

lilswanwillow
07/16/2003, 07:49 AM
ok, if it happens to you too, could you answer one question:
does it get worse each time?
along with my finger tips, i had itched my face... and it STILL looks terrible.
looks like i need gloves badly.....

manderx
07/16/2003, 12:15 PM
i wash my hands almost immediately, so i've never spread it anywhere other than my fingertips. i don't seem to be getting it quite as bad as before, maybe i'm getting desensitized, or maybe it's the washing.