PDA

View Full Version : Rhodactis /Amplexidiscus Help...

Randa
07/14/2003, 08:42 AM
This weekend a friend gave us a "hairy mushroom". It is beautiful and BIG!

I've read in E Borneman's Coral book 'bout the both types of "giant" mushrooms and think what we have is a Rhodactis.

I'm sorry I don't have a pic yet.

The mushroom is at least 6 inches in diameter. It's a very bright green w/ pinkish-brown "hair". It's mouth is bright white and it's outer edge has longer hair/tenticles. oh and, there isn't "hair" on it's mouth or right around it.

Now my questions

In the book and online I've read that Amplexidiscus has a translucenct mouth- I don't think a white mouth is considered translucent- right?

Here on RC, most post say that Amplexidiscus is the fish eater. But, the pic in Eric's book shows a Rhodactis eating a fish. Does anyone have experience w/ a Rhodactis eating fish too?

I'm not too worried 'bout it eating our fish. But, yesterday when I fed it -mysis shrimp- it did start closing us around the food. One of our cleaner shrimp decided to get in there and get some mysis before it was all the way closed. I moved the shrimp away. Even after it was closed the shrimp went back and tried getting in... Anyone have any experience w/ this? Yes, common sense told me to feed the tank their favorites before feeding the mushroom- but the cleaner stopped and came over anyway. I'm thinkin 'bout have two syringes of mysis one for the mushroom and one to squirt at the cleaners? Now, I'm worried 'bout my pig cleaner becoming a mushroom meal? Anyone have any experience w/ this?

And, what do you feed your Rhodactis? And, how often?

Thank you so much for takin the time to help me. I know that each specimen is individual and what your's does may not be what mine does... but, I need a clue either way....

Gary Majchrzak
07/15/2003, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't worry about your shrimp becoming a "mushroom meal" for Rhodactis - they move much too fast. I never {deliberately} feed my Rhodactis.